ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   I wish i could play the guitar as good as this. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/730254-i-wish-i-could-play-the-guitar-as-good-as-this.html)

Borat_Drives_A_Scooby 07 December 2008 10:08 PM

I wish i could play the guitar as good as this.

I`m not sure if their are any guitar players on the forum, i`m learning myself at the moment. How good is this guy, i like U2 as a band, The Edge would be impressed by that guy.

YouTube - Pride - U2

staffs Mike 07 December 2008 10:10 PM

Dude, find the aspiration button on your remote and set it higher..

YouTube - Steve Vai - "I Know You're Here"

:D

I do play, though not as much as I would like anymore. I've not really improved in years though which is a shame, maybe I'll get lessons eventually as I'm about as far as I can go teaching myself.

The Dogs B******s 07 December 2008 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby (Post 8330466)
I`m not sure if their are any guitar players on the forum, i`m learning myself at the moment. How good is this guy, i like U2 as a band, The Edge would be impressed by that guy.

YouTube - Pride - U2

That's me:thumb:

Borat_Drives_A_Scooby 07 December 2008 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by staffs Mike (Post 8330471)
Dude, find the aspiration button on your remote and set it higher..

YouTube - Steve Vai - "I Know You're Here"

:D

I do play, though not as much as I would like anymore. I've not really improved in years though which is a shame, maybe I'll get lessons eventually as I'm about as far as I can go teaching myself.

That guy is amazing, the tune he is playing on that link is really calming, ive got it on in the background at the min. :thumb:

staffs Mike 07 December 2008 10:21 PM

Yeah, I mean Edge is good in a.. human kind of way. But Vai is something quite different indeed.

hux309 07 December 2008 10:26 PM

YouTube - Pink Floyd "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" Syd Barrett Tribute

Bubba po 07 December 2008 10:26 PM

YouTube - Bill Bailey U2

:lol1:

If you like it then that's all that matters. :D

staffs Mike 07 December 2008 10:31 PM

Just stumbled across this gem..

YouTube - Voodoo Child (Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen)

Frankly.. it's a guitargasm.

fatherpierre 07 December 2008 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by staffs Mike (Post 8330494)
Yeah, I mean Edge is good in a.. human kind of way. But Vai is something quite different indeed.

The Edge gave away a lot of his secrets on the recent BBC programme about guitar players.

Most of his sound is echo from simple riffs to make a more complex sound.

I was quite disappointed when I heard him admit he only plays simple riffs and allows the tech to do the rest!

staffs Mike 07 December 2008 10:37 PM

Quick fiddle with an effects peddle (reverb and dealy lol) reveals those sorts of secrets in fairness.

he makes it work for U2 nicely which is fair enough but he's no guitarist, well not to be included in conversations with Vai, and.. any other guitarist really.

Bubba po 07 December 2008 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by staffs Mike (Post 8330521)
Just stumbled across this gem..

YouTube - Voodoo Child (Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen)

Frankly.. it's a guitargasm.

On the other hand, it's a load of self-indulgent wank and an insult to Hendrix and music in general :)

staffs Mike 07 December 2008 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 8330539)
On the other hand, it's a load of self-indulgent wank and an insult to Hendrix and music in general :)

Ouch lol

I saw it as more of a tribute. EDIT well it started off that way. I hadn't actually got to the middle.. I agree with you about the self-indulgent part at the least.

Still, 3 legends on stage at the same time is awesome.

fatherpierre 07 December 2008 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by staffs Mike (Post 8330538)
Quick fiddle with an effects peddle (reverb and dealy lol) reveals those sorts of secrets in fairness.

Aye true.

But he showed how easy it was to play some of his famous riffs and admitted as much! I guess making it look easy is part of the skill.

Borat_Drives_A_Scooby 07 December 2008 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 8330487)
That's me:thumb:

Of course its you :lol1:

For the ones having a go at Edge, at the end of the day its all about the end product and how it fits into a band, Edge`s work fits U2 perfect and he has helped to give them that unique sound which i am a fan of.

pmacFTO 07 December 2008 10:47 PM

I used to play in that style when I was in bands :) Met Vai about 3 times too. I was well into "guitar" music of all kinds. From Frank Gambale to Segovia to Hendrix and Clapton - Jeff Beck too - can't forget him. My dad is a professional guitarist too so it was no surprise I played too!

Check out YouTube - Steve Vai - "Tender Surrender" and also look up "For the love of God" by Vai too.
YouTube - Joe Satriani - Always with me, always with you

The guy in that vid is very average - there are a million like him (prob on YouTube alone!)

