ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Outlook on desktop and laptop, is it possible? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/725889-outlook-on-desktop-and-laptop-is-it-possible.html)

Account deleted by request 18 November 2008 03:55 PM

Outlook on desktop and laptop, is it possible?

Hi all,

I have a desktop in my office, dont generally like laptops as always find them slow, unreliable and expensive to repair.

However, i'm working away a lot and am thinking of getting a small laptop just to access emails (have a blackberry but they are no good with attachments etc), is it possible to run outlook on both machines to pick my emails up or switch over which machine is active and recieving my mail?

I'm sure i'm not the first person who wants to do this :confused:

Chop :)

Markus 18 November 2008 04:20 PM

I could be wrong, but IMAP might be able to help here. From my limited knowledge, the way it works is that the mailbox stays on the server, the client is then essentially just accessing the mailbox on the server, thus no matter what device you use to access your mail, you will always have complete access to all of the messages in the mailbox.

Account deleted by request 18 November 2008 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Markus (Post 8281058)
I could be wrong, but IMAP might be able to help here. From my limited knowledge, the way it works is that the mailbox stays on the server, the client is then essentially just accessing the mailbox on the server, thus no matter what device you use to access your mail, you will always have complete access to all of the messages in the mailbox.

Thanks for reply Markus

I'll have a look at IMAP now.

chop :)

SwissTony 18 November 2008 04:26 PM

Markus is spot on as long as the outlook is picking up from a pop/imap account e.g a gmail account etc

if it is a company one (thus exchange), then you would need to set up offline folders and a local copy of the account so you can access it both laptop and desktop

RichB 18 November 2008 11:48 PM

With POP3, You can tell both to leave messages on the server for a few days, this way both computers will have a chance to collect any incoming email, deleting from one wont delete it from the server though by default (although there is a setting)
This method wont work for outgoing though. For that you need to set up your mail accounts as IMAP.

Kieran_Burns 19 November 2008 11:41 AM

Chopper ask if your company uses Outlook Web Access (OWA) or Outlook Mobile Access (OMA).

If it does, there will be some simple steps you can use to configure your Outlook client on a lappy or a PDA to retrieve mail.

I've set this up for customers and it is easy to do, and a great boon for mobile working.

GaryK 20 November 2008 12:46 PM

IMAP is the easiest route (once its setup and if your server supports it)