ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Type R's and TYPE RA's - whats the difference? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/735205-type-rs-and-type-ras-whats-the-difference.html)

nathanstone 31 December 2008 06:59 PM

Type R's and TYPE RA's - whats the difference?

Hi,

Can anyone explain the difference between the various TYPE R and type RA's from sort of 96 onwards? Theres so many!?

Cheers

Nathan

BLACK V5 31 December 2008 07:08 PM

One`s got 2 doors the other has 4. Both come in wrx and sti versions.

Impreza Web Owners Club Site - IWOC

Midlife...... 31 December 2008 07:21 PM

Type R = Retna 2 door bodyshell (from the R in Retna)

RA = Race Altered (modified and lightened)

There are loads of variations of both LOL

Shaun

nathanstone 31 December 2008 07:27 PM

thanks for that :)
one more question, which one is more superior out of the wrx and sti variations, i'm guessing the STI- isnt one of them more suited to being converted into a track/ rally car?

joz8968 31 December 2008 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by nathanstone (Post 8386845)
thanks for that :)
one more question, which one is more superior out of the wrx and sti variations, i'm guessing the STI- isnt one of them more suited to being converted into a track/ rally car?

Yes. STi Type R/RA superior to regular WRX versions of either.

Yes. The RA is the one to use if you want to benefit from lightweight 'out-of-the-box'. Hence it's name "Race Altered" i.e. lightened for competition by doing away with various non-essential, road car-orientated items/styling addenda.

As for which is best depends on your priorities: If you're into car's aesthetics then the 2-door coupe Type R no doubt appeals - it's got all the bodykit, wings, creature comforts, etc. If you're a hardcore "rally driver wannabe" and simply want the fastest point-to point car, then the lighter RA would fit the bill.

That said though, AFAIK, the engine and drivetrain between the two are the same, for any given MY after MY96. Both have the DCCD and have the same really low gear ratios and final drive (Type RA might have even shorter ratios than Type R! - can't remember lol).

Pete 31 December 2008 10:42 PM

Great info again there Joz...

I think the RA has the shorter ratio though, i remember my Version 6 RA was abit shorter than my V3 i have now..I THINK ....:lol1:

nathanstone 02 January 2009 11:55 AM

Thanks- as above - great info!

bly 02 January 2009 11:00 PM

type ra is lot shorter, mine does 60 mph in 5gear at 3500 rpm

ABZ50 03 January 2009 02:42 PM

what about the type ra-r comparded to just ra what's the difference and what does the extra R stand for

thanks

TonyBurns 03 January 2009 05:51 PM

The ra-r is a new age car, so you cannot really compare them.

Tony:)

Midlife...... 03 January 2009 06:21 PM

"RA" for the new age hawkeye cars stood for Record Attempt (at the 'ring)...:D The old "RA" of the classics morphed into the Spec C.

Shaun

Midlife...... 03 January 2009 07:07 PM

oooops forgot to mention that there was a RA (Race Altered) Bugeye WRX but it's performance (viz the EVO) was woeful so it was dropped at the first bugeye update. LOL

Shaun

chris e type r 26 April 2009 04:34 PM

hi been lookin at a w reg sti type r on ebay you might have seen it classified add 5200 the guy says it dont have dccd is something not right about this car i thought all 2 door scooby sti type r s had dccd

BLACK V5 26 April 2009 04:38 PM

Sti type r had DCCD wrx type r didn`t. So thats not a sti.