ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   did a stupid thing now engine check light is on (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/735334-did-a-stupid-thing-now-engine-check-light-is-on.html)

sparky300 01 January 2009 04:52 PM

did a stupid thing now engine check light is on

Hi, today i cleaned my air filter, now when i took off the filter box there is another large box connected to it which goes to the turbo. at the bottom of this box is a small tube which snapped off. I connected it back up thinking something this small can not be a issue, but the engine check light has come on and the engine cuts out after a few seconds. can this small tube be the issue? also had my spark plugs changed sometime back and only just started it up since I did that many be the sparky plugs are not fitted correctly, would that do the same?

ps this is what happens when someone with no experience trys to do things himself :wonder:

Boro 01 January 2009 04:55 PM

What car is it? year/model etc?

Maz 01 January 2009 04:57 PM

A vacuum pipe by the sound of it. This is causing an air leak and yes that will cause the engine to cut out.

richiewong 01 January 2009 05:06 PM

I'll guess at MAF:wonder:

Red Rocket 11166 01 January 2009 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by richiewong (Post 8388436)
I'll guess at MAF:wonder:

MAF :thumb:

sparky300 01 January 2009 06:04 PM

its a MY93 jap import

the pipe seems to go into a small silver cylinder type thing driver side. it has other tubes going out of that, no idea what it does. its only a small tube thats attaches under second box, the plastic bit it goes on to snapped off.

would this make the engine check light come on?

would the same happen if the spark plug were not fitted correctly? the engine seems to fire up fine just cuts out after a few seconds and engine light stays on now

Boro 01 January 2009 06:06 PM

There are way of checking ECU codes. Im sure someone will come along in a sec and tell you how do this now we know what year it is.

Can you post a pic of it?

sparky300 01 January 2009 06:24 PM

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/2460/wrxzv8.jpg

jsh1 01 January 2009 06:26 PM

Here is a link to a site that tells you how to check the error codes and how to read them.

It is much easier than they make it sound. Do this and then you will know what is causing the problem

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Reading ECU Fault Codes

The small cylinder thing on the drivers side is the boost solenoid by the looks of it.

Jason

sparky300 01 January 2009 06:46 PM

what does the boost solenoid does if you dont mind me asking. PS thanks for the link

mike h 01 January 2009 06:51 PM

Controls the boost:) Controls the actuator on the wastegate of the turbo.

incarsolutions 01 January 2009 07:16 PM

try blocking off the hole left in the resonator box as thats where your vacum leak is coming from, the pipe itself will do no harm just going to atmosphere as its the intake pipe for the boost solenoid

Jolly Green Monster 01 January 2009 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by incarsolutions (Post 8388786)
try blocking off the hole left in the resonator box as thats where your vacum leak is coming from, the pipe itself will do no harm just going to atmosphere as its the intake pipe for the boost solenoid

what he said

sparky300 01 January 2009 11:22 PM

my day off tomorrow so when I get some light I will do as suggested and report back. if i cannot fix the tube that snapped off the resonator box will it be ok to just block it for good and leave the other end of the pipe open like that?.

PS just to ask again if it was the spark plugs would something else be happening, noise not start etc? I will check the codes but if there is something to look out for

sparky300 01 January 2009 11:25 PM

PPS the tube thats come off is connection the the bottom of the boost solenoid not the top does that make a difference?

Jolly Green Monster 02 January 2009 10:06 AM

yes.. hugely

sparky300 02 January 2009 05:55 PM

ok sorted it.

blocking off the hole made no difference. i fixed the tube back on to the box and the engine light went out and the car was fine.

such a little thing all that fuss lol