ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   standard headbolts question.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/732265-standard-headbolts-question.html)

adz576 16 December 2008 08:44 PM

standard headbolts question....

are the standard headbolts in my 98 classic turbo stretch bolts or not? its just im going to be doing my headgasket but want to know if i need new bolts or not? cheers :thumb:

johnnybon 16 December 2008 09:02 PM

oh yes

while you have the heads off for the price of the apr head bolts just change them if some one asked you take there engine out and take the heads off and then replace it for 150 would you Mmm i think not:) does that answer your question???

adz576 16 December 2008 09:05 PM

not really no didnt make alot of sense to me or am a being blonde? lol

johnnybon 16 December 2008 09:08 PM

blond blond blond blond

BLOND!:)

adz576 16 December 2008 09:10 PM

lol, explain then............ pretty plz

johnnybon 16 December 2008 09:16 PM

well it like this

well it like this if you dont change them and the old ones fail out come the engine again and that will cost much more than 150 which is the price of arp head studs now do get it???:)

johnnybon 16 December 2008 09:18 PM

do the job once

Do the job right first time and you only do it once:)

adz576 16 December 2008 09:36 PM

oh yes thats a bit simpler got it that time lol!! so they are stretch bolts then? in that case i will change them! is that all they are £150 for the arp ones, looks like il get those then as i was quoted 140 for standard genuine ones today and 85 for standard non genuine! where can i get the arp bolts from mate?

rbaz 16 December 2008 09:48 PM

He is asking a perfectly good question some say they don’t need changing on a standard motor as far as I know :wonder: no need to be arsey about it :mad:

If you know different and want to answer fair enough if you want to be cocky about it don’t bother at all :rolleyes:

Pavlo 16 December 2008 09:50 PM

No need to replace on a normal power motor.

They are not "stretch bolts" although the tightening sequence includes a torque and an angle, the bolts are not torqued enough to bring them to yield (yield being a point in steels where permanent deformation or stretch begins).

johnnybon 16 December 2008 09:51 PM

as allways ebay

As allways ebay but look around mags like banzi jap and total impreza as i have seen them from130 to 175 and mor depends on the type of supplyer happy hunting:)

johnnybon 16 December 2008 09:54 PM

but for the price

Originally Posted by Pavlo (Post 8353395)
No need to replace on a normal power motor.

They are not "stretch bolts" although the tightening sequence includes a torque and an angle, the bolts are not torqued enough to bring them to yield (yield being a point in steels where permanent deformation or stretch begins).

but for the price and the work involved is it not worth just changing them?

dazdavies 16 December 2008 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by johnnybon (Post 8353405)

That, my friend, is almost like questioning God himself.

Pavlo knows more about Impreza's than you or I ever will :)

Adz, as Pavlo says, you'll be fine with the standard bolts. If you're not going for big power.

tanyatriangles 16 December 2008 10:17 PM

I contacted a VERY reputable tuning company when mine had it's head gaskets done recently, asking about uprated headgaskets and bolts. They sell both.

Their advice to me with 300bhp from a classic was to stick with standard for both.

adz576 17 December 2008 12:08 AM

cheers rbaz, pavlo, dazdavies and tanyatriangles!!! thats the info i was after. good news aswell means i can save a few £££ by re-using the originals!! thankyou

johnnybon 17 December 2008 12:35 PM

replyto your stropy answer

Originally Posted by dazdavies (Post 8353418)
That, my friend, is almost like questioning God himself.

Pavlo knows more about Impreza's than you or I ever will :)

Adz, as Pavlo says, you'll be fine with the standard bolts. If you're not going for big power.

Who only runs 300 in a scooby:confused: :thumb:

Pavlo 17 December 2008 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by johnnybon (Post 8353405)

Perhaps, I have often done just that, but £150 is £150, and you can't pay your mortgage with ARP studs.

have a proper crimbo!

dazdavies 17 December 2008 10:05 PM

I suggest you do your homework!!

Originally Posted by johnnybon (Post 8354461)
Who only runs 300 in a scooby:confused: :thumb:

LOL how wrong you are sunshine!!

Schoolboy/noob error is that :)

Think of an M Reg that's turquoise with orange and white graphics and look at the time attack photo's results from last year.

Also have a look at his latest car "The green goblin" ;)