ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   War planes? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/734081-war-planes.html)

Ray_li 26 December 2008 07:35 PM

War planes?

Was watching an old episode of Speed on dave where Clarkson bought an old Lightening War Plane and placed it on his front lawn for display.

Is there such a place and if so where can one buy old disused war planes or disused parts for the price of a Mondeo as claimed by Clarkson?

Jamo 26 December 2008 07:42 PM

yup, theres a place near us. ile see if I can find the details for you.

j :)

Jamo 26 December 2008 07:49 PM

this is the place I was thinking of. its near burton on trent, a place called alrewas.

Vehicle Dealers, Used Trucks, Used Vehicles, Disposal Agents in Staffordshire, Midlands

Ray_li 26 December 2008 08:22 PM

thats the kind of thing but they only have one plane

Wellesbourne flying club has a Vulcan on display :cool:

Jamo 26 December 2008 08:27 PM

believe me they do get them in :)

Red Rocket 11166 26 December 2008 08:50 PM

The Story.

His known passion for single- or two-passenger high-velocity transport led to his brief acquisition of an English Electric Lightning F.1A jet fighter, which was installed in the front garden of his country home. The Lightning was subsequently removed on the orders of the local council, which "wouldn't believe my claim that it was a leaf blower", according to Clarkson on a Tiscali Motoring webchat. In fact, the whole affair was a setup for the programme Speed, and English Electric Lightning XM172 is now back with the Farnborough preservation group.

Red.

Ray_li 26 December 2008 08:58 PM

I would love to have one on my front lawn but I don't have the ££ or the lawn space :D

I think there's a place in California where anyone can shop for used aircraft parts :D Seen it on Mythbusters :D :D

Nat 26 December 2008 09:14 PM

EVERETT AERO SALES & SUPPORT.

You need to speak to these guys.

Harriers and jags in stock and they can get first dibs on anything the RAF is letting go.

Kieran_Burns 26 December 2008 10:01 PM

Is right off the A38 - if you find yourself doing 90+ southbound and the car starts flying, you've gone too far and hit the best bit of the road ;)

You can't miss the place - there's bleeding tanks and ALL sorts right by the side of the road... it's like a wet dream for big gun enthusiasts... err..... so I'm told.....

You come off the A38 at Alrewas and take the signs for the A38 south (Lichfield) and it's off the slip road.

Cycled out that way a few times... it's flat :)

CrisPDuk 27 December 2008 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ray_li (Post 8375158)
I would love to have one on my front lawn but I don't have the ££ or the lawn space :D

I think there's a place in California where anyone can shop for used aircraft parts :D Seen it on Mythbusters :D :D

This is the place Ray;

309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and as the Iranians, who're on a constant quest for F14 spares, will tell you, they won't sell to just anyone :nono:

ScoobyDriverWannabe 27 December 2008 01:40 AM

hmmm
http://www.everettaero.com/eseat01.jpg

Would make an interesting chair for use at my desk

Not sure if it was Clarksons mean machines or another program, but i caught part of something which was quite old on Dave with him in where he visited that place in california.

There was 100s of B52s just sitting there.

J4CKO 27 December 2008 08:58 AM

I have always thought an old 747 would make a nice house.

Nat 27 December 2008 01:58 PM

^^^ That is vvv cool.

Ray_li 27 December 2008 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 8375250)
Is right off the A38 - if you find yourself doing 90+ southbound and the car starts flying, you've gone too far and hit the best bit of the road ;)

You can't miss the place - there's bleeding tanks and ALL sorts right by the side of the road... it's like a wet dream for big gun enthusiasts... err..... so I'm told.....

You come off the A38 at Alrewas and take the signs for the A38 south (Lichfield) and it's off the slip road.

Cycled out that way a few times... it's flat :)

I'm from birmingham so its not far for me.

Think I've got Monday free :D

Ray_li 27 December 2008 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk (Post 8375444)
This is the place Ray;

309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and as the Iranians, who're on a constant quest for F14 spares, will tell you, they won't sell to just anyone :nono:

Got the private plane booked to take me there next weekend :thumb: ;)

CrisPDuk 27 December 2008 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ray_li (Post 8376084)
Got the private plane booked to take me there next weekend :thumb: ;)

:cool:

Can you get me an F4 while you're there? I'll send you the money Western Union :D

Janspeed 28 December 2008 07:58 PM

I want a Starfighter!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Photos: Canadair CF-104 Starfighter (CL-90) Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

Ray_li 29 December 2008 01:03 AM

gonna wait to the new year then check that place out near Burton :thumb:

Leslie 30 December 2008 11:42 AM

A word of warning-old aircraft standing outside tend to corrode badly as time goes by and it is a very difficult job to stop it happening.

Les

Dave T-S 30 December 2008 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8382424)
A word of warning-old aircraft standing outside tend to corrode badly as time goes by and it is a very difficult job to stop it happening.

Les

As witnessed by Lightning XN728 by the A1 at Newark :(

zs_phil 30 December 2008 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=ScoobyDriverWannabe;8375541]hmmm
http://www.everettaero.com/eseat01.jpg

Would make an interesting chair for use at my desk

QUOTE]

can you actually buy one of these it would make an interesting xbox chair in my living room :norty: :wonder:
i want one my lass says no :lol1:

Janspeed 30 December 2008 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8382424)

Les

Not to mention that there probably are still traces of noxious materials hanging about in the airframe....... :freak3: