ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   No steering when hot HELP! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/734146-no-steering-when-hot-help.html)

Jam Performance 27 December 2008 10:18 AM

No steering when hot HELP!

Just finished replacing my turbo inlet hose with a samco one, however after I drove the car the PAS started playing up, as soon as the car reaches normal operating tempreture the pump starts to whine and steering becomes very hard to turn as if there is no oil in the system, oil can also been seen bubbling out of the resevoir cap, If I turn the car off and let it cool for 10min its 100% fine but after driving it for while it starts to play up again, any ideas?

Plenty of fluid in the resevoir and I did not disconnect it when i changed the inlet hose, I just unbolted it and pushed it aside

STI_Baly 27 December 2008 10:31 AM

Have you checked all the PAS hoses? Because it sounds like you may have a kinked/broken/loose hose somewhere. Not necessarily because of your samco change but could also have been due to wear and tear.

The bubbles are caused by air being introduced into the steering line somewhere the fluid bubbles because air goes to the highest point in the system.

Check to see if you have any leaking fluid anywhere.

Just the basics above, i hope they help
Good Luck

Jam Performance 27 December 2008 10:35 AM

Hoses and metal pipes seem fine, not a drop of oil from any of them it seems as if the fluid inside the pump is boiling up

STI_Baly 27 December 2008 10:40 AM

Any noises from the Pump?

When you say bubbles you sure this is not just due to the fluid being circulated?

Jam Performance 27 December 2008 10:44 AM

when the car is cold the steering and pump is spot on, no sounds or leaks as soon as its hot thats when the trouble starts, pump starts making whining and grinding and fluid bubbles and boils out the cap??

STI_Baly 27 December 2008 10:50 AM

When the fluid is cold the pump can produce enough pressure for normal operation in spite of the wear but once the system gets hot the thinner fluid won't allow full pressure to be developed.

Therefore my IMHO i would bleed the fluid completely and change with some decent stuff. (Don't forget PS fluid is the same as Brake fluid).

The rack and pinion on the rack also need lubrication hence why when the fluid boils over (due to water ingress over the years) the rack begins to sieze hence the failure of the Power steering.

I hope the above helps and sorts it. :thumb:

Jam Performance 27 December 2008 10:54 AM

Thanks I will try replacing the fluid :thumb:

Maz 27 December 2008 10:59 AM

The pump could be on the way out.

joz8968 27 December 2008 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by STI_Baly (Post 8375796)
...(Don't forget PS fluid is the same as Brake fluid)...

You sure about that Baly? :wonder: I thought PAS fluid was the same as Automatic Transmission fluid i.e. the sweet smelling, 'cherryade'-like, pinky-red stuff?

Jam Performance 27 December 2008 02:28 PM

I think he ment as in a fluid that should be replaced at intervals, I've been using Dexron III ATF Fluid

Mus 27 December 2008 02:51 PM

sounds like a similar problem that i had it sounds like your power steering pump had it you can buy a reconditioned one for about 70 quid or it might just be a power steering gasket, but get it sorted that started 2 FIRES IN MY ENGINE BAY NOT FUNNY AT ALL

joz8968 27 December 2008 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by K18LLR (Post 8376091)
I think he ment as in a fluid that should be replaced at intervals, I've been using Dexron III ATF Fluid

:lol1:

Oh right, yeah, of course :cuckoo: :rolleyes:. Ill get me coat...

STI_Baly 27 December 2008 06:37 PM

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for elaborating on my previous comment Killer.

Slowboy Racing 27 December 2008 07:41 PM

I doubt your fluid would have degenerated that quick, as you have not touched it other than to top it up recently.
Check the tension on the belt is not to tight, also make sure the angle of the tensioner is correct and not forcing the pump wheel at an angle causing contact. Also check the bracket is located correct.