ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Exchange Administrator Shortcut (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/72613-exchange-administrator-shortcut.html)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 15 February 2002 12:05 PM

Is there a way of getting it onto a client desktop?

Fed up of coming into the server room to add/change/delete users :rolleyes:

I've tried before but not got anywhere & I can't be ar$ed using PC Anywhere to do it every time ;)

Thanks

:)

(Probably obvious but I've missed it :rolleyes: )

LanCat 15 February 2002 12:13 PM

Grab your Exchange install CD, run setup, choose custom select administrator only. Thats all there is to it. :-)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 15 February 2002 01:06 PM

Thanks

Theres me having "browsed" the CD to look for extra options :rolleyes: Didn't occur to me to "install" exchange server onto a client!!!

Doh!

Thanks m8 :D

How do I do it for IIS 5 then? ;)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 15 February 2002 01:22 PM

Lan

Tried that :rolleyes: Guess it won't install on W98 :rolleyes:

scoobs 15 February 2002 03:02 PM

Puff

Your right, I don't think it will install on 98. However, Why not put vnc on the Exchange server, and then control it from your PC.

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/download.html

At least you won't have to keep walking to the server when ever you nee to admin it.

Scoobs

Avi 15 February 2002 04:26 PM

use dameware nt utilities to remote connect to the server. easy as pie:D

LanCat 15 February 2002 04:26 PM

No it won't work on 98. NT 4 Workstation minimum, Win2K Pro is my preferred choice.

You can load "personal" IIS services on a Win2k Pro box and then use the MMC snapin to manage a remote IIS server. Is your IIS 5 internet or intranet? If you have a firewall in the way you'll need to configure that to allow the data through. Another option is to load terminal services on the IIS 5 server (in administration mode) and use the terminal services client to admin the server.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 15 February 2002 04:41 PM

I'm getting lazy & going from my office to the "server" room is getting a chore ;)

The servers are also going to be relocated to the basement (nice & cool) and I'm b'd if I'm going up & down 3 flights of stairs to change someone's mail options :eek:

Easiest option is a nice new W2K Pro w/station for me :D :D :D

:)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 15 February 2002 04:43 PM

What's this terminal services then?

russell hayward 15 February 2002 05:16 PM

VNC viewer works a treat.

SecretAgentMan 15 February 2002 05:41 PM

I agree on the VNC bit, great tool. :) And it's free. :D

/J

LanCat 15 February 2002 10:16 PM

On your Win2k server you can install Terminal services. Go to add/remove programs, windows components and you'll see near the bottom Terminal services. Select it and install. When installing choose administration mode. It also installs (if you choose) the client files. Put those client files on your workstation (any Windows flavour). You can then connect to the server console and admin it as though you were there. It's a Citrix type service. If you have Win2K server it's free for admin mode.

ChrisB 15 February 2002 10:30 PM

TS is very good but the downside is you can't see the server console as you can with VNC / PCNoWhere / NetSupport etc.

Mr Footlong 16 February 2002 09:56 AM

Which part of 'Remote Control Software' didn't you understand????;););)

I remote into our work servers on a daily basis and all of our clients too. Sod all that getting up malarkey:D:D

Cheers,

Nick :)

ozzy 16 February 2002 02:32 PM

Puff,

Don't f@ny around with TS just to run the management utils. As suggested get the VNC utils and use them to remote into the server console. I can even remote into the works LAN from home using it - it's the dog's danglies. Only pain in the @rse is not being able to do a file transfer, but that's small annoyance.

How did you get on with that Outlook problem?

Stefan

WillieF 16 February 2002 02:51 PM

Hey Puff working on your fooked exchange dbases today for you. Sorry about the delay...

VNC rules especially the webclient. Access your servers from home and the only piece of software you need is a web browser... :)

Willie

DaveU 16 February 2002 03:17 PM

dunno what VNC stands for good ol' NetMeeting is pretty good for remote control/file transfer and it's free :)