ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Driving in the wet (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/724965-driving-in-the-wet.html)

Matty_Boy 14 November 2008 02:54 PM

Driving in the wet

Hi people,

Its been raining a lot recently and where i work on the way home i go down a nice twisty b road which you can go down pretty quick in the dry, but being new to scooby ownership im not sure how much i should push it in the wet? ive heard some people say you can drive it the same in the wet as if it was dry, is this true? last night on the way home i was doing about 60 down it round the bends but not sure how far to push it, ive just got some new falken fk452's so hopefully grip should be ok. I have an sti type r by the way

fivetide 14 November 2008 02:58 PM

Grip depends on so many things. If it is dark and wet for example you won't see oil on the road.

You should be able to feel a slide coming on, especially on a roundabout but to be honest why push it? You were doing the speed limit in dodgy conditions so therefore faster than the road safety planners felt necessary! Enjoy it sunny side up chap :thumb:

5t.

SC008Y_MAD 14 November 2008 02:59 PM

It really depends on how good a driver you are, how the car is set-up and the road surface all makes a difference.

I drive a little more cautious in the wet than in the dry. I would rather be safe than sorry.

classic Subaru Si 14 November 2008 03:06 PM

If you need to ask, then I wouldn't bother pushing it in the wet mate - Lift off at the wrong time and your gonna be sorry!

T1000 14 November 2008 03:08 PM

I agree with Scoo8y mad. In my experience with the Impreza it's the grippiest car I've owned in the wet (having owned fwd and rwd cars before). I never really notice it breaking traction in the wet so I don't worry about it sliding like I do with my other car (Rover 200).

I even found that when driving in the snow recently it was far grippier than any other car I've owned, but watch out if you allow the turbo to kick in as it WILL break traction then.

Matty_Boy 14 November 2008 03:08 PM

Well hence why im asking now, i was cautious being new to it and it being wet as im still learning the car, round abouts im def slow on! but just wondered on b roads.

NXG 14 November 2008 03:13 PM

Sorry? Lift off half way through the bend for anything other than understeer correction and you'll be history. Scoobies don't react well to mid-bend liftoff, or rather they do, but because of the chassis you can go quicker in the first place, so anything going pear-shaped will be a little more dramatic.

Easy thing to remember, expecially on the lanes; drive to the conditions!! Can you see round the next bend? Can you stop if there's a broken down car after that bend and someone coming the other way?

Enjoy the extra capabilities of the car, but save the hero to zero banzai driving for the track where you can laugh about ending up in the kitty litter with your mates inthe pub later that day, not wondering how you're going to pay for your busted up car or explain things to someone's next of kin!

p060064h 14 November 2008 03:18 PM

Now I love to drive well over the speed limit. Going fast is fun that's why I got a fast car. But I drive like my granddad In the wet it just aint worth it.
looking 4wad to all the abuse of blokes saying I'm stupid for driving fast, do your self a favor and tell some 1 who gives a rats ass.

Love you xxx

STiFreak 14 November 2008 03:23 PM

The grip in the wet is way better than most cars, but I would still advise caution until you get used to the level of traction available. Be very careful when temps start to get closer to zero, as your tyres are not winter tyres and grip can be much worse and you can loose traction suddenly.

p060064h 14 November 2008 03:24 PM

explain things to someone's next of kin![/QUOTE]

That's what the police are paid for ?

WRX_Dazza 14 November 2008 03:29 PM

who ever told you that you can go as fast in the wet as in the dry obviously doesn't have a clue.
sheer common sense can tell you that :)

as above, not worth risking it to find out. take it to a driver training day or a track and experiment. (its the safest place)

i also drive like a grandad in the wet, with 300+bhp and no abs, im not risking it :)

enjoy the car !!!

p060064h 14 November 2008 03:43 PM

i also drive like a grandad in the wet, with 300+bhp and no abs, im not risking it :)

Think im going to have to take it easy in the dry when i get mine back, dropped it off and said i dont want it back till its got over 600bhp :norty:

scoobynewbie72 14 November 2008 03:44 PM

Why not get a trackday booked, you can get a feel for the handling and its limits in safety.

classic Subaru Si 14 November 2008 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by p060064h (Post 8270470)
explain things to someone's next of kin!

