ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Bio Ethanol (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/730397-bio-ethanol.html)

marc1941 08 December 2008 05:57 PM

Bio Ethanol

Anybody any experience on this its cheaper than optimax and has a higher octane rating
If you have a aftermarket ecu and can toggle between maps and get your car mapped to run on it .What are the disadvantages
I know you will have to get bigger injectors but it will allow you to run more power on your car.
Any thoughts

Found this

Depending on composition and source, E85 has an octane rating of 100 - 105[4] compared to regular gasoline's typical rating of 95 This allows it to be used in higher compression engines which tend to produce more power per unit of displacement than their gasoline counterparts. Since the reciprocating mass of the engine increases in proportion to the displacement of the engine E85 has a higher potential efficiency for an engine of equal power.

Ian 08 December 2008 06:00 PM

Dynamix on here is running this i think, there is a big thread in the tec section about it

Ami 08 December 2008 06:00 PM

marc - there's already a thread on bioethanol - I'll give you a link in a moment if you can't find it.

EDIT: hehe, I see DaOne was a bit quicker ;)

Here's the link:
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ioethanol.html

marc1941 08 December 2008 06:17 PM

cheers fellas :thumb:

dynamix 13 December 2008 11:15 AM

Go for it Marc - you wont look back. Well actually you will but it will be in your rear view mirror and noticing how quickly cars disappear :lol1:

Octane of 104 is slightly misleading as the octane when mixed with petrol is a lot higher as it is incredibly knock resistant. The Tec thread has lots of into on it and all of the top mappers on here will help you get the best from it on your set up. Paul at Zen has the most experience on it, but Simon JGM has also mapped quite a few cars that run this as an octane booster with great results.

I mapped mine and havent found any disadvantages yet. MPG seems about the same even on a 40% mix of bio to vpower/tesco 99.

Got to be the best VFM mod you can make - net cost of the extra power is less than free :D

GazTheHat 13 December 2008 12:31 PM

Is the comment about needing bigger injectors right?

I'm seriously contemplating an E85 remap, but my injectors are at 94% duty cycle already, so can't afford new injectors too right now.

bonzee 13 December 2008 12:35 PM

I've been using this since Simon JGM tweeked my 2nd map a few weeks ago and got to say won't be using map1:lol1: run 390bhp on map1 with v power, map2 with e85 well in to 400+:norty: awesome.defo worth it only thing got to travel about 15/20miles to stock up. Go for it you won't be disapointed:thumb:

dynamix 13 December 2008 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by GazTheHat (Post 8344503)
Is the comment about needing bigger injectors right?

I'm seriously contemplating an E85 remap, but my injectors are at 94% duty cycle already, so can't afford new injectors too right now.

Can you up the fuel pressure - do you have an adjustable FPR?

You need more fueling.

Tenby 13 December 2008 01:23 PM

Any avaiable in Milton Keynes?

dynamix 13 December 2008 01:46 PM

Where you can buy bioethanol in the UK

dunx 13 December 2008 06:55 PM

LOL only 36 miles to York.... and 36 miles back again !

That's four gallons !

Doh !

dunx

GazTheHat 13 December 2008 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 8344587)
Can you up the fuel pressure - do you have an adjustable FPR?

You need more fueling.

No i don't. Crap, that's stopped that then for now.

What injectors should i go up to then? I had a sneaky glance when i was reading the Area52 site about the drive in 2.5's :norty:

If i have to increase the CC, i'd like to do it once, so some that will do for a forged 2.5 (450 of each) will be ideal.

dynamix 13 December 2008 07:18 PM

I run Lateral performance modified pink injectors - flow at 850cc