ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Should I go from RA drivetrain to WRX drivetrain ....???? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/734222-should-i-go-from-ra-drivetrain-to-wrx-drivetrain.html)

minty 27 December 2008 06:22 PM

Should I go from RA drivetrain to WRX drivetrain ....????

I love the acceleration of my RA cdb with fe td05, 550's, front mount etc but will I really miss my ra gearbox if I fit the wrx one?? Does the loss of acceleration greatly outweigh the gearing of a wrx????

Cheers
Chris

minty 27 December 2008 06:25 PM

PS> it's aweekend toy with all the bits to swap, diff drive shafts etc.

Pete 27 December 2008 06:27 PM

Think you,re answering your own questions fella..

minty 27 December 2008 07:57 PM

But how much slower will the acceleration be?? Is it noticable ??

pnbond007 27 December 2008 08:00 PM

leave it as a beast or change the car....mine is the same & it get's me down on long runs on big roads...but hell that's not what an RA is ment for after all.

get out around the twisties on some good A&B roads out in the countryside you'll forget about your gearing then.....safely I might add

172sport 27 December 2008 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by minty (Post 8376515)
I love the acceleration of my RA cdb with fe td05, 550's, front mount etc but will I really miss my ra gearbox if I fit the wrx one?? Does the loss of acceleration greatly outweigh the gearing of a wrx????

Cheers
Chris

I found the RA one slower TBH, it feels faster thats all because your changing gear so much.

overall i believe wrx gearing is the best compromise.

stevebt 27 December 2008 08:35 PM

I think it will be either six of one or half a dozen of the other ??? I swapped my WRX box for an RA box and I loved the acceleration but on the 1/4 strip I am pretty sure the WRX box wins for longer gears. Personally if its a pretty standard car I would stick with RA gearing as its more fun ;)

mit 27 December 2008 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 172sport (Post 8376768)
I found the RA one slower TBH, it feels faster thats all because your changing gear so much.

overall i believe wrx gearing is the best compromise.

Yet the RA has a 0-60 a second less than the WRX, with the same power.:wonder:
I had a 2.5 coverted classic UK 95, and now the RA, i'd take the RA's gearing any day! I love the way it's always ready to go, it picks up amazingly.
Don't change it!:thumb:

NAY93WRX 27 December 2008 08:43 PM

I had a 93 wrx and now ive got a v3 sti ra.

Ra for me anytime:notworthy

It may be a pain not being able to do 120mph+ (private road......) but I did'nt buy the RA to do big speeds. I bought the RA for acceleration and to put a big smile on my face. I would'nt go back to wrx gearing now:)

172sport 27 December 2008 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by mit (Post 8376791)
Yet the RA has a 0-60 a second less than the WRX, with the same power.:wonder:
I had a 2.5 coverted classic UK 95, and now the RA, i'd take the RA's gearing any day! I love the way it's always ready to go, it picks up amazingly.
Don't change it!:thumb:

I know the figures, but with every gear change i lost 4 car lengths against my mates P1, with the wrx box i dont, go figure????

mit 27 December 2008 09:10 PM

I must admit, i've got a quick shift, which shortens the throw quite a lot, making gear changes quicker, and with 330bhp, it's wicked!

jayallen 27 December 2008 09:54 PM

The main ingredient that makes the RA and RA is the group N gearbox, take that away and the characteristics of the car have gone.

I take my RA to Wales and back once a month which is a 300 mile round trip, thats 200 miles on the M4 and 100 miles on A and B roads. The car is never taken over 70mph because of the obvious, i find it fine at 70mph even if a little noisy.

You would be better off selling up and buying an STI or a WRX imo.

jayallen 27 December 2008 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 172sport (Post 8376845)
I know the figures, but with every gear change i lost 4 car lengths against my mates P1, with the wrx box i dont, go figure????

I have no idea how you lost that much ground. At santapod this year myself and a mate who owns a 93wrx went against each other, he was running more power than me at the time. We were neck and neck until i changed into 5th, he crossed the line at 13.1 and me 13.3.

mit 27 December 2008 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by jayallen (Post 8376968)
I have no idea how you lost that much ground. At santapod this year myself and a mate who owns a 93wrx went against each other, he was running more power than me at the time. We were neck and neck until i changed into 5th, he crossed the line at 13.1 and me 13.3.

What power were you/he running?

jayallen 27 December 2008 10:14 PM

285 to his 318

dougwrx 27 December 2008 10:16 PM

I think all this short ratio gearbox is a load of bollox, its a false positive if you know what I mean. Your accelerating harder because of the shorter gears but you change gear more so inturn losing time by not being on the power. I have a wrx and found that at 300bhp on the road my freind in his rb5 with 285bhp would leave me as he had the longer uk gearing. I changed mine to a uk box soon after and it tranformed the car, IE:- being able to use the power longer in every gear not just getting going and then having to change up.

Put a uk box in you wont regret it.

Cheers Dougie

GC8 27 December 2008 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by minty (Post 8376695)
But how much slower will the acceleration be?? Is it noticable ??

It depends which model. They had less manic final drives as the models progressed.

172sport 27 December 2008 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by dougwrx (Post 8376997)
I think all this short ratio gearbox is a load of bollox, its a false positive if you know what I mean. Your accelerating harder because of the shorter gears but you change gear more so inturn losing time by not being on the power. I have a wrx and found that at 300bhp on the road my freind in his rb5 with 285bhp would leave me as he had the longer uk gearing. I changed mine to a uk box soon after and it tranformed the car, IE:- being able to use the power longer in every gear not just getting going and then having to change up.

Put a uk box in you wont regret it.

Cheers Dougie

Excactly my point, I was in 4th while he was changing 2nd to 3rd. :thumb:

finalzero 28 December 2008 12:59 AM

mine is a version 6, has manic 1st to 4th but 5th is slightly taller so I can comfortable cruise at the legal limits but it will get the car to 150 mph... on the redline :D

As for gearing... for me it makes a difference but it all depends on how and where you drive your car. I take my RA out mainly for the point to point ability and I have nailed my mates JDM STi classic over a stretch of pretty touch country roads.

However it's the opposite on long carriage ways, I can out accelerate him but he has the advantage of more headroom with his gearbox so pulls away at the top end sooner (same for any car vs the RA's I guess).

Also the VF28 on my RA seems to work very well in the short ratio's I have and I have no turbo lag or none that I have noticed - that may be because of the ratios being so close and as such the turbo being on song much quicker... just my experience of it all.

minty 20 January 2009 09:53 PM

i have a WRX box too, could i take the 5th gear out of the UK box and fit that to the RA box to give me great 1st to 4th and then a longer 5th ???

Is that possible??

Will it be a huge increase from 4th to 5th ????

172sport 20 January 2009 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by minty (Post 8441487)
i have a WRX box too, could i take the 5th gear out of the UK box and fit that to the RA box to give me great 1st to 4th and then a longer 5th ???

Is that possible??

Will it be a huge increase from 4th to 5th ????

Thats what i did.

1-4 ra box and 5th wrx

sold it on because it didnt feel right with such a big drop.

I'm guessing it will be the same if your planning wrx 1-4 and uk 5th