ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   any tv engineers here? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/730550-any-tv-engineers-here.html)

sarasquares 09 December 2008 11:27 AM

any tv engineers here?

i have a confusing problem with my tv :confused:

TopBanana 09 December 2008 11:29 AM

Can you give us a clue?

SJ_Skyline 09 December 2008 11:29 AM

Is it plugged in? ;)

Spoon 09 December 2008 11:30 AM

Is it a TV and not a toaster? :)

TopBanana 09 December 2008 11:32 AM

If the people are upside-down, you may wish to rotate the TV through 180 degrees in order to obtain a better picture.

StickyMicky 09 December 2008 11:32 AM

you have to look at the side without the wires going in :)

sarasquares 09 December 2008 11:34 AM

yes, yes and yes :D

the set is made by Relisys. when i go to bed i switch the tv off using the switch on the back so its not in standby. when i switch the tv on i get a green light (normal) then i press it and it goes yellow. for the last fewe months the tv is taking longer and longer to go on, sometimes its over 5 minutes and getting longer every day

the switch on the back of the tv needs a bit of a wiggle sometimes to get the yello light up, i know this is wrong but is this causing the problem?

diagnosis? :thumb:

StickyMicky 09 December 2008 11:37 AM

at a guess

wiggled switch = power spike/surge ****ing the TV up

WRX_Dazza 09 December 2008 11:37 AM

leave it on standy.

also use 4 slice option on toaster when making 2 slices, and regulate the temperature of the house by having the heating on ful blast and varying the opening of the windows....

other than that, it might be new telly time... :)

Tam the bam 09 December 2008 11:38 AM

Hmm I think the tube has a problem!

;) :D

Spoon 09 December 2008 11:38 AM

Electricity where you live is notoriously slower, Sara. It doesn't help being nearer Christmas either when more electricity is being consumed. Ask your utility company for an upgrade to faster electricity which they usually do free of charge. :thumb:

TopBanana 09 December 2008 11:41 AM

Spoon has pretty much nailed it I think. One thing you might try is warming the cable running to the TV, which would effectively 'unfreeze' the electric.

davegtt 09 December 2008 11:43 AM

I'd go with Spoons diagnosis aswell. Should only be an easy phone call to your supplier :thumb:

Spoon 09 December 2008 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by TopBanana (Post 8333950)
Spoon has pretty much nailed it I think. One thing you might try is warming the cable running to the TV, which would effectively 'unfreeze' the electric.

Yes indeed, I forgot to mention the frozen electricity element but thought everyone had 'cable socks' fitted in the winter. :)

SJ_Skyline 09 December 2008 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by TopBanana (Post 8333918)
If the people are upside-down, you may wish to rotate the TV through 180 degrees in order to obtain a better picture.

Surely moving to Australia would be a better solution to this problem?

sarasquares 09 December 2008 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 8333957)
Yes indeed, I forgot to mention the frozen electricity element but thought everyone had 'cable socks' fitted in the winter. :)

you would love me to give them a call wouldn't you, i am not that daft :D

SJ_Skyline 09 December 2008 11:47 AM

It's probably the TV stand interfering with the set, short stands are notorious for this. You need to visit somewhere like Dixons or Currys and ask for a long stand :)

sarasquares 09 December 2008 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 8333966)
It's probably the TV stand interfering with the set, short stands are notorious for this. You need to visit somewhere like Dixons or Currys and ask for a long stand :)

and some sky hooks to attach it? :D

StickyMicky 09 December 2008 11:51 AM

might need the plasma gas topped up ;)

Spoon 09 December 2008 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by sarasquares (Post 8333963)
you would love me to give them a call wouldn't you, i am not that daft :D

Sara, I would be happy to see you resolve your problem as soon as possible so you can enjoy your TV viewing once more. Call them and you'll be surprised and happy too.

When have I ever let you down, except when I said no to your sexual advances, which you got over within the month anyway? :confused:

sarasquares 09 December 2008 11:53 AM

B:):)BS

to your carp replies :D

Coffin Dodger 09 December 2008 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by sarasquares (Post 8333928)
the set is made by Relisys.

Nuff said ;)

sarasquares 09 December 2008 12:29 PM

thats a bladdy good telly :razz:

not like some where you can only see the picture if you stand in front of it. this one i can watch it from any angle :p

Coffin Dodger 09 December 2008 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by sarasquares (Post 8333928)
yes, yes and yes :D

the set is made by Relisys. when i go to bed i switch the tv off using the switch on the back so its not in standby. when i switch the tv on i get a green light (normal) then i press it and it goes yellow. for the last fewe months the tv is taking longer and longer to go on, sometimes its over 5 minutes and getting longer every day

the switch on the back of the tv needs a bit of a wiggle sometimes to get the yello light up, i know this is wrong but is this causing the problem?

diagnosis? :thumb:

Sounds very much like the switch is fcuked. It may be able to pass enough current to light the LED but may be struggling to supply the full power needed to fire up the screen. First and foremost either get someone to fit a new switch for you or failing that hardwire it so it's always on. Then see if the problem disappears.

I suspect the switch wasn't really designed for repeated operation, they probably used a cheapo one designed for a few 1000 operations, as most would leave it in standby and use the remote :(

Leslie 09 December 2008 02:22 PM

Nothing worse than having slow electricity!

Les :)