ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   K&N panel filter, what a difference. (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/724916-k-and-n-panel-filter-what-a-difference.html)

rickya 14 November 2008 09:52 AM

K&N panel filter, what a difference.

Yesterday I dropped in a K&N panel filter into my Hawkeye Spec C.....wow.....
very very surprised at how much godam difference the thing has made! I was a bit sceptical & was'nt really expecting much apart from maybe a smoother drive in low gears as Iv had before from other cars.

-In neutral the car idles smoother especially in this cold weather
-It seems to go faster in reverse with little acceleration!! :wonder:
-Its a lot smoother in 1st & 2nd gear especially when in slow traffic or on downshifts
-The turbo spools up slightly quicker & slightly harder & it doesnt seem to run out of puff as early as before, I can hold it in gear slightly longer before the need to change up
-Though it has created a slight whistling induction noise when you put your foot down. But if you accelerate hard in 1st or 2nd the overall engine note has taken on a bit of a louder, rougher tone....which I like :cool:

I can also quite easily imagine it producing approx 10bhp as shown by Shaun research in his Spec C project findings. Its the best £45 Iv spent on the Spec C yet!! Some may not agree as this is all from my opinion & not factual evidence. But believe me Im not one to get roped into marketing schpiel & am quite a cynic when it comes to so called must do mods. i.e. I dont think my spec c needs; coilovers; big fancy brakes/calipers; ALK or front ARB!!!!!! :p :rolleyes: :D

n one 14 November 2008 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by rickya (Post 8269643)
-It seems to go faster in reverse with little acceleration!! :wonder:

Well that bit made me laugh :lol1:

I was looking for a new K&N but the price is a bit steep :)

Glad you like it though :thumb:

rickya 14 November 2008 10:28 AM

Im sure if they did qtr mile runs for Reverse, Id be in the low 12's now with my K&N!!

rickya 14 November 2008 10:31 AM

n one: IIRC the std panel filter is approx £20, so if your gona keep your car a couple of years, the £45 K&N will cost pretty much the same as two disposable std ones that you would have used. In the third year your quids in!!!

ps I was an accountant :D

Mikkel 14 November 2008 11:31 AM

Ah the old placebo filter :lol1:

I have an STi panel filter in my car now. Makes me feel better and looks good!

rickya 14 November 2008 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mikkel (Post 8269867)
Ah the old placebo filter :lol1:

I have an STi panel filter in my car now. Makes me feel better and looks good!

Have you tried reverse gear with vigour, makes you feel even better :smug:

Shaun 14 November 2008 01:51 PM

Rickya,
I told they make a positive difference to the SPEC C! ;)

As regards to marketing crap..... that is EXACTLY the reason why the project threads were created. To guve true facts based on real testing..... if something did not work, I said so! :)

Now.... get the whiteline handling kit and geometry done. If you don't notice a big difference, I will give you a £1k!! ;)