ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   3 port boost solenoid??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/729556-3-port-boost-solenoid.html)

justdragons 04 December 2008 07:41 PM

3 port boost solenoid???

Can anyone tell me what advantages these have over the 2 port boost solenoids?

Does it turn the boost up,as when mind had a bit of sh*t init it boosted round to 1.5 instaed of 0.9

Thanks
Mike

Juice 04 December 2008 09:15 PM

i would also be interested in knowing the differences

bluenose172 04 December 2008 09:18 PM

It basically allows for finer boost control, it can help spool up to a degree and can help hold boost further up the rev range.

Adidas 04 December 2008 10:48 PM

Anyone care to recommend a good make?

sparky d 04 December 2008 10:51 PM

i've been thinking about this myself , are they really worth doing etc and i've only ever found good opinions of these ,

So as above can anyone reccomend a good place to get hold of one and a rough price too ?

bluenose172 04 December 2008 11:09 PM

It's been said many times, you can't just fit one and be done with it. It needs a remap after fitting. Perrin make one at a reasonable price, TSL sell it. Subaru sell one, bt it costs about £190.

sparky d 04 December 2008 11:14 PM

yeah i've read that mate , i'm gonna go for a remap early doors next year , and wanted to start picking up various odds and sodds to soften the blow of one huge bill ,

Cheers bud

Dave

justdragons 04 December 2008 11:29 PM

Thanks all for replys.

So would this make the tubo boost more like round to 1.5-1.7.

I am also looking for bits and peices before the re-map also want a tdo5 18g/20g and bigger injectors.

justdragons 04 December 2008 11:33 PM

Just found this one on ebay for half that price and also theirs one on there mdae by zen.
Says they fit sti/wrx from 93-07

Perrin performance 3 port boost control solenoid on eBay, also Suspension Components, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 29-Dec-08 13:00:02 GMT)

bluenose172 05 December 2008 12:25 AM

That's the Perrin one I talked about, my brother runs that one in his Spec C.

It depends what turbo you are running. You shouldn't look at it as allowing you to run stupidly high boost to the red line, it could do that, but you'll end up being way outside the efficiency range of the turbo. You'll just be blowing hot air into the cylinders, which isn't good!

The main advantage is the control, in a bleed system(2 port), there is always pressurised air pushing against the wastegate actuator diaphram, so as the revs/boost rise it doesn't matter how much duty cycle you use, the actuator will begin to open the wastegate, thus reducing boost. With the interupt mode(3 port) you have full control over the amount of pressurised air reaching the wastegate actuator, so in theory you should be able to sustain your boost targets higher up the rev range, still being careful not to exceed turbo efficiency.

joz8968 06 December 2008 11:55 AM

Thanks for that explanation.

How does the 3-port do this then? Is it that the 3rd port at the bottom is bleeding off boost before, obviously, it would have got to to the actuator then? How does it 'know' when to let the max boost level reach the actuator then - what's the mechanism and how does it work, etc.?

N.B. I will be fitting A'PEXi's boost control kit to go hand in hand with my PFC with upped boost, later on. Is the BCS in that kit a 3-port one then?! :)

bluenose172 06 December 2008 12:06 PM

Basically, the t-piece from the turbo to the actuator is removed, so there is no direct link from the turbo to actuator. The amount of boost directed to the actuator is controlled via the ECU, via WGDC %.

joz8968 06 December 2008 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by bluenose172 (Post 8327392)
Basically, the t-piece from the turbo to the actuator is removed, so there is no direct link from the turbo to actuator. The amount of boost directed to the actuator is controlled via the ECU, via WGDC %.

Got it! Cheers :thumb:

Thing is, having the turbo directly linked to the wastegate surely acts as a sort of safety backup 'fuse', should the BCS/ECU bugger up, no? Which is a good thing.

justdragons 06 December 2008 01:54 PM

Thanks all great info:notworthy :notworthy

thewhitewarrior 06 December 2008 02:06 PM

i was looking at this one from zen performance on ebay 120304313143, phil.

eggy790 06 December 2008 03:43 PM

ok so what benefit do the 4 port boost solinoids do? i see them about for a few quid more..

eggy790 06 December 2008 09:30 PM

bump

bluenose172 06 December 2008 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 8327575)
Got it! Cheers :thumb:

Thing is, having the turbo directly linked to the wastegate surely acts as a sort of safety backup 'fuse', should the BCS/ECU bugger up, no? Which is a good thing.

That's just something you have to live with the 3 port. If it does fail, there is the possibility your wastegate won't open on a WOT run, then bang.....

bluenose172 06 December 2008 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by eggy790 (Post 8327751)
ok so what benefit do the 4 port boost solinoids do? i see them about for a few quid more..

You'd only consider one of them if you were moving to a EWG(External Wastegate), I think, not too hot on EWG.....just yet.

silent running 07 December 2008 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by bluenose172 (Post 8324162)
It's been said many times, you can't just fit one and be done with it. It needs a remap after fitting. Perrin make one at a reasonable price, TSL sell it. Subaru sell one, bt it costs about £190.

First I heard of it? I nabbed one off an old classic breaker, stuck it straight on my v4 to replace my 2 port, it was plug and play, cycles the same way, works the same way, just the inlet/outlet arrangement is different. I guess if you fitted one thinking it was some kind of go-faster device you'd be disappointed. It's simply a supporting mod to go with a remap/new ECU. But I can tell you that it will run exactly the same as a 2-port, everything else being equal.

bluenose172 07 December 2008 09:00 AM

You couldn't be more wrong mate.

joz8968 07 December 2008 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by bluenose172 (Post 8328690)
That's just something you have to live with the 3 port. If it does fail, there is the possibility your wastegate won't open on a WOT run, then bang.....

Right. A calculated risk then? That said, presumably BCS/ECU failures are rare as far as the W/G not opening is concerned, yes?

Presumably, you could also fit one of these: Go Fast Bits 2008, to act as some kind of second line of defence? (It's basically a simple mechanical 'on' or 'off' boost cutter).

silent running 08 December 2008 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by bluenose172 (Post 8328932)
You couldn't be more wrong mate.

Well all I'm telling is how it was on my car. It was a straight swap, there was no difference in performance. I didn't have a remap for some while afterwards and there was no problem. If you don't believe me, fine. All it is is a solenoid controlled by a duty cycle signal.

bluenose172 08 December 2008 07:19 PM

I don't know if we are getting our wires crossed here, didn't your car come with a 3 port from the factory, in which case there is no need for a remap if you swapped it to another 3 port. Going from a 2 port to a 3 port does, I know precisely how the 2 port and 3 port function.

steveo_8 09 December 2008 07:32 PM

if you were running a apexi acvr you wouldnt need a 3 port boost solenoid? am i right?

joz8968 09 December 2008 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by steveo_8 (Post 8335300)
if you were running a apexi acvr you wouldnt need a 3 port boost solenoid? am i right?

Does not the AVCR include in the kit its own bespoke BCS? (which I think is a 3-porter anyhow) :wonder:

Juice 07 February 2009 09:37 PM

whos running a 3 port boost solenoid then, and how are your experiences with the boost through the rev range

your experience and opinions are appreciated

thanx