ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Its amazing how far we have came (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/728778-its-amazing-how-far-we-have-came.html)

StickyMicky 30 November 2008 10:38 PM

Its amazing how far we have came

Regards to gaming, this morning i was searching the net to find out why my nokia N93 kept switching itself off, and stumbled upon the nokia N-Gage stuff.

i recall nokia making proper "gaming" mobiles that you could play games on a while back but had not seen them for a while.

it seams the "N-Gage" name is now a kind of set of standards for games to be made to play on the more powerfull nokia N series smart phones, so i gave it a whirl

first impressions, hell this reminds me of xbox live :Suspiciou:eek:

downloading trial games and testing them out, gamer score and gamer cards present :eek:

downloaded this trial of a fighting game, and to be honest, i was blown away, i cant believe this thing runs as it does on my phone, its like a well textured PS1 or reasonable ps2 game :eek:

YouTube - ONE - Who's Next (PREVIEW)

totally amazing, and quite easy to control as well with the N93 as the screen flips around like this

YouTube - Nokia fighting game

i spent an hour playing it :cuckoo:

spent some more time looking about and found copies of quake3 arena to run on N series phones, and tomb raider (tomb raiders not quite as impressive mind)

spectrum48k 30 November 2008 11:49 PM

Totally agree - mobile phones have come on quite a bit recently.

The guy who created Quake and Doom recently said after researching the iPhone as a potential development platform, he was surprised to note that in terms of horsepower is comparable to Playstation2 and the first Xbox!

And to think the chip that powers the iPhone and a hell of a lot of other mobiles was originally created by a Brit - Professor Steve Furber - the guy who played a major role in the design of the BBC Microcomputer and went on to co-design the ARM processor.

bob269 01 December 2008 12:23 AM

As sexy as the new mobile games are they are still uncontrollable.

StickyMicky 01 December 2008 07:17 AM

IIRC you can use a bluetooth controller on some of them and the N93 includes a TV out, so you can hook it up to a large screen if needed :lol1:

not sure if any others provide the TV out option.

will come in handy next time i am away somewhere as i wont have to lug my old ps2 around with me :D

its no differernt IMO then using an old NES controller, in fact i think its easier :)

jaytc2003 01 December 2008 08:40 AM

I remember a mate many years back buying an ngage. if only he knew what would happen...

Neanderthal 01 December 2008 11:11 AM

As an aside, did you find out the reason why your N93 kept turning itself off? my mate has one and it drives him mad.

spectrum48k 01 December 2008 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by bob269 (Post 8314157)
As sexy as the new mobile games are they are still uncontrollable.

Bob, you miserable old sod! :lol1:

(have to agree though!)

StickyMicky 01 December 2008 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Neanderthal (Post 8314518)
As an aside, did you find out the reason why your N93 kept turning itself off? my mate has one and it drives him mad.

from what i read on various forums, its supposed to be the latest firmware that does it :thumb:

no idea if you can "flash down" to an early one yet?

jaytc2003 01 December 2008 02:13 PM

you can flash down, but you need software/hardware to do so. Some software that will allow it is called phoenix, this requires a dongle, however there is apparently a crack that bypasses the dongle. You then need to get hold of the relevant firmware.

Another alternative is to use a program called NSS (think its called that will check later) this will allow you to change the type of your phone as in the version of that model, therefore allowing a further software update. If you find a generic code you can update the firmware to the latest generic which will probably have all features of the phone unlocked (will not be sim unlocked though)