ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Fluctuating Boost Problem - Newage - Help?! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/734636-fluctuating-boost-problem-newage-help.html)

fmp 29 December 2008 05:31 PM

Fluctuating Boost Problem - Newage - Help?!

hey guys

just been on a long run (approx 210 miles each way)

All was well until on the trip back.

Basically if i am boosting on part throttle the boost doesnt stay constant, it fluctuates up and down, not a massive amount, but enough to notice.

It seems to do it whether on full throttle (but not as much) or on part throttle.

Any idea's what the problem may be?

I thought maybe a sticky actuator, but then this was a pure guess as i really dont know much about turbo's at all.

Idea's, help and comments welcome!!

fmp 29 December 2008 06:06 PM

oh, and the car is a 01 JDM Bugeye STI.

Cat back system, HKS induction, otherwise standard.

Car has been running fine until today.

sponners 29 December 2008 06:40 PM

try cleaning solenoid maybe???

T4YLOR 83 29 December 2008 07:41 PM

hi there fellow chi man :thumb:
any ways have you checked your oil lately?
the reason i ask is cos thats what happend just as my turbo seals went on a long run but unfortunately didnt notice till most of the oil was gone and unfortunately was too late so piston rings also went :cry:

will_wrx 29 December 2008 10:47 PM

This is basically the same as my problem, really awkward to drive normally?

Deffo not turbo seals for me, as I check my oil and water everyday to check level and condition, (yes sad, but I have OCD about it).

Mine is really horrible and jerky to drive normal? 1st,2nd seem pretty much fine, 3rd a little surgey, 4th and 5th are really bad.

I get a strange blow off noise, its either really faint or goes on for too long..

Maybe the same as your problem?

Can you describe any more symptoms? Or how it drives?

:)

dunx 29 December 2008 11:26 PM

boost control solenoid full of oil (from the inlet manifold), is a likely cause.

Someone who knows may be able to recommend a suitable cleaner to spray it with.

dunx

STI_Baly 29 December 2008 11:32 PM

Considering the weather was just right for loadsa boost spike (dense air) you sure it;s not just that? I got a lot of it in 4th and 5th today that's all.

If you want to clean the boost solenoid i tend to recommend/use carb cleaner which is available in aerosol form from your local merchants.

Comma Products <<<< Carb Clean Link

fmp 30 December 2008 07:54 AM

changed the oil about a week ago.

what could be the oil issue then?? Too much or too little??

Been doing some research, so going to try clean the solenoid later, i hope this cures it, as have a brands track day coming soon!!

dunx 30 December 2008 12:29 PM

Dipstick !

LOL

dunx

P.S. This is an instruction, not an insult !

STI_Baly 30 December 2008 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 8382583)
Dipstick !

LOL

dunx

P.S. This is an instruction, not an insult !

:lol1: That's one way of putting it.

fmp 30 December 2008 02:45 PM

oil is spot on.

just cleaned the boost solenoid.

Seems better, doesnt seem to fluctuate as much, but now it doesent seem to boost as high as before.

On wide open throttle it used to boost to just over 1bar, now it seems to sit just under. Tho having said that sometimes it boosts a bit over.

Does this mean i havent cleaned the item properly? Is it shagged, and are they cheap to replace?!?

joz8968 30 December 2008 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by fmp (Post 8383008)
oil is spot on.

just cleaned the boost solenoid.

Seems better, doesnt seem to fluctuate as much, but now it doesent seem to boost as high as before.

On wide open throttle it used to boost to just over 1bar, now it seems to sit just under. Tho having said that sometimes it boosts a bit over.

Does this mean i havent cleaned the item properly? Is it shagged, and are they cheap to replace?!?

Oil residues could have also got into the wastegate actuator housing (via the BCS feedline), causing inconsistent spring performance?

Also, could it not be a inconsistently sticking/unsticking BOV diaphragm?

Not too sure about those two prognoses :wonder: but worth a thought anyhow...

fmp 30 December 2008 05:11 PM

thanks for the input, i am open to all suggestions!

Will investigate further tomorrow methinks!