ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Comparison Websites! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/730389-comparison-websites.html)

SunnySideUp 08 December 2008 05:44 PM

Comparison Websites!

Selling my details to all and sundry!! :mad:

I get a call every single night now offering me everything from Cavity Wall Insulation to a new Power Supplier!!

I am on the Telephone Preference list too! Just had a call tonight and found out that it's the comparison website which is distributing my details!!

Fuming! :mad:

GC8 08 December 2008 06:11 PM

Theyre parasites. Surey it was obvious that putting your correct details in was an error of judgement?

Abdabz 08 December 2008 06:12 PM

I always put in mock details and then if I find one at a price I like, I go direct and barter.

I think there should be a price comparison price comparison website that compares all the price comparison websites called www.f#ckedifiknow.com

:D

Dedrater 08 December 2008 06:14 PM

I always put my next door neighbours details in, he butchered my conifer in the summer, this is the least I can do for him.

NotoriousREV 08 December 2008 06:17 PM

In what way are they parasites? If you don't have the nouse to tick/untick the "please do/don't spam me to death" box, then you deserve all you get.

If you don't like comparison sites, feel free to research whichever product you're looking at in your own time.

Notorious "getting his pay from a parasite" REV

Abdabz 08 December 2008 06:17 PM

Oh yes, the mock details I put in are for a neighbouring house with names like Marion Megamuff, Percy Penistickler etc...

SunnySideUp 08 December 2008 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 8332202)
Theyre parasites. Surey it was obvious that putting your correct details in was an error of judgement?

Yes, an error of judgement I guess - but I distinctly ticked the 'No Contact' box, as I always do.

I do think they ignore any request to keep your details private! :mad:

NotoriousREV 08 December 2008 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8332219)
Yes, an error of judgement I guess - but I distinctly ticked the 'No Contact' box, as I always do.

I do think they ignore any request to keep your details private! :mad:

Not the one I work for. Complain directly to the site. They should get you removed from any list they sold your details to.

SunnySideUp 08 December 2008 06:23 PM

I thought that any list should be compared (sorry for the pun) to the Telephone Preferrence list?

GC8 08 December 2008 06:29 PM

It should.

rossyboy 08 December 2008 06:29 PM

I always put the correct address, but a made up number.

There must be loads of people in my area that have been getting calls instead of me :lol1:

NotoriousREV 08 December 2008 06:30 PM

Nope, if you submit your phone number and the usage is spelt out to you, the TPS are helpless i.e. you opted to allow your details to be used by either ticking or not unticking the box.

Of course, less scrupulous sites use dodgy wording to catch people out "untick this box if you don't agree to us not selling your details to all and sundry"

GC8 08 December 2008 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV (Post 8332216)
In what way are they parasites? If you don't have the nouse to tick/untick the "please do/don't spam me to death" box, then you deserve all you get.

If you don't like comparison sites, feel free to research whichever product you're looking at in your own time.

You have a fair point; as do I.

delcbr 08 December 2008 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV (Post 8332216)

iam sure to tick or untick not to receieve calls from 3rd parties but i still get them after ive been on!!!!!

CooperS 08 December 2008 06:46 PM

You know some of these comparison websites do credit checks on the sly too? A few years ago I got my credit report with loads of these searches on when I'd been looking for new car insurance, always put in duff details now.

Admiral & Elephant were on there too, they do them every time you try for a quote, cheeky feckers

dpb 08 December 2008 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp (Post 8332128)
Selling my details to all and sundry!! :mad:

I get a call every single night now offering me everything from Cavity Wall Insulation to a new Power Supplier!!

I am on the Telephone Preference list too! Just had a call tonight and found out that it's the comparison website which is distributing my details!!

Fuming! :mad:

Thank-you for your contribution - nothing for nothing eh :rolleyes:

SunnySideUp 08 December 2008 07:01 PM

Admiral and Elephant come chasing you relentlessley for your business.

Performance Insurance were chasing me too - they had a reasonable quote, but £750 XS!!! :rolleyes:

GC8 08 December 2008 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by CooperS (Post 8332335)
You know some of these comparison websites do credit checks on the sly too? A few years ago I got my credit report with loads of these searches on when I'd been looking for new car insurance, always put in duff details now.

Admiral & Elephant were on there too, they do them every time you try for a quote, cheeky feckers

When I think of credit and Barnsley, I usually think of Crazy Georges/Brighthouse!

;)

SunnySideUp 09 December 2008 02:12 PM

I am now going to ask them to hold and leaving the phone on the side :D