ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Need to change my car... but which one? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/727438-need-to-change-my-car-but-which-one.html)

mart360 25 November 2008 12:03 AM

Need to change my car... but which one?

My soot burner has entered its terminal phase, and due to wrecking an alloy & tyre (pothole) is highly unlikely to get through its next mot without a fair old spend... approc 50% of the cars worth..

so i,m looking around for a replacement, and i have the following in mind..

Citroen Xantia TD
Rover 75 TD

both strange choices, but then ive never been one for driving convetional cars

both have there foibles, but both also have some good points.

the Citroen has good suspension and load swallowing capabilities

the rover has a chain driven cam setup, so avoids cam belt changes, and is readily available,

Parts a re still available, just the dealer network isn't there..

Any one had or been exposed to either of the above?

or if it was down to you which one would you choose

Mart

Reffro 25 November 2008 11:33 AM

I had a Xantia a few years ago and loved it. Suspension was fantastic, after I replaced all the spheres, you'll come to learn what the spheres are all about if you own one.

However with the combination of age and what I know about the PSA 1.9td engine (unless you are after a later 2.0hdi), I'd go for the Rover. A much better car overall, plus plenty of spares and places who can handle the servicing.

lozgti 25 November 2008 11:47 AM

In the 80's I was a big Rover fan.Now I look down on anything Rover.

Having said that,I was a back seat passenger in a Rover 75 being ferried on a long trip.It was a nicer ride than an E class merc we travelled in next time we took the same route

(presume they are less than dirt cheap too?)

hutton_d 25 November 2008 12:40 PM

The Citroen Xsara is an underrated car if you're heading down that sort of route ..... Same engines as the rest of the range but little wanted ....

Dave

dpb 25 November 2008 12:55 PM

If i did it again (estate)i think id go for a 124te diesel but probably petrol in the end

- something french would come avery close 2nd tho

Jamescsti 26 November 2008 10:50 AM

The rover 75 uses a BMW 320d engine and is very highly recommended, have a look at
MG - Rover.Org -||- The ultimate site for MG and Rover enthusiasts!

for more info, would definately choose that over a citroed if yo can find a good one at your price.

As for parts there's still loads of Xpart dealers around that supply parts and do servicing for MG/ Rover, it's just peoples lack of knowledge that scares people off buying one.
I'm driving a ZT at the moment which (touch wood) has been the most reliable car i've ever owned and I got it at a bargain price