ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   STI rear struts (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/734605-sti-rear-struts.html)

greatwhite 29 December 2008 03:40 PM

STI rear struts

Got the dreaded knock again on my third set of shocks/struts.

Have read about regreasing of the top bush inside the strut.

Does anyone have a procedure on how to do this on the std strut

thanks

johnpye 29 December 2008 05:23 PM

hope this helps

'04 STi rear strut repacking (part 1) - ScoobyMods

Try looking at the link above and see if this help you mate, I have tried regreasing mine but did not help i think that they had got to bad before i did something about it. Hope it works for you!! how many miles you getting out of your struts before they start knocking again???

greatwhite 29 December 2008 06:37 PM

Thanks for the link..........interesting...... may well give it a go, it seems simple enough.

I got the car @ 27k and it was knocking replaced under warranty

@ 37k knocking again replaced under warranty

Now knocking again @ 41k

thinking about replacing the whole lot, but dont realy know what to go for Coilovers or springs & struts.

johnpye 30 December 2008 11:25 AM

Wow thats really bad why do you think it keeps doing it. Mine are knocking now at 17k and having new struts fitted on wed!

Can you do anything to stop it or do you have to just keep changing struts??

GazTheHat 30 December 2008 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by greatwhite (Post 8380703)
Thanks for the link..........interesting...... may well give it a go, it seems simple enough.

I got the car @ 27k and it was knocking replaced under warranty

@ 37k knocking again replaced under warranty

Now knocking again @ 41k

thinking about replacing the whole lot, but dont realy know what to go for Coilovers or springs & struts.

I had rears replaced about 16k, the fronts about 18k. They started knocking again at 37k, so i just went and got ASTs.

The ride height looks lower and the grip levels already, without pushing is good. I don't find the ride as harsh or clattery as the standard struts & PD springs either.

All round winner (except the cost :freak3: )

johnpye 30 December 2008 02:43 PM

how expensive were they??

the shocks on my sti are red and by the sounds of things they should not be this colour, but the bloo#dy things are knocking so guess they are no better any way!!!!

jd5217 30 December 2008 02:48 PM

PowerStation

had the ast coilovers fitted to my sti after the 2nd set of shocks failed.

greatwhite 30 December 2008 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by johnpye (Post 8383003)
how expensive were they??

the shocks on my sti are red and by the sounds of things they should not be this colour, but the bloo#dy things are knocking so guess they are no better any way!!!!

Red struts are standard on STI's, when they have been replaced they have always replaced the whole thing not just the insert.

ste sti 30 December 2008 08:58 PM

does subaru reconise this prob and fix them on a recall?

greatwhite 31 December 2008 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by ste sti (Post 8384220)
does subaru reconise this prob and fix them on a recall?

Subaru are obviouslyaware of the problem and they have also issued a field memo to correct the knocking by replacing the strut, the units are replaced without question as long as they are in the waranty period.

I dont understand why they never sorted the problem, it would still be an issue if you replaced like for like...12 months+ down the road you would have to fork out £200 a corner for new ones that will go on you again.

GazTheHat 31 December 2008 01:09 PM

The garage quoted £300 a corner to replace, now out of warranty. So the ASTs was a no brainer.

jd5217 31 December 2008 01:37 PM

and the difference is like night and day.

GazTheHat 31 December 2008 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jd5217 (Post 8385861)
and the difference is like night and day.

What clicks do you use yours on for the road?

I think mine are on 4 front, 6 rear. It's whatever PS set them to on fitting. I'm looking forward to some spirited driving, to see what the grip and balance is like on the car now, especially as the front arb has been fitted.

jd5217 31 December 2008 01:49 PM

i was using 8 front 6 rear for road, but been experimenting as found this a touch hard for road use.

what springs rates you running?

greatwhite 31 December 2008 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by GazTheHat (Post 8385784)
The garage quoted £300 a corner to replace, now out of warranty. So the ASTs was a no brainer.

sorry £200 + VAT + Fitting + VAT so it would be close to £300