ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Zavvi gone (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/733777-zavvi-gone.html)

HankScorpio 24 December 2008 10:33 AM

Zavvi gone

(into administration that is) No surprise there.

Last minute bargains anyone?

Jamz3k 24 December 2008 10:35 AM

may have to take a pop in today and get a few box sets:D

Floodboy 24 December 2008 10:49 AM

the zavvi shops near me closed down ages ago, so no surprise really

StickyMicky 24 December 2008 10:52 AM

the reason why i never bought any gift vouchers for people at xmas ;)

DCI Gene Hunt 24 December 2008 10:56 AM

Wheat and Chaf.....

All these "failing stores" were always operating on the edge, TBH I've yet to be surprised at the fact they've failed. Zavvi is a classic example of a wise bailout by Virgin. Music is an online growth business with fewer and fewer shop bought items every year, last time I popped into the city I couldn't buy a CD single for love nor money!

Steve_PPP 24 December 2008 10:58 AM

cor blimey, i bought people chrimbo pressies from Zavvi, hope they don't want to take them back :lol1:

mannyo 24 December 2008 11:05 AM

Zavvi have gone into administration, they are still trading normally currently. The reason for administration is because their supplier (woolies of all companies) went bust and they have been unable to find another supplier due to the credit crunch.

I suspect, that just like whittards and "officers club" yesterday a buyer will be found.

farmer1 24 December 2008 11:06 AM

Its quite amazing that some of these shops are going bust on the run up to christmas, what about after when people are spending nowhere near as much

StickyMicky 24 December 2008 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by farmer1 (Post 8371642)
Its quite amazing that some of these shops are going bust on the run up to christmas, what about after when people are spending nowhere near as much

that is when the real **** hits the fan.

at the moment we are just getting winnits hitting the fan, after christmas, the full blown smelly logs will be flying

tanyatriangles 24 December 2008 11:16 AM

WTF is Zavvi?

apples24 24 December 2008 11:19 AM

i was in the one in southampton 2 days ago and the que was roughly 20 mins !!!! was bloody heaving, although when i asked for a certain cd he either said closing down sale or sale for some reason why it was out of limited stock, i ended up buying from asda hmv and zavvi just to get the cd's i required

Steve_PPP 24 December 2008 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles (Post 8371668)
WTF is Zavvi?

what used to be Virgin Megastore :)

PeteBrant 24 December 2008 11:47 AM

No real surprise really - If you are going to charge virtually full RRP when the Tescos down the road will be charging half as much, not to mention online outlets for typical Zavvi mecahndise being probably the most popular kind of online purchase, you are asking for trouble.

Branson sold Virgin megastores at exactly the right time.

Tam the bam 24 December 2008 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 8371736)
Branson sold Virgin megastores at exactly the right time.

Bet he's glad, otherwise he'd have been in a pickle now! :D

ALi-B 24 December 2008 12:11 PM

No suprise; Branson wouldn't have sold out if it was profitable.

RoadrunnerV2 24 December 2008 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tam the bam (Post 8371743)
Bet he's glad, otherwise he'd have been in a pickle now! :D

Not really because Virgin guaranteed Zavvi's Entertainment UK debts as part of the management buyout deal.

Source TheRegister