For technique and phrasing and if you don't like the shredding: try this:
YouTube - Larry Carlton - Emotions wound us so (live Last Nite album)
One of the most amazing pieces of guitar playing. If his sound is familiar it's because he was a session guitarist and played on many famous songs - he also wrote and played the Hill Street Blues song! lol

Next in your guitar education would be John Petrucci:
YouTube - Dream Theater - Lines in the Sand (Live)
Dream Theater are just incredible musicans all round - but I realise metal/rock is not for everyone :)

Man, I have so many guitarists I want to tell ppl about!! lol

fatherpierre 07 December 2008 10:47 PM

Not having a go at him. Just saying I was surprised at how simple his sound was to create and how easily he gave up what he does.

It explained the lack of the guitar the solo in U2's back catalogue though:lol1:

Sonic' 07 December 2008 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 8330509)
YouTube - Bill Bailey U2

:lol1:

If you like it then that's all that matters. :D

I was looking for that post myself :lol1:

I cannot listen to any U2 now without thinking of Bill Bailey :D

Bubba po 07 December 2008 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by staffs Mike (Post 8330546)
Ouch lol

I saw it as more of a tribute.

Honestly, I can't stand anything like that. Where's the emotion? It's just too fast to appreciate anything about it. It doesn't provoke any emotional response from the listener other than a vague feeling of "fcuk, that's fast". Guitarists with fingers so fast have missed their true vocation in life, which is maybe inputting computer data, or destroying alien invaders on the playstation. :D

fatherpierre 07 December 2008 10:52 PM

I always appreciated a bit of John Squire.

Intricate, but with a bit of warmth.

staffs Mike 07 December 2008 10:54 PM

Now you're crossing a line lol

No emotion response? Vai and Satriani (and others like them of course) are amazing technically.. obviously, but also compositionally.

Jam sessions like G3 etc.. aren't about that really it's about showing guitar fan boi's what they can do. Some of their slower stuff is amazing too.. satriani's ZZ's song for one.

Sonic' 07 December 2008 10:59 PM

Francis Dunnery and Steve Rothery are two of my faves, but then I do know them both personally

pmacFTO 07 December 2008 11:01 PM

to be fair G3 is all about guitarists and guitaring :D The crowd want them to show off and trade licks - don't think greats like Hendrix and Clapton and Beck didn't do that too!

Vai and Satch most definitely have feeling and have an astounding knowledge of subtlety and phrasing where needed. They just so happen to be able to play quick too. They are both trying to take things to the next level sonically - and they achieved it!
YouTube - Joe Satriani - Always with me, always with you

Vai won a Grammy for Tender Surrender! If that's not acclaim I don't know what is :)
Bubba - hope you liked my Larry Carlton link :D

EDIT: Francis Dunnery rocked - the It Bites albums were cracking in a prog way :) He is a great guitarist.

Bubba po 07 December 2008 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by pmacFTO (Post 8330592)

Vai and Satch most definitely have feeling and have an astounding knowledge of subtlety and phrasing where needed. They just so happen to be able to play quick too.

LOL, I love how you left out Yngwe malmsteen - what a prize willy he is.

You'll do for me. :D

Originally Posted by pmacFTO (Post 8330592)
Bubba - hope you liked my Larry Carlton link :D

I'll check it out now, funk soul brother. :)

Bubba po 07 December 2008 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po (Post 8330610)
I'll check it out now, funk soul brother. :)

:Suspiciou

http://mikesimagination.files.wordpr.../test-card.jpg

dpb 07 December 2008 11:58 PM

some emotion

YouTube - Congo - Diblo Dibala - Super K
Nice car as well :D

baser999 08 December 2008 04:44 AM

Carlos Santana will always be a bit of a guitar hero - Samba Pa Ti is a classic and the guitar playing on Promise of a Fisherman on the Borbolleta Lp is a bit special

mrtheedge2u2 08 December 2008 08:38 AM

Borat.... if you want to check out some U2 cover stuff..... check this guy out

YouTube - Ralqh's Channel

Borat_Drives_A_Scooby 08 December 2008 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 (Post 8330877)
Borat.... if you want to check out some U2 cover stuff..... check this guy out

YouTube - Ralqh's Channel

Thanks, again he is superb. Thats the style i like hence why i like U2, its a unique sound.

warrenm2 08 December 2008 12:45 PM

too much faffing in some of those - just play goddammitt! See below!

YouTube - Slash - Hey Joe Jimi Hendrix Tribute

tanyatriangles 08 December 2008 12:55 PM

Best I EVER saw:

YouTube - johnny winter live 1970
and: YouTube - Johnny Winter-Woodstock