ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Drink driving (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/734676-drink-driving.html)

wolfie28 29 December 2008 07:13 PM

Drink driving

Now I don't condone drive driving in anyway but the last couple of days has pi$$ed me off.

On Saturday me and the Mrs went to a mates house for some food and drinks. So we could both drink we drove there and got a taxi back home (picking the car up the next day). The cab cost £15 :mad:, it was at 6:30pm Sat afternoon, just me and the Mrs and the journey was only 7 miles :eek:. We rung around other companies but that was the cheapest :nono:.

Then today we went to a pub and I drove. Obviously not wanting to drink and drive I drank Coke at bloody £2.90 a pint :mad: :razz:. It was cheaper to have a pint of lager/beer :mad:.

You do the right thing and get boned which ever way :(.

Walwal 29 December 2008 07:19 PM

I've said for a while that boozers do nothing to help drink driving.

Lemonade/cola etc should be about a quid a pint.

Ah well, they're getting thier just desserts with loads of them shutting due to no-one getting in.

What a shame.

Turbohot 29 December 2008 07:19 PM

Yes, but drinking and driving can cost you more than a bone. So, you did the right thing. Well done getting a cab for 15 squid, and well done on driving Coca Cola-ed only :thumb:

Turbohot 29 December 2008 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Walwal (Post 8380850)

Lemonade/cola etc should be about a quid a pint.

Agree with that :thumb: Its painful to pay £2.90 for a pint of Coca Cola, even when one could be living within a walking distance from the pub.

Nat 29 December 2008 07:23 PM

On tap coke and soft drinks cost a pub feck all. They should all give it free to the nominated driver in a group if the others are buy alcohol.

Prasius 29 December 2008 07:41 PM

*Demands Free soft-drink refills in pubs!*

If I ever have a pub (unlikely), thats what I'll do! I promise the Scoobynet massive! ;)

cookstar 29 December 2008 07:45 PM

Driving home after being on the coke all night can be worse than drink driving.

So I hear. :D

David Lock 29 December 2008 07:48 PM

£15 for 7 miles is par for the course :mad: I hired part of a pub for my gal's 18th, a 20 min drive away. Booked a cab for a midnight return - 65 fecking notes :eek:

There was a TV prog some weeks ago about drink driving and they tested regular boozers after they had sunk a few. Astonishing results and I wish I could remember the exact details. Basically they could drink far more than you would guess and still be under the 35 limit. Almost an encouragement to take a chance. One of the girls who had half a dozen cocktails failed but a 6 pints of lager guy just passed and some fat old boozer who drank red wine by the vineyard hardly registered on the meter. Just adds to the confusion.

dl

Luke 29 December 2008 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 8380952)
£15 for 7 miles is par for the course :mad: I hired part of a pub for my gal's 18th, a 20 min drive away. Booked a cab for a midnight return - 65 fecking notes :eek:

There was a TV prog some weeks ago about drink driving and they tested regular boozers after they had sunk a few. Astonishing results and I wish I could remember the exact details. Basically they could drink far more than you would guess and still be under the 35 limit. Almost an encouragement to take a chance. One of the girls who had half a dozen cocktails failed but a 6 pints of lager guy just passed and some fat old boozer who drank red wine by the vineyard hardly registered on the meter. Just adds to the confusion.

dl

i watched that...some bloke went well over 6 pints i think ! i would not find my car after 5 pints !

i get nervous if i even have a glass of wine and have to drive. My license is clean and i need it !

Snazy 29 December 2008 08:47 PM

I thought Coca Cola did the right thing this year with buy 1 get 2 free on soft drinks at certain places.
At least they are trying to make a difference.

Sad that the pubs insist on ripping people off. Being a non drinker I have got used to the stupid prices.

The Dogs B******s 29 December 2008 08:58 PM

Its just not worth doing,yesterday i went to football and before the game i had a pint of lager,then a pint of shandy,3hours later i still made the wife drive home.

Snazy 29 December 2008 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 8381162)
Its just not worth doing,yesterday i went to football and before the game i had a pint of lager,then a pint of shandy,3hours later i still made the wife drive home.

