ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The Day the Earth Stood Still (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/727096-the-day-the-earth-stood-still.html)

bugeyeandy 23 November 2008 05:05 PM

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Apple - Trailers - The Day the Earth Stood Still

Anyone know if this is likely to be any good? I only saw the trailer on Xbox live yesterday and it looks like it could be a good un.
Haven't seen the original either.

Kevin Greeley 24 November 2008 12:00 AM

Yes, I saw that too - looks promising. Original was pretty boring IIRC and filmed in black and white. Got 8.1/10 on IMDB so maybe worth watching again.

Markus 24 November 2008 03:02 AM

I have to say I rather liked the original version. The remake does look interesting, and it does retain the infamous classic line, which is a bonus.

SJ_Skyline 24 November 2008 09:34 AM

Klaatu barada nik..*Cough* *Cough* *Cough*

Army of Darkness? ;)

Geezer 24 November 2008 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Greeley (Post 8296019)
Yes, I saw that too - looks promising. Original was pretty boring IIRC and filmed in black and white. Got 8.1/10 on IMDB so maybe worth watching again.

Are you 11 years old? ;)

The Day the Earth Stood Still is one of the defining Sci-fi movies! By modern standards the effects are rubbish, but being B&W or not full of huge explosions or x thousand CGI shots doesn't necessarily make a film poor. All IMHO of course ;)

I like the look of the new one, but I fear that it will pale compared to the original simply because it will be a SFX bonanza and Keanu Reaves lack lustre acting ability. What happened to good story telling?

Geezer

Gear Head 24 November 2008 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 8296340)
Are you 11 years old? ;)

The Day the Earth Stood Still is one of the defining Sci-fi movies! By modern standards the effects are rubbish, but being B&W or not full of huge explosions or x thousand CGI shots doesn't necessarily make a film poor. All IMHO of course ;)

I like the look of the new one, but I fear that it will pale compared to the original simply because it will be a SFX bonanza and Keanu Reaves lack lustre acting ability. What happened to good story telling?

Geezer

It went out the door with the average joes attention span! :D

Markus 24 November 2008 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 8296313)

Army of Darkness? ;)

Necktie... Neckturn... Nickel... It's an "N" word, it's definitely an "N" word!

myblackwrx 24 November 2008 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 8296313)

Army of Darkness? ;)

Also named some of the Star Wars aliens:)
The original is fantastic as it was a grim warning tale.
FFS the new one has Keanu Reeves in it as Klaatu ,would anyone take anything he said seriously :lol1:

Does it still have Gort in it (end of the cinema trailer it looked like it does)?

Markus 24 November 2008 04:02 PM

From what I've read, yes, Gort does make an appearance, but has a more biological form than a mechanical one, as in the original film.

myblackwrx 24 November 2008 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Markus (Post 8297248)
From what I've read, yes, Gort does make an appearance, but has a more biological form than a mechanical one, as in the original film.

Boooo
Why do they have to piss about with sci fi classics:(

Abdabz 24 November 2008 06:48 PM

It looked laden with ludicrously bad CGI on the advert I saw the other day - like a computer game more than a movie...
Add to that the acting inadequacies of Mr Reeves and it is game over :cry: