ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Essex Subaru Owners Club (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/)
-   -   Anyone in the police? (https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-subaru-owners-club-362/730443-anyone-in-the-police.html)

pezzza 08 December 2008 08:13 PM

Anyone in the police?

Need some advice......

slight bump with a van earlier, turns out the driver is from the travellers site in hovefields avenue.

1) IS he insured?

2) Should i offer cash rather than insurance?

We swapped details, my car didnt come off too bad, only a slight scrape on bumper (what they are there for!) but his van has now got a dent on his door, and also by the diesel flap.

Should i report it to my insurance company? exess is £450 but the damage is not that much.

Was my fault, was not looking when turning, but he is also at fault for driving like a maniac round a car park.

Any help please......

Boro 08 December 2008 08:14 PM

ASKMID

If you got the reg, check if its insured on that site.

pezzza 08 December 2008 08:15 PM

Cheers, will check it out now

Boro 08 December 2008 08:16 PM

Also, might be worth asking on 5ive-o. Forum runs by the boys in blue.

pezzza 08 December 2008 08:17 PM

Hmmmmm.........

turns out with that site that the make and model is TOYOTA YARIS 1.3I (03 ON) NOT what i hit earlier!!!!

pezzza 08 December 2008 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Boro (Post 8332691)
Also, might be worth asking on 5ive-o. Forum runs by the boys in blue.

Do i have to register on there?

Boro 08 December 2008 08:24 PM

Yes, you will need to register. Odd that the reg number is coming up with the wrong car. Are you 100% you got the right number? Did you get it from the car or did he give you it/write it down for you?

pezzza 08 December 2008 08:27 PM

He read it out to me whilst i was writing my details down!

On phone to local police about it now, will report back soon....

pezzza 08 December 2008 08:53 PM

Been told to report it ASAP to local police, also called the person i hit, now he has given me the correct reg number of the VAN that i hit!

He wants more details from me, i gave him my address and insurance policy number, what else does he need from me?

Boro 08 December 2008 09:03 PM

Thats it, name, address, insurance company and policy number.

Is the reg number he has now given you anything like the original one he got wrong?

pezzza 08 December 2008 09:20 PM

He gave me a E and it should have been V

Maybe it was his irish accent?

Anyhow, im off to the police station in morning, let them know all the details etc, see where we go from there.

Thanks for yor help.

Phil 09 December 2008 07:10 AM

ALL Accidents HAVE to be reported to your insurer

V4JDMSTi 09 December 2008 09:43 AM

i'd also get your car moved from your home seeing as where he's from mate. :brickwall

pezzza 09 December 2008 10:01 AM

I have nothing to worry about, im fully insured, so if he tries to steal it, i get paid out!

Was not going to bother with my insurance at the moment due to having £450 exess to pay out for.

WRX_Dazza 09 December 2008 10:09 AM

pezza. you say the excess is £450.00 how much money did he want to sort it out cash.

£450.00 doesnt buy you much at a bodyshop, especially if he needs a new door skin and the petrol cap area repaired, plus the labout and paint!!!

thats all before repairing the scoob....

worth considering, also if he did want cash, he'd prob have asked for it then and there and i would get a signed reciept from him to say he received the cash in full payment for the damages, in case he invents a new witness to the equation.

all these points are worth considering and remember, trust no one!!!
whether a romany type travelling tinker or a stand up pillar of the community, where money is involved, everyone is out to get you!! :)

hope to get a smooth resolve !!

pezzza 09 December 2008 10:36 AM

My scoob is not worth repairing, remember the bit i showed you on saturday night? its just got a little more of a scratch now!

He wanted cash straight away, thinking that he was not insured, i told him there was NO WAY that i was offering ANY amount of money, if he was not insured, then he should not have been on the road!

MY excess is £450, dont know what his is, but he will have to pay it if he wants his van repaired.

I can get the job done by my fitter for about £100 (if he had time) but if the irish bloke is insured, he has nothing to worry about.

We have had dealings with them on the estate in the last few months, diesel going missing etc, so im sure you can see where i am comming from with this one.

WRX_Dazza 09 December 2008 11:26 AM

a quick glance at his road tax might have indicated something.

id pay the bloke something and get him off your case, you dont really want any aggro on this one, especially as it was your fault.

pezzza 09 December 2008 11:29 AM

What would you offer him?

£75 sounds reasonable to me.......

WRX_Dazza 09 December 2008 11:55 AM

make it a round £100 in ten pound notes (looks more than 5 twentys, once you wave it under his hooter).

or give him a cat, although according to the movies, they prefer daaags!!! :)

Milamber 09 December 2008 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by pezzza (Post 8333749)
Was not going to bother with my insurance at the moment due to having £450 exess to pay out for.

You must still tell them though, even if you don't make a claim on the policy.

Originally Posted by pezzza (Post 8333749)
I have nothing to worry about, im fully insured, so if he tries to steal it, i get paid out!

Not if you haven't been up front and told them about the knock you won't...

It doesn't matter if you claim under the policy or not..... if you want the benefit of insurance you HAVE to tell them everything.

Ms Gooner 1 09 December 2008 03:40 PM

Offer him a caravan and a dag LOL - or you could offer to "figh' ya fer it" :lol1:

in the words of gorgeous george - I fooking 'ate pikeys :D

pezzza 09 December 2008 05:56 PM

I fooking 'ate pikeys too!

Looks like this one WAS insured though, just had his insurance company on the phone asking if my details are correct, what happened etc.

Oh well, at least he IS legal for a change!