ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Survivors (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/727491-survivors.html)

speedking 25 November 2008 01:24 PM

Survivors

Haven't seen a thread about the BBC drama so here's my 2p:

Good plot, good acting, some big names. Interested to know what happens.

But; they keep saying that the virus "Could wipe out 90% of the population." Now that's a big number, and no doubt big enough to be devastating if it happened in real life. But imagine the M25 with 10% of the traffic, still a lot of cars, think how many people live on your road, if only 10% survived that's probably 10 people. So how come in Survivors there are hardly any vehicles and huge office blocks with no-one in? That one fact is spoiling it for me :mad:

tanyatriangles 25 November 2008 01:29 PM

Government figures: like inflation, they SAY 3%, they MEAN 15+%.
In the drama, they SAY 10%, they meant 0.1%.

What got me is that it's a remake of a 70's thing, and that there have been other VERY similar things too. The one where they all woke up after a train crash, for example.

Personally, I don't think any of them could hold a candle to Steven King's "The Stand";)

There seem to be very few NEW ideas about for dramas any more. Or am I getting old?

Neanderthal 25 November 2008 01:49 PM

I was just amazed that even though 90% of the worlds population have been wiped out yet our 'stars' have somehow in a matter of days managed to stumble upon each other purely by chance!

Removed. 25 November 2008 01:49 PM

That's because it isn't new, it's a remaking of a novel by Terry Nation from the 70's. :) The original series was on inthe mid 70's, and was pretty good. Hopefully this will be a success. I spotted the same 90% bit, but it was a government estimate, even then, that's what, 6+ million survivors. At 99% it's 600,000. Going from how empty the towns were, it's more like 99.9%!

EddScott 25 November 2008 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=tanyatriangles;8299503. The one where they all woke up after a train crash, for example.

[/QUOTE]

I liked that one. It was shown not too long ago on Sci Fi IIRC.

Liked Surivors. Look forward to the next episode tonight.

+Doc+ 25 November 2008 02:29 PM

I enjoyed the first episode, slightly silly in places (echo the above about all the survivors meeting) but there is something missing.......flesh eating zombies!!!

jaytc2003 25 November 2008 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 8299487)
So how come in Survivors there are hardly any vehicles and huge office blocks with no-one in? That one fact is spoiling it for me :mad:

The uk is quite a big place so 10% spread out you wouldnt really see many people, unless the surviving 10% were from the same region.

Anyway, I didnt actually watch it, I saw it advertised and I thought that it was abit too 28 days/weeks later which bored me.

SJ_Skyline 25 November 2008 02:37 PM

Flesh eating zombies would be good...

...steel-edged boomerangs and nitrous on bunch of V8s would be better :thumb:

Unfortunately this is the BBC so we'll probably have a diverse cast which face various issues such as global warming, nasty people with guns, nasty people that speed and the benefits of a vegan lifestyle. :(

andys 25 November 2008 02:53 PM

Wonder where the road shots wehre taken as they certainly don't look like any roads I have drive on in the uk. Stange central resivations on the motorways and no hard shoulders either..

Timwinner 25 November 2008 03:03 PM

the road shots were filmed in Nuneaton and a test track. If you look closely you will see missing road lights, lack of correctly coloured cats eyes, Dual carriage with no markers for police or recovery service etc.

Its a good show, I wanted to hate it after that T4 one, you know the one they forgot to write an ending for, But as it turns out it was pretty easy to watch.

Midlife...... 25 November 2008 03:14 PM

Very similar to "threads" set in sheffield in the 70'......good though. :D

PS

Where was all the blood when max beasley stabbed the prison warder?

scunnered 25 November 2008 03:19 PM

The 1975 "survivors" by Terry Nation ran for 3 series. The first was excellent having been written by Terry. However, series 2 and 3 were not so good as other writers were involved.
...and has already been said, the 1999 series "The last train" was almost identical in concept.
This new series has the potential to be good as they can build on the strengths and eliminate the weaknesses of the original series.

Simon C 25 November 2008 05:29 PM

Now for the honest question.

In that situation would you head for the city or for a farm?? Which would give you better chances of surviving?

I know which 1 I'd head for and it aint the city.

Removed. 25 November 2008 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Simon C (Post 8300161)
Now for the honest question.

In that situation would you head for the city or for a farm?? Which would give you better chances of surviving?

