ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   New Scam going about (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/729714-new-scam-going-about.html)

hodgy0_2 05 December 2008 11:08 AM

New Scam going about

Just though i'd post this in the "general" section as it probably has a wider veiwing public than "other marques" section where I have posted it as a reply to a thread.

a recent scam, that nearly caught a friend out, (and heard mentioned on the radio) is as follows

you see a cheap car and enquire about it

owner may or may not say they live abroad -- but in any case will inform you that it is a hassle to show someone who may not have the money to buy it - time waster etc

to ensure that you have the money and are serious they will request you do a money transfer to yourself (to a money transfer office where the car is located) -- safe yes -- coz it payable to you

they will then ask you to send confirmation that you have sent the money (to yourself) so that they know you are not a timewaster

now this is the scam -- they know YOU and where you sent the money to -- so they go and collect it -- the problem is the receiving Moneygram place have very very lax rules on identification -- the scammer turns up, he knows your name the amount and prob the reference no of the transfer

SCAMMED -- so the whole scam is aimed at exploiting the weakness of the Moneygram shops at verifying the identity of the person collecting the money

you have been warned

g7prs 05 December 2008 11:11 AM

You would need to be bloody stupid to do that. :cuckoo:

If they wont let you view a car they are selling ..

A) alarm bells would be ringing.
B) tell them to @@@@ off

hodgy0_2 05 December 2008 11:34 AM

well it nearly caught my friend out -- he was looking at quite an expensive car

the guy who was selling it said he was working in frankfurt and would have to fly back etc etc -- they spoke on the phone, so no email malarkey with dodgy english etc

wasn’t going to fly back unless he knew the buyer had the money/serious etc

could happen -- but agree you'd have to be a bit foolish, but then when people see a bargain -- especially cars etc, the red mist comes down

It’s the car equivalent of those nightclub "beer goggle" blokes wear -- all rational thought goes down the sh1tter

top_fuel 05 December 2008 12:25 PM

true true.... thanxs for the Warning mate :)

... but I would never buy from someone who makes me go through the trouble...

reano 05 December 2008 12:29 PM

This was featured on watchdog but for people taking deposits for your house One you want to rent). Did the same thing.

Connor_scotland 05 December 2008 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by g7prs (Post 8324819)
You would need to be bloody stupid to do that. :cuckoo:

If they wont let you view a car they are selling ..

A) alarm bells would be ringing.
B) tell them to @@@@ off

exactly

Fair play for telling everyone tho

fivetide 05 December 2008 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by reano (Post 8325013)
This was featured on watchdog but for people taking deposits for your house One you want to rent). Did the same thing.

It was as well. Looks like they've branched out a bit then. Nice to ahve a genuine scam mentioned rather than an email that's years old!

Simple rule of thumb Western Union = Scam.

5t.

micahmoor 05 December 2008 01:03 PM

Any one that asked me to do that would be told to Fxxx Oxx!!!!!!!!!

wiley 05 December 2008 01:05 PM

^^^

exactly, do we have TW*T written on our foreheads lol

wiley

Terminator X 05 December 2008 01:30 PM

If it looks too good to be true ...

If you get caught with that one you deserve it IMHO!

TX.

hodgy0_2 05 December 2008 03:21 PM

i think the thing with this scam was that it wasnt email

it was done using the phone, my friend said the guy sounded V plausible on the phone

no "salutations exhaulted friend" and the like