ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   North Antrim coast as a holiday destination - thoughts ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/729339-north-antrim-coast-as-a-holiday-destination-thoughts.html)

ricardo 03 December 2008 07:45 PM

North Antrim coast as a holiday destination - thoughts ?

We've been thinking of going to Ireland, and we'd kind of been looking at the west, like County Mayo. Then over a few bottles of wine some friends said they'd like to see the Giant's Causeway, which is nowhere near there but up on the north coast of Northern Ireland. So now the plan is that we are all going to the North Coast of Antrim, at May half-term. There appears to be some spectacular scenery, interesting places to visit (like the Bushmills Distillery Tour) plus more spectacular scenery.

However...

we'd want self-catering accommodation for two couples, and from looking at the usual websites it all looks a bit basic. There are millions of B&B's, but we'd like something independent and, dare I say, upmarket. With a view. Most of the cottages look as if they are furnished by somebody that thinks MFI is really trendy.

(I realise that in travelling elsewhere one has to absorb the local culture ;))

So, Scoobynet, what's the North Antrim Coast actually like as a holiday destination, and where to stay ?

Puff The Magic Wagon! 03 December 2008 08:11 PM

LOL - a lot of it is what you would call basic. Portrush is a bit like the N Irish version of Skegness or Blackpool with the associated holiday housing to those areas. Ballycastle is much the same, though I have been in some nice ones there.

Look out for older Georgian style houses, a lot of them are very pleasant with large rooms. Otherwise Dublin hotels,Dublin & Ireland hotels,Ireland self catering accommodation, bed & breakfasts has some good places. It will be a question of google & entering "self-catering" I think to work out what is/isn't suitable for you.

However, when you're up there, take the Magiligan/Moville ferry and take in Inishowen for a day, follow the Inishowen 100 route for some cracking scenery. Also a trip to Rathlin Island is worth it.

Luke 03 December 2008 08:21 PM

Not the best place for "boutique " style rooms !

But the area is amazing. I use to go around in the early 80's and loved it. Its totaly wild .

ricardo 03 December 2008 08:35 PM

ok, I think I'm getting the flavour of it here.... :)

Any more ideas ? To be honest it is the area that is the attraction, not the accommodation, but too basic might be a worry... :eek:

Jamz3k 03 December 2008 08:40 PM

i live near the Antrim Coast, its ****e:lol1: nuff said

ricardo 03 December 2008 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by BigJay (Post 8321009)
i live near the Antrim Coast, its ****e:lol1: nuff said

Even the scenery ?

j4ckos mate 03 December 2008 09:28 PM

Thats the name of my road Portrush, we always said we would go there one day.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 04 December 2008 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by ricardo (Post 8321022)
Even the scenery ?

Well the below is the view from my hill over in Inishowen/Malin Head which I think is better than the N Antrim coast but I am biased :D

http://www.goorey.com/irl/1.jpg

MrLouKnee 04 December 2008 11:53 AM

i was posted to N.ireland between dec 1989 and may 1992

the north antrim coast is the most beautiful place ive ever been in my life

and the bushmills brewery is there, dont take ur car or get ur wife /gf to drive cos u'll get bladdered on the tour

:thumb:

ricardo 04 December 2008 05:33 PM

Puff's Inishowen picture looks like just the ticket, and it has the advantage that it isn't actually the much-maligned North Antrim Coast. The Giant's Causeway (that started this whole thing, see the first post) is still not all that far from there...

Does being in the Republic make it nicer ?

Puff The Magic Wagon! 04 December 2008 07:38 PM

Of course it does :D

Though the £-euro not so hot at the moment :(

Though I would say that there has been a lot of new builds recently by Northerners benefiting from the peace dividend buying up property - though a good proportion of these become self-catering. Still absolutely gorgeous location :)