ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   air box ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/735485-air-box.html)

toigye 02 January 2009 12:36 PM

air box ?

i have noticed that the air box lower half as been drilled with about 30, 10 mm holes anyone know if this is harmfull and why it might have been done only just noticed it.

myblackwrx 02 January 2009 12:41 PM

I guess someone did it to let more air into the box.

toigye 02 January 2009 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by myblackwrx (Post 8390183)
I guess someone did it to let more air into the box.

well yes but why i wonder standard work fine dont they .any one else done this i only mention it as i have had some idel problems ....

myblackwrx 02 January 2009 12:51 PM

I would expect they did it because of poor info or something they read on the internet etc.

Normal causes of dodgy idle are an air leak,dodgy VTA,MAF or coolant temp sensor (normally only when cold though)

toigye 02 January 2009 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by myblackwrx (Post 8390211)
I would expect they did it because of poor info or something they read on the internet etc.

Normal causes of dodgy idle are an air leak,dodgy VTA,MAF or coolant temp sensor (normally only when cold though)

cheers fella thats why im askin really i have purchased a coolant sensor to fit and just wondererd if the extra holes takin in more air could have affected maf im just tryin elimination thanks for your imput ..:thumb:

and yes its only from cold ...

joz8968 02 January 2009 03:15 PM

toigye, just get yourself a cheap replacement off eBay...

toigye 02 January 2009 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 8390476)
toigye, just get yourself a cheap replacement off eBay...

yeah will sort it mate just thought id ask the question some clever guys on here :notworthy

also some :cuckoo: ones lol .....cheers pal

dan/scooby 02 January 2009 03:41 PM

used to see it done back in the day on old 3i's and that
gave a bit of an induction roar , and dependin on where the airbox was i suppose it would allow a bit more air flow
BUT never would on a scooby , would draw nothing but warm air anyway

toigye 02 January 2009 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by dan/scooby (Post 8390551)
used to see it done back in the day on old 3i's and that
gave a bit of an induction roar , and dependin on where the airbox was i suppose it would allow a bit more air flow
BUT never would on a scooby , would draw nothing but warm air anyway

yeah i would agree with that point well made thanks

dan/scooby 02 January 2009 04:16 PM

thats ok

weymouth scoobaru 02 January 2009 06:43 PM

ive got a few mates who have drilled their air boxes. it makes the car sound a bit louder and give it more of a rumble. but ive only heard of boy racers doing it to make their cars sound like subaru's.

sy. 02 January 2009 07:04 PM

its done by idiots thinking it lets more air in but it just lets heat in so it sap's performance and uses ya fuel quicker :cuckoo: