ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Security (https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/)
-   -   trackers (https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/723007-trackers.html)

Mus 05 November 2008 07:29 PM

trackers

if my car was stolen how long will it take before i get it located, i read on one of the threads that some cars cant be found even if a tracker has been installed. is that true and is all trackers the same in the sense they all work the same? if there diffrent what would be the best tracker to go for??

Car Security Expert 05 November 2008 10:23 PM

Not all trackers are based on the same technology. Tracker systems use a radio based system to communicate with their boxes where as everyone else uses the GSM mobile phone network. Tracker also rely on the Police to track the vehicle where as all the others track the vehicle at their respective control centres. The advantage of using a GSM based system is that the box can be contacted directly and it's location extracted straight away. This isn't possible with the radio based system. At the moment, the major players in the market are:

Tracker
Trackstar
CobraTrak
Smartrack.

Basic Rundown of each....

Tracker.
Unit is fixed, It cannot be removed and refitted should you buy a new vehicle.
Radio based communication which relies on the unit being in range of a receiver for a location to be acquired.
Vehicle is tracked by an equipped police vehicle.(downside: as long as one is available)

CobraTrak?Trackstar (now the same company)
GPS/GSM based system
Transferable should you buy a new vehicle
Vehicle is tracked in house. Location is relayed to police from there.

Smartrack
GPS/GSM based system
Transferable should you buy a new vehicle
Vehicle is tracked in house. Location is relayed to police from there.

All these systems are approved by the UK's insurance industry.

Which one should you go for?

Being a retailer I should point you in the direction of the most expensive system :). But, to be totally honest, the system that I get the most positive feedback about is the Smartrack system. I have had a couple of customers who have had cars stolen and returned thanks to Smartrack. When I spoke to them about their experiences with the recovery process, they both said they couldn't be happier. So much so that they fitted Smartrack into other vehicles in the households. Going by their experiences... if i were needing a tracking system... I would probably go for one of these.

Hope this helps.....

Spec'c'57 06 November 2008 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Car Security Expert (Post 8248007)

Which one should you go for?

Being a retailer I should point you in the direction of the most expensive system :). But, to be totally honest, the system that I get the most positive feedback about is the Smartrack system. I have had a couple of customers who have had cars stolen and returned thanks to Smartrack. When I spoke to them about their experiences with the recovery process, they both said they couldn't be happier. So much so that they fitted Smartrack into other vehicles in the households. Going by their experiences... if i were needing a tracking system... I would probably go for one of these.

Hope this helps.....

:thumb: great advise there. Looks like a smartrack on order for wifey's scoob.

Guv 06 November 2008 06:44 PM

How much should I expect to pay for a Smart track System?

Jam Performance 06 November 2008 06:58 PM

SmarTrack Protector+ Fully installed. , Tracking Systems.( All Vehicle Types) , Drivemania UK

Car Security Expert 07 November 2008 12:27 AM

Between £299 and £349 is the going rate for them.

If your looking to have one fitted then get in touch with Smartrack and they will give you numbers for approved installers in your area. There are a few unscrupulous dealers out there who would love to take your money but the quality of their work leaves alot to be desired. Cheapest isn't always best.

If you value your vehicle and want to be sure the job is done to the proper standards... only use authorised dealers.

Mus 07 November 2008 12:55 PM

do i have to pay yearly charge and thanks for the info

Mus 07 November 2008 12:57 PM

is there any special offers for trackers and cat 1 alarms together anywhere

Car Security Expert 07 November 2008 07:34 PM

Subscriptions are pretty level across all the manufacturers.

£120-125 per year or £325 ish for a lifetime subscription.

Package deals are dependant on the retailer. Many do offer package deals.