ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Ireland & Northern Ireland (https://www.scoobynet.com/ireland-and-northern-ireland-27/)
-   -   MOT fail for speedo not duel marked? (https://www.scoobynet.com/ireland-and-northern-ireland-27/727621-mot-fail-for-speedo-not-duel-marked.html)

crawf_typeR 25 November 2008 10:27 PM

MOT fail for speedo not duel marked?

can anyone help me out with this?:confused:
it has mph with no kph
its a sti type R

JonMc 26 November 2008 12:42 PM

That sounds barking, the speedo is not checked as a part of the MOT from what I can see in here - MOT Testers Manual

bigsigh 26 November 2008 01:26 PM

Theres a few threads about this , its a Northern Ireland thing, it must read in both because we can go over the border to the south where they use KPH . doesnt apply to the mainland UK , specific to us over here.

Some testers are more strict than others, i got away with a warning , but they are entitled to fail ya for it :(

lockwood do them cheap enough and are handy changed , just be careful on the needles

crawf_typeR 26 November 2008 05:12 PM

lock wod dont do the dials for my car ive looked up there similar to the p1 speedo. its a pain in the ass.
wouldnt mind getting the car out for a proper rip!

ulsterscooby 26 November 2008 09:46 PM

Theres an evo driving mot tester over on scoobyireland might be able to shed some light on the matter

his login is mr rs

Rab

bigsigh 27 November 2008 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by crawf_typeR (Post 8302701)
lock wod dont do the dials for my car ive looked up there similar to the p1 speedo. its a pain in the ass.
wouldnt mind getting the car out for a proper rip!

Not lockwood, i know, but it would get you on the road ?

CUSTOM white Dials To Fit Subaru Impreza facelift RARE! on eBay, also Dial, Dash Switch Custom'n, Interior Styling, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 27-Nov-08 14:48:42 GMT)

rbaz 27 November 2008 09:45 AM

If you have or can get an origional KM only one I will swop it with my MPH/KM dial as I am in France and the original one would look better anyway.
Mine is a V3 STI so the early clocks :thumb:

scubbay 27 November 2008 09:51 AM

I have decals made that are mot friendly. No need to mess around with needles etc. Bring your clocks down to me and I'll sort it for you.

crawf_typeR 27 November 2008 06:05 PM

can someone send me pauls number as ive lost it or if you read it first thanks

brocks 27 November 2008 09:57 PM

U2U Sent....:)

robertgraham 11 December 2008 06:24 PM

Also failed for this, get some cheap stick on figures for the test, then take them off afterwards because they are gash looking.

moffett 18 December 2008 03:44 PM

Had to do this on the liner aswell. I have a v3 type r and I have some white dual marked ebay dials......Personally I would just get some stickers made up

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 11 January 2009 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by bigsigh (Post 8302221)
Theres a few threads about this , its a Northern Ireland thing, it must read in both because we can go over the border to the south where they use KPH . doesnt apply to the mainland UK , specific to us over here.

Some testers are more strict than others, i got away with a warning , but they are entitled to fail ya for it :(

lockwood do them cheap enough and are handy changed , just be careful on the needles

It is not a Northern Ireland thing..

It is European legislation that all cars in the UK, must have both mph, and kph displayed on the speedo.

Whereas everywhere else in Europe...they only require kph. Go figure. Typical Eurocrats.

Chunkymonkey 11 January 2009 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ustolemyname??stevieturbo (Post 8415439)

It is European legislation that all cars in the UK, must have both mph, and kph displayed on the speedo.

Whereas everywhere else in Europe...they only require kph. Go figure. Typical Eurocrats.

that's not right to the best of my knowledge mate. MOT testers manual doesn't even cover the speedometer and there is no requirement even to have one fitted. had my rally car pass its MOT twice with no speedo, and not even an issue in the UK, so can only assume its an NI thing.

comprehensive checklist on this link and dials on the dash aren't even included

MOT Test UK - Car owner's guide to the MOT Test

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 11 January 2009 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chunkymonkey (Post 8416498)
that's not right to the best of my knowledge mate. MOT testers manual doesn't even cover the speedometer and there is no requirement even to have one fitted. had my rally car pass its MOT twice with no speedo, and not even an issue in the UK, so can only assume its an NI thing.

comprehensive checklist on this link and dials on the dash aren't even included

MOT Test UK - Car owner's guide to the MOT Test

Our MOT isnt quite as flexible as the mainland MOT's ;). Ours just tend to follow the rules a bit stricter, which can be good and bad.

As I said. Its European legislation. ALL cars in the UK, must have both mph, and kph displayed.

Your listing above is only a guide...not a comprehensive list. In fact..it doesnt even mention instrumentation at all. And the FIRST thing a tester asks here, is for the milage of the vehicle..
Your listing above, doesnt even mention a speedo at all.....but of course it must have one.

bigsigh 12 January 2009 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ustolemyname??stevieturbo (Post 8415439)

Ahh my bad, i just assumed it was a NI thing as wen i brought the car from England it had a list of MOT's no bother with the 'MPH only' clocks , but wen i went for mine i got an advisory, but i havent had any experience with anything further than the UK or ireland so i didnt realise, but i guess that makes sense :thumb:

justinmeadowhill 03 July 2010 12:34 PM

any body tell me where to get them made or can you just buy them some where in n.ireland? My 99 type ra failed mot for it as well!!!

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 03 July 2010 04:51 PM

It does seem that is is an NI thing after all.

The Mainland MOT is very vague, and doesnt even check to see if the speedo etc works. From what Ive read, it only has to be present.

Our local MOT is far far stricter in many respects.

Lockwood or some of them places will sell new speedo faces that you can stick on. Or I seen one car where they simply wrote on the dial face with marker lol

At the end of the day...as long as its dual marked, does it matter how its marked ?

http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/Freedom%20of...Tachogragh.pdf

justinmeadowhill 03 July 2010 05:31 PM

sorted! just bought stickers on good olde ebay! hopefully arrive on tuesday! tryed lockwood too and they seem to have older speedo setups no problem but not the sti dash?
cheers justin

tarmac terror 03 July 2010 08:15 PM

Interesting one as to what the minimum standard is??? If your were to mark only 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 on the dial would this suffice, as these are the typical MPH limits.

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 03 July 2010 08:26 PM

You can see the MOT requirements I linked above. It isnt overly specific. But it does sounds reasonable that anything up to 120kph should be plenty ( motorways are 120kph/74 mph down south )

One solicitor a while back suggested a Sat Nav would perform in kph, and should be enough. But we know that such common sense ideas, never wash with our goverment bodies.

gaz3434 06 July 2010 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ustolemyname??stevieturbo (Post 9478235)
....a Sat Nav would perform in kph, and should be enough.

That's what I used in my old DC5 Integra a few years back, as well as a standalone electronic speed meter placed on top of the steering wheel column. The MOT inspector just had a look and saw that it read in km/h and was happy enough.

I've got through the last 2 MOTs in the Scooby with no km/h markings or readout at all! It all depends on how fussy the inspector you get is....