ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Blue smoke, is my Turbo knackered. (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/73216-blue-smoke-is-my-turbo-knackered.html)

Scruff 18 February 2002 04:13 PM

I got my car back from service last week and I have noticed blue smoke when in heavy traffic or if the car idles for a while. This happened before and went away after about a week. Could it be that it was over filled with oil or am I in for a hefty bill for a new Turbo. The car sitll drives perfectly and boost is never in short supply. I would find it difficult to believe that the company who serviced it over filled it but I suppose these things can happen(hopefully). By the way the car is a MY98 non import wagon with no cats, induction kit, run with NF octane booster and 1.2bar boost.

The car is pre facelift MY98 and I am told has a phase 1 engine?

Cheers

Alan

rayman 18 February 2002 04:27 PM

is there any leaks near the oil sump area? check this. Normally blue smoke is a sign of worn piston rings. Do you notice blue smoke when the car under boost or just when the turbo kicks in?

R

Scruff 18 February 2002 04:35 PM

No smoke at all when driving and no oil around the sump either. Only smokes when stopped for a while with the engine running.

Alan

submannz 18 February 2002 09:22 PM

Valve guides then, or piston rings.

Dan

Sieze 18 February 2002 10:36 PM

When my turbo went it blew loads of oil out when cold from start-up. It also burnt most of a tank of oil in 70 miles. Hope this helps....

iain atkins 19 February 2002 09:09 AM

Have had this a couple of times after a hard run (7 or 8 miles down twisty roads, hard on and off the power up to 6,000rpm), and leave it idling for say 5 mins or so.

After idling for 5 mins i thought i could smell burning oil from the exhaust - THIS WAS BEFORE I HAD A PISTON REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY FOR PISTON SLAP.

I haven't given the car a hard run since the warranty work as i have only done 600 miles.

I have been told that oil may have been creeping past the piston rings (on the defective piston) causing the smoke. Either that or worn turbo seals/bearings.

Just a thought for you

Cheers

Iain

Dave R 19 February 2002 12:17 PM

Might be the driver's side rocker cover gasket. Common prob. Let the motor cool and run your hand under that cover. If you get oil, then the smell/smoke is it dripping onto the exhaust manifold.

Just a thought.

Daver

carl 19 February 2002 12:19 PM

Could be they've spilt something on one of the hot bits (exhaust, turbo) whilst doing the service. Some fluids (e.g. brake fluid) take ages to boil off.

PaddyO 21 February 2002 06:13 AM

Have you checked your compression? If good, it might be cracked piston skirts around the oil rings, or seals for the turbo, or valve guides, or over-filled oil reservoir. If over-filled, it will usually smoke more while turning hard. Good luck!

Scruff 21 February 2002 09:55 AM

It seems to have gone away for now, but I will be keeping an eye on it over the next week or so. Hopefully it was an over enthuastic oil fill.

Cheers

Alan