That's what the police are paid for ?[/QUOTE]

:Whatever_

NXG 14 November 2008 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by p060064h (Post 8270459)
Now I love to drive well over the speed limit. Going fast is fun that's why I got a fast car. But I drive like my granddad In the wet it just aint worth it.
looking 4wad to all the abuse of blokes saying I'm stupid for driving fast, do your self a favor and tell some 1 who gives a rats ass.

Love you xxx

Glad you live in Exeter and not near me. RIP mate :luxhello:

SwissTony 14 November 2008 03:52 PM

you can as fast as your talent allows you

p060064h 14 November 2008 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by NXG (Post 8270533)

i reckon i could get to you in about 30mins :lol1:

p060064h 14 November 2008 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 8270544)
you can as fast as your talent allows you

not true i drive like old people fcuk but i drive pretty fast :)

Gear Head 14 November 2008 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by p060064h (Post 8270552)
not true i drive like old people fcuk but i drive pretty fast :)

To be honest mate, you're not helping yourself. :rolleyes:

As for driving as fast in the wet as in the dry.... come on!
Did you honestly believe that? Can you drive as fast in the snow? :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter what the conditions are, driving is all about anticipation and 'feel'. Once you start relying on the car, you'll be history.

p060064h 14 November 2008 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100 (Post 8270705)
To be honest mate, you're not helping yourself. :rolleyes:

As for driving as fast in the wet as in the dry.... come on!
Did you honestly believe that? Can you drive as fast in the snow? :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter what the conditions are, driving is all about anticipation and 'feel'. Once you start relying on the car, you'll be history.

And why would i want to help my self there is nothing wrong will me :freak3:

GlesgaKiss 14 November 2008 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si (Post 8270432)
If you need to ask, then I wouldn't bother pushing it in the wet mate - Lift off at the wrong time and your gonna be sorry!

I agree with him!

Of course you can't drive it the same in the wet as you can in the dry. You should be driving it by feel if you're driving a road quickly. There's no set way of doing anything. So if you can't get a feel for the car in the wet just now, don't push it. :)

lunar tick 14 November 2008 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by NXG (Post 8270533)

What he said /\ /\ :thumb:

I'm glad I live even further away from this guy than NXG!

p060064h 14 November 2008 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by lunar tick (Post 8270839)
What he said /\ /\ :thumb:

I'm glad I live even further away from this guy than NXG!

i cant afford insurance either i would rather spent the cash on more power :razz:

STi_Si 14 November 2008 06:01 PM

Troll...

p060064h 14 November 2008 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by STi_Si (Post 8270968)
Troll...

Just the reaction i was hopping for :lol1:

Hook line & sinker :thumb:

fivetide 14 November 2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by p060064h (Post 8270996)
Just the reaction i was hopping for :lol1:

Hook line & sinker :thumb:

Most childish. You are not covering yourself in glory here. You are liberally smearing yourself with something but it isn't glory...

5t.

p060064h 14 November 2008 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by fivetide (Post 8271033)
Most childish. You are not covering yourself in glory here. You are liberally smearing yourself with something but it isn't glory...

5t.

Thats ok cause im only 14.
Im smearing my self in man gue as i type :smug:

AshMurc 14 November 2008 06:49 PM

p060064h can say whatever he likes, don't agree with it, and wouldn't be happy if he ran into my car, but at the end of the day... *shruggs* whatever!

Hell no you can't drive it the same in the wet and dry!!! with the few basic but effect mods i did it has huuuuge dry grip where you really can just chuck it in, no way i can treat it the same in the wet!! :L once you get a bit of temperature in the tyres it does get better, but those guys talkin about driving by feel are totally and utterly spot on. thats what its all about

Ash

Moley 14 November 2008 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by p060064h (Post 8271049)
Thats ok cause im only 14.
Im smearing my self in man gue as i type :smug:

:sleep:

SmileyScooby 14 November 2008 08:46 PM

These threads are getting messy. How did it end up being a slagging match?

To the original post:

As people have said....rain is not gonna help grip! Yes, Scoobs are better but as my g/f tells me...'They are not invincible!!'
:eek2:
Gonna take it easy in the wet!