ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Weird feeling on back end when cornering (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/727832-weird-feeling-on-back-end-when-cornering.html)

leemus 26 November 2008 09:43 PM

Weird feeling on back end when cornering

Hello all,

I posted a few qs on the suspension thread but no clues so I'm hoping for something on here.

2003 Sti PPP 50k. When cornering fairly hard I get a strange feeling from the rear end. It is as if the back slips just a touch (making me want to countersteer) but then stops and is fine thereafter, even if I turn in harder or use more power. Its weird because I keep thinking its going to slide then realise that it is nowher near that point. I have checked the ARB bushes and shockers and springs. All ok. I was wondering whether:

1. This is a diff thing as the car recognizes rear end slip and transfers drive to the front.

2. I have a dodgy shocker - one side does feel firmer than the other.

3. SRB bushes are shot but they look fine and there is no top/bottom movement of the wheeel when it is off the ground.

4. Geo is miles out?

I have owned a couple of wrxs before but never an Sti. I have spoken to a dealer and TSL today but they can't suggest anything.

Has anyone else felt this?:confused:

Fat Boy 27 November 2008 09:03 AM

Does your car have a front limited slip diff ? I'm just thinking that I remember some of the later models that came out with these for the first time getting commented on how the way the front diff made an initial dart for the corner was abit disconcerting. I know you said rear end, but just a thought.

leemus 27 November 2008 09:31 AM

Dunno but this is definitely a rear end thing

Norman Dog 27 November 2008 12:25 PM

I had exactly the same issue with mine, the back end felt like it was sliding even on moderate corners/roundabouts.

Replaced rear shocks and everything fine. :)

Fat Boy 27 November 2008 02:18 PM

My point was that a lot of people, road testers included, spun the cars unexpectedly when the back end went due to the front diff related issues, but any way as the guy above says may be the rear struts

sKunk 27 November 2008 03:00 PM

Knocked a rear wheel and perhaps got rear toe-out now? Worth getting your geo settings checked.

davedipster 27 November 2008 04:20 PM

try adding some power in the corner, the front suretrack diff does wonderfull things under power.

Timwinner 27 November 2008 04:31 PM

I get the same on my 02 STi, it feels like you caught the car by surprise, once its realised that its in a corner it sorts itself out.

I take fast corners now on the widest line and make sure I power enough to maintain speed, not to increase or decrease speed. This makes the car dig in and settle.

If you find out what it is let me know, I accidentally powerslid the Sainsburys roundabout. Looked like a right bell end.

stonejedi 27 November 2008 04:38 PM

have you had a four wheel alignment done my car was abit skippey at the rear but when i got the alignment done it handled really well.

leemus 27 November 2008 06:34 PM

Looks like you guys have experienced 3 out of the 4 possibilities. Current plan is to remove check and replace shocks as necessary then geo. See how we go. Thanks for your time.

leemus 08 December 2008 08:24 PM

Hi,
Just in case this is any use to someone, we have sorted the problem:

1. The car had already had 1 shocker fitted to cure the sti knock (why just one I do not know) so we fitted another new one to match - the damping on the 2 new ones felt similar whereas the older one was stiffer at first whilst it felt more compliant under load.

2. One of the ARB links was seized. Looked at after market replacements but the bushes didn't look great so fitted 2 new genuine arb links.

3. the arb bushes were a bit baggy so 2 of these.

4. Set up the geo.

Took the car out today and it was just fine. Sorted.

So we're not sure whether it was one thing or a combination but didn't have the time or inclination to do the above separately, it got what it needed whilst it was in the air.

Thanks for your posts.

Lee

f1_fan 09 December 2008 04:17 PM

Hi Lee,

Had exactly the same problem with my 2003 STI.

Did exactly what you did and the problem was sorted.... for a month or so and then gradually returned.

Did the ARB links and bushes again and again all was well ... for a month or so.

Eventually the rear diff failed and after a new rear diff .... problem was sorted and never returned.

Not saying you have the same issue, but..... HTH!

codie247 09 December 2008 05:31 PM

same on my 53 STi. Was replacing rear ARB, droplinks and had Prodrive springs fitted with geometry, no problems after that.

Lee