ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Did you know... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/727929-did-you-know.html)

Boro 27 November 2008 02:06 PM

Did you know...

... a group of researchers at the Security and Cryptography Laboratory at Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne in Switzerland have shown that you can read what is typed on a keyboard from 20miles away.

It takes some sophisticated equipment to do it, but with the right antennae and a bit of luck it seems you can detect the radio emissions coming from the wires that connect keyboards to computers and tell just what someone is typing.

:eek:

Full story >>> BBC NEWS | Technology | Don't have security nightmares

boxst 27 November 2008 02:25 PM

It is virtually impossible to filter a particular keyboard though. Security is a myth anyway, as you can just tap the telephone wire that ADSL is going through and filter it that way or crack the wireless connection.

Steve

ChefDude 27 November 2008 02:32 PM

there's no quick way of cracking WPA2

Boro 27 November 2008 03:33 PM

They say there is?

However, the latest version of a password recovery tool from Elcomsoft takes advantage of the astonishing processing power of the latest range of Nvidia graphics processing units (GPUs) to crack the WPA and WPA2 wireless security protocols in a matter of hours or even minutes, rendering most commercial wireless networks open to attack.

ChefDude 27 November 2008 04:21 PM

err, i read that too, but i'm sure they only cracked WPA. Admittedly in 15 minutes lol

ChefDude 27 November 2008 04:22 PM

it seems they carried on improving the algorithms lol!

Boro 27 November 2008 04:30 PM

So, nothing is safe!

Removed. 27 November 2008 05:21 PM

The only computer that is safe from outside threats is the one that is still in it's cardboard box. However, take sensible precautions, and unless someone is specifically targeting you, then they will move on to someone that doesn't use a password, has no firewall and an open wifi network.

ChefDude 27 November 2008 05:36 PM

i switch on my router, pc when i need to do something. when i'm done, i swtich all of it off.

the window of opportunity for a wardriver is pretty bloody slim in my case.

TonyBurns 27 November 2008 09:03 PM

It all depends on the level of encryption, though everything is crackable in the end, but most of these wireless encryption systems are low compared to other government security systems and mobile phone encryption systems on 3G networks.

Tony:)

c-o-l-e 28 November 2008 04:59 AM

MAC restrictions and WPA-PSK with a GUID generated key works well for me.
It's probably crackable, but not of much use to anyone who does.

spectrum48k 28 November 2008 01:51 PM

this WPA2 crack is novel
Elcomsoft uses NVIDIA GPUs to crack WPA2 - Engadget