I know which 1 I'd head for and it aint the city.

Both :) live outside a medium sized city, best of bothy worlds. Also as someone else has said on another thread, head for the nearest armory, followed by a large retail distribution centre, tinned/dry goods, large diesel van/ small lorry. start from there, spend as much time as possible foraging, foodstuffs, diesel, batteries, generators.....

speye91 25 November 2008 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunky (Post 8300222)
Both :) live outside a medium sized city, best of bothy worlds. Also as someone else has said on another thread, head for the nearest armory, followed by a large retail distribution centre, tinned/dry goods, large diesel van/ small lorry. start from there, spend as much time as possible foraging, foodstuffs, diesel, batteries, generators.....

Resident Evil.:Suspiciou :Suspiciou ;)

Removed. 25 November 2008 06:05 PM

I forgot to mention JCB, rebar, aggregate, sand, cement to build my underground lair, where I can work on repopulating the planet:norty: A whole new race of grumpy, upside down weeble children :luxhello:

PaulC72 25 November 2008 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by +Doc+ (Post 8299696)
I enjoyed the first episode, slightly silly in places (echo the above about all the survivors meeting) but there is something missing.......flesh eating zombies!!!

I AM LEGEND!!! - includes Zombies!!!!

WE enojyed the first episode the coloured chap {don't know his name but recognise him} had the right idea, stock up get out the city and become self sufficient.

dpb 25 November 2008 07:27 PM

is it any better than that archeology bollox the other week ?

Simon C 25 November 2008 08:48 PM

Don't need to worry about the armoury :lol1:

Fuel will be the thing to hoard though, food stuffs can be grown / stored once grown. All you'f have to do is relearn things that haven't been used since the last war.

Knowing what grows free would be a key skill to have along with being able to do your own butchery (you'd be suprised at the amount of people that couldn't / won't do it)

Simon C 25 November 2008 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by PaulC72 (Post 8300449)

WE enojyed the first episode the coloured chap {don't know his name but recognise him} had the right idea, stock up get out the city and become self sufficient.

That is exactly the right idea. Wasn't he in the archeology naff along with the woman lead?

scunnered 25 November 2008 09:51 PM

I've just noticed the main characters Greg and Abby, are directly taken from the original series. To bring it up to date, the other characters have been changed. I suppose to include Britain's ethnic cultures.

tanyatriangles 25 November 2008 10:06 PM

Seen Abby in a bath and a shower, but not even a glimpse yet, prudish Aunty:nono:

hutton_d 25 November 2008 10:22 PM

Nah. Raid the city then move out to the country. And your list forgets one of the most important items - the contents of the libraries 'Self sufficiency' section. So, as someone mentions above, you know how to do all those things we've forgotten ....... 'cos you will need them!

Dave

scunnered 25 November 2008 10:24 PM

Aye, Julie G. used to be good at taking her clothes off on the telly.

I remember her in Irvine before she was on telly. She used to hang out with an old girlfriend of mine back in the early eighties.

Jye 25 November 2008 11:55 PM

Why are there no dead people lying in the streets?

There should be cars filled with dead people who were trying to flee all over the place.

Everyone seems to have died at home :Whatever_

Removed. 26 November 2008 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 8301205)
Nah. Raid the city then move out to the country. And your list forgets one of the most important items - the contents of the libraries 'Self sufficiency' section. So, as someone mentions above, you know how to do all those things we've forgotten ....... 'cos you will need them!

Dave

I don't want to give away ALL my ideas, as I'll have to compete with the other middle aged fat blokes for all the fit wimmin, so the more of my cunning plan I keep secret, the better.
:)

fatherpierre 26 November 2008 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jye (Post 8301430)
Why are there no dead people lying in the streets?

There should be cars filled with dead people who were trying to flee all over the place.

Everyone seems to have died at home :Whatever_

There should be cars smashed up and piled up everywhere, and wild, poving dogs roaming around too.

LOL.

Jamie 26 November 2008 07:18 AM

You ain't been to bedford lately then :D

OllyK 26 November 2008 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by PaulC72 (Post 8300449)

He's being touted as the front runner to take over as Dr Who I believe.

OllyK 26 November 2008 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre (Post 8301483)
There should be cars smashed up and piled up everywhere, and wild, poving dogs roaming around too.

LOL.

If you feel like ****, do you take to your bed or decide to take the car out for a drive?