ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   So who has paid their student loan off?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/723271-so-who-has-paid-their-student-loan-off.html)

djmisio85 07 November 2008 08:19 AM

So who has paid their student loan off??

Of those who have taken a student loan (or any big loan for that matter of fact) Have you paid it off yet?

I just paid a whopping 9500pounds into my uk account, to get part of my load paid off. The Japanese yen is currently very strong against the pound, so I thought id play the "exchange market game for the first tim" and jump at an oppurtunity..... hopefully the yen doesnt get too much stonger anytime soon :lol1:
(not at least until I get my next few pay cheques to get the rest of the loan paid off lol)

Last year, my yen would only have been worth 6,300pounds, so whatever, its like a free 3500 pounds :luxhello:

djmisio85 07 November 2008 08:21 AM

I obviously had to click no, as the first vote, as I still have a third of my loan to pay off lol :brickwall

hutton_d 07 November 2008 08:46 AM

Can't vote on this one as when I went to Uni I got a grant .....

Dave

Matteeboy 07 November 2008 09:20 AM

Deferred it for ages, the rate went up, paid it off in full.

OllyK 07 November 2008 09:32 AM

I was at Uni when the loans first came out, paid it off in full with my first pay packet.

Steve_PPP 07 November 2008 09:33 AM

I'm not voting for either option. I'm not a free man, but i'm not being lazy either :p

I'm paying it off at about £100 per month from my salary - thats taken out of my pay packet automatically. I think i've got about 10k left to pay still though :(

Graz 07 November 2008 10:03 AM

Yes, years ago, but then I did leave Uni in 1994 :eek:

s1lko 07 November 2008 10:04 AM

Can't vote either way, still paying it. Only around £3500 to go...

Simon C 07 November 2008 11:25 AM

3k to go on mine.

fivetide 07 November 2008 11:36 AM

Finished mine this year. wOOt!

5t.

Ray_li 07 November 2008 01:51 PM

dont pay your student loan via inland revenue (deductions from your salary) because the IR sits on it for 12 months whilst you're paying interst on your loan to the loan company then pays the loan company after they benefit 12 months of your interest

Robbie200 07 November 2008 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ray_li (Post 8251478)
dont pay your student loan via inland revenue (deductions from your salary) because the IR sits on it for 12 months whilst you're paying interst on your loan to the loan company then pays the loan company after they benefit 12 months of your interest

What's the alternative Ray? I thought paying it via the IR was the way everybody did it.

I've never had a student loan but my girlfriend is currently paying hers off via the Inland Revenue.

Leslie 07 November 2008 03:32 PM

It is all wrong that you have to pay it off anyway.

Les

Simon C 07 November 2008 04:01 PM

Think it depends on when the loan is from. Cos I have to deal with the shower that are Honours Student Loans via DD.

Speech 07 November 2008 04:01 PM

Paid mine off four months ago, but HMRC still haven't been able to stop taking payments, despite numerous requests from myself and the SLC (Student Loans Company).:brickwall

Still, should result in a nice little "bonus" come next April from the taxman!!:lol1:

rossyboy 07 November 2008 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 8251688)
It is all wrong that you have to pay it off anyway.

Les

Not so sure about that. Mine were used to pay my car insurance for 3 years in a row. Not sure I could justify getting that for free off the taxpayer! :)

ScoobyDoo555 07 November 2008 07:42 PM

yeh - you have to pay through the IR :mad:

Try getting any "overpayments" back :rolleyes:

Fookin nightmare so I'm told (work in Education so I get to hear alot of complaints!!!)

dan

harry007 07 November 2008 08:20 PM

Dont you have to start paying it..if you only earn more than £15k anually?

djmisio85 07 November 2008 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by harry007 (Post 8252345)

I think so, alos heard that if you havnt paid it off by the time you are 60, then they cancel it lol... But they would probably send so many reminders etc... would be a waste of paper:lol1:

Due to exchange rate my salary flew up obviously, so I just want to get my silly loan paid off as soon as possible!!!:smug:

Lisawrx 07 November 2008 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by harry007 (Post 8252345)

That is how mine works, not sure if some are different depending on when the loan was taken out though.

Unfortunately my wage is still rubbish, so it's rare I make a payment. Hopefully that will change at some point.

Yes Les, It can be a shame that this is a debt that needs to be paid off, but such is life. Especially considering alot of people who I went to Uni with, had to use a fair chunk of the loan, just to pay their fees.

Suresh 08 November 2008 12:08 AM

I didn't go to university until I was in my early 30s to do a full-time MBA. I financed it myself without any need for debt. If university gives you a leg up and increased earnings over the longer-term, then paying for it yourself is only fair IMHO :)

Flaps 08 November 2008 12:15 AM

Work's paying mine off, it was an incentive to go into teaching :smug:

Nat 08 November 2008 12:34 AM

Nothing to stop you getting loans all through Uni, then doing a masters, PHD etc....then moving abroad and never paying any of it back.

Plenty of people do this, takes the piss really!

harry007 08 November 2008 12:37 AM

or...if the £15k rule really applies...if you become self employed...get the accountant to show anuall figures of £14,999 LOL!!!

the_msp 08 November 2008 12:52 AM

Did an apprenticeship, all course fees paid as well as petrol money (enough that I don't have to fill my car during "term time") and paid whilst studying :thumb:

djmisio85 08 November 2008 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nat21 (Post 8252923)
Nothing to stop you getting loans all through Uni, then doing a masters, PHD etc....then moving abroad and never paying any of it back.

Plenty of people do this, takes the piss really!

Lol, moving to Japan, I guess part of me thought that I could postpone paying my loan, but my salary's pretty good here, so Im just paying it off as soon as possible, whether I need to or not :thumb:

logiclee 08 November 2008 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by the_msp (Post 8252955)
Did an apprenticeship, all course fees paid as well as petrol money (enough that I don't have to fill my car during "term time") and paid whilst studying :thumb:

Same here, did 6 years further education all paid for by my employer and they paid me my full salary for going. :)

Cheers
Lee

samcowrx 08 November 2008 09:55 AM

200 quid left of mine to pay