:thumb: :luxhello:
Good man :)

cookstar 29 December 2008 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 8381162)

If that's the case, why didn't you get hammered. :)

The Dogs B******s 29 December 2008 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 8381413)
If that's the case, why didn't you get hammered. :)

Because i was still hung over from the night before:D

ScoobyDriverWannabe 29 December 2008 10:22 PM

Your lucky, allot of pubs up here you cant even get a pint of coke, its them stupidly priced crappy measures, made up mostly of ice.

I did a similar thread a wile back

cookstar 29 December 2008 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 8381437)
Because i was still hung over from the night before:D

Good enough. :thumb:

The Dogs B******s 29 December 2008 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar (Post 8381471)
Good enough. :thumb:

Cheers:thumb:

Tam the bam 29 December 2008 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nat21 (Post 8380868)
On tap coke and soft drinks cost a pub feck all. They should all give it free to the nominated driver in a group if the others are buy alcohol.

Absolutely spot on, that bag in box shoite costs like a penny a pint (or it did when I worked in the trade) I charged 50p a pint for soft drinks out the tap and that was when beer was £2 a pint, other bars round about were charging the same for bag in box soft drinks as they were for pints.... Madness!! :cuckoo:

David Lock 29 December 2008 11:53 PM

Anyone tried non-alcoholic beer? Jeeeeeeeez that stuff tastes awful..... dl

Lee247 29 December 2008 11:57 PM

What fantastic responses in this thread. It is great to see everyone agreeing that drink driving is a big :nono:

It is absolutely disgusting the way pubs rip people off regarding soft drinks, but they have lost so much custom thanks to stopping folks having a fag I suppose they are looking at whatever they can to make a buck.
Also taxi fares are a joke. But, I would rather that than risk the tiniest drop of alcohol and then drive. I've seen the results :(

fatherpierre 30 December 2008 12:08 AM

Shouldn't the title be:

Pubs are a rip-off, and taxis are a con lol.

fatherpierre 30 December 2008 12:09 AM

I paid over £4 the other in a pub, btw. And it was only Heineken.

cookstar 30 December 2008 12:20 AM

I still pay £1.65 in my old local for a pint of lager. :eek:

Nat 30 December 2008 12:21 AM

Loads of pubs are doing credit crunch pints for £2 :)

cookstar 30 December 2008 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nat21 (Post 8381789)
Loads of pubs are doing credit crunch pints for £2 :)

They have been at that price for 4 maybe 5 years,

Adrian F 30 December 2008 12:53 AM

Soft drinks have always been a rip off and pubs try to justify it, the basic problem is that soft drinks have so much gas that most people can only drink 1 or 2 pints of them in an evening but once on the alcohol they will drink 5 or 6 pints in and evening so pubs dont want people drinking soft drinks do they!

fatherpierre 30 December 2008 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Adrian F (Post 8381821)
Soft drinks have always been a rip off and pubs try to justify it, the basic problem is that soft drinks have so much gas that most people can only drink 1 or 2 pints of them in an evening but once on the alcohol they will drink 5 or 6 pints in and evening so pubs dont want people drinking soft drinks do they!

Or that they are just a con to make money?

My reason is the answer - my brother runs a pub.

TelBoy 30 December 2008 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 8381731)
Anyone tried non-alcoholic beer? Jeeeeeeeez that stuff tastes awful..... dl

This is what i can't understand. With today's technology, WHY isn't it possible to make a drink taste exactly like a top brand lager but without the alcoholic content? Surely the breweries, facing the collapse of the pub industry around them, would have a vested interest in producing such a product?? Or is it just impossible to do, anybody know?

Luke 30 December 2008 08:22 AM

Anyone with a pub must be crying their hearts out at night. to have someone sit there for a hour keeping warm and using your facilities with one pint is not a great way to make a profit !! same with coffee shops. people sit there thinking its a library . when you think of what it must cost to run a pub per hour, most pubs must be losing money every day.

Abdabz 30 December 2008 08:48 AM

In my home town; St Helens, the greatest town on the planet, the town centre is hosting a festive offer where the proven designated driver gets free draught soft drinks :notworthy:
Taxis over Yule in this magnificent town are normal rates except bank hols and xmas / new years eve's.... :D