ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   F1 refueling ban? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/731330-f1-refueling-ban.html)

cster 12 December 2008 06:24 PM

F1 refueling ban?

"Race weekend

Standardised radio and telemetry systems.

Ban on tyre warmers.

Ban on mechanical purging of tyres.

Ban on refueling.

Possible reduction in race distance or duration (proposal to follow market research)."

Just cut and pasted this from Autosport.
As I read it there will be no refueling in F1.
Bit of a surprise to me:wonder:

FlightMan 12 December 2008 06:35 PM

I think the refuelling ban is from 2010.

WTF is " ban on mechanical purging of tyres. " ?

c_maguire 12 December 2008 06:39 PM

I might start watching again.
The only negative proposal (in my view) is the ban on testing other than pre-race on race weekend. Testing can benefit everyone equally (rather than favouring the rich teams) if it is restricted to a limited number of events throughout the year (like MotoGP), or each team is entitled to an equal number of test days per year to be taken as and when they please.
Stopping the re-fuelling is so bloody obvious it has mystified me for years how anybody felt it was a good thing in the first place.
Placing restrictions on the use of wind tunnels, and not replacing engines/gearboxes every 5 minutes can only be a good thing.
Kevin

Nido 12 December 2008 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by FlightMan (Post 8343017)

It's when you remove (or "purge") all the oxygen from the tyre, usually to be replaced with Nitrogen.

The advantage with Nitrogen instead of Oxygen is that the properties of it are a lot more predictable as the temperature inside the carcass increases under load. :)

jjones 12 December 2008 06:52 PM

there goes the "overtaking" then!

HankScorpio 12 December 2008 07:42 PM

Make it like BTCC, three shorter races, no pit stops, no refueling, no changing tyres, one grid decided by qualifying, one reverse grid from race one and one from the results of race two.

scarey 12 December 2008 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by FlightMan (Post 8343017)
I think the refuelling ban is from 2010.

a pain as we manufacture these :(

basically you suck all the air out the tyre, creating a vaccuum. You can then put in what ever gas you want. Usually the air going in alos goes through a desiccant so that all the humidity is taken out as well. Makes the way the air/gas in the tyre behaves easier to predict as the tyre temps go up

Leslie 13 December 2008 11:06 AM

I thiunk it would be a shame to ban refuelling. It will remove a lot of the strategy which helps to make the whole race more interesting.

Les

POC 13 December 2008 11:22 AM

another great step forward in the 'pinnicale of motorsport'.

F1 is a joke.

POC2p

cster 13 December 2008 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8344349)
I think it would be a shame to ban refuelling. It will remove a lot of the strategy which helps to make the whole race more interesting.

Les

Maybe, but hopefully there will be a choice as to whether you should conserve your car and reap the benefits later. We are talking tyres/brakes here I guess.
Don't forget that the cars will be carrying large quantities of fuel at the start which will magnify wear and tear early in the race.
The other main beneficiary will be that you will have to race cars if you want to pass them.
Wait and see I guess.

what would scooby do 13 December 2008 12:07 PM

I'm just waiting for them to announce that cosworth will be the control engine..

Imagine Ferrari having to put a northampton tractor engine in their cars :lol1:

hodgy0_2 13 December 2008 05:38 PM

the ban refuelling isn’t new

I think it was around in the late 80's

quite entertaining at the end of the race, i seem to remember some race leaders running out of petrol on ther last lap -- doing "oh fvck" car wiggle to get some fuel into the pump

HankScorpio 13 December 2008 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 8345215)
the ban refuelling isn’t new

I think it was around in the late 80's

quite entertaining at the end of the race, i seem to remember some race leaders running out of petrol on ther last lap -- doing "oh fvck" car wiggle to get some fuel into the pump

Did mansell not have that when he was going to win the championship in adelaide?

rossyboy 13 December 2008 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8344349)
I thiunk it would be a shame to ban refuelling. It will remove a lot of the strategy which helps to make the whole race more interesting.

Les

I think the complete opposite. I stopped watching because I want to see a race being won by the fastest driver, who can get past the others.

Its just incredibly dull when its decided by who can put fuel in quicker.

scoobmeister 13 December 2008 06:08 PM

The ban on refuelling has probably been brought in as it seems to be one of FIA-Ferrari's weak points, as it did play a part in them not winning the FIA-Ferrari drivers championship this year.

hodgy0_2 13 December 2008 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by HankScorpio (Post 8345226)
Did mansell not have that when he was going to win the championship in adelaide?

Hank -- i think Mansell's wiggle was when his tyre blew, in Japan -- thats the one i remember anyway (but I could be wrong - often am)

but no refueling isnt a disaster, just puts a different spin on things

I stopped watching F1 when it went to ITV (as with Cricket) its just sooo much nicer to watch it in real time without adverts

essentially imo its pretty dull TV especially post James Hunt comentating and the only antidote was knowing you would watch it from start to finish -- but that went with ITV (not a comment on comercial vs licence fee btw just my view on F1 and Cricket)

Luminous 13 December 2008 09:54 PM

I am not sure how I feel about these changes.

I would have liked to see reduced aero packages allowed, especially ones that disrupt the air for the driver behind to make overtaking harder.

Also not sure on the refueling one, as it does add a lot of mystique to the weekend. You never know if someone is sandbagging or not. If you see qualifying, and know that all the fuel loads are the same, then unless the overtaking is improved you already know the result :(

The rest of the changes don't seem too bad. In fact they could be good (sorry to those who will lose out on work). Shorter races could also be more fun. Maybe two races on a weekend, dunno. Something different could be nice. Shorter races of course mean its a lot more dramatic as there is less time for long term tactics to work, which in turn makes it better to watch :D :D

Gear Head 13 December 2008 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by scoobmeister (Post 8345308)
The ban on refuelling has probably been brought in as it seems to be one of FIA-Ferrari's weak points, as it did play a part in them not winning the FIA-Ferrari drivers championship this year.

Oh yea, obviously! :rolleyes:

Leslie 15 December 2008 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 8344457)
Maybe, but hopefully there will be a choice as to whether you should conserve your car and reap the benefits later. We are talking tyres/brakes here I guess.
Don't forget that the cars will be carrying large quantities of fuel at the start which will magnify wear and tear early in the race.
The other main beneficiary will be that you will have to race cars if you want to pass them.
Wait and see I guess.

Yes what you say is right of course. It will bring a totally different style of action to F1. Whether it is good or bad will remain to be seen as you say.

Les

EddScott 15 December 2008 01:56 PM

Agree with everything apart from the refueling issue.

I guess they feel that with the reduced aero and increased mechanical grip theres no longer a need for refueling.

Personally increase mechanical grip yes but keep refueling.

I suppose its to try and seperate F1 from other single seater formulas that have long distance but refueling - indycar for instance. Since single make parts are going to fudge the distinction between F1 and lower/opposite formulas.