ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   has a v6 sti got forged pistons? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/722814-has-a-v6-sti-got-forged-pistons.html)

rentonone 04 November 2008 07:27 PM

has a v6 sti got forged pistons?

I just want to clear this up, a friend told me his new sti6 has not got these as standard but i thought all sti,s were forged. also while we're on the subject could someone explain what the changes were through the years with the sti's (engine wise). or is there a specification site i could go on to.

Cheers James

172sport 04 November 2008 07:55 PM

Yes they do.

rentonone 05 November 2008 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by 172sport (Post 8245157)
Yes they do.

Thanks i thought so.

Ciaran 05 November 2008 01:23 AM

U sure??

Pretty sure V7 was the first with forged pistons from the factory

Badbird 05 November 2008 07:34 AM

well all the v2 and v3 STI's that i have stripped have forged pistons so v7 cant be the first

merlin24 05 November 2008 07:39 PM

As above - they are fitted with HF forged pistons from the factory.

Mick

joz8968 07 November 2008 08:40 PM

I think this is one for APIDavid to put us right on TBH.

I thought that forged pistons for STi Classics were offered as a cost OPTION when the car was ordered new from the factory? I'm sure I read that from a reputable source :wonder:. So, if that was the case, then most STi's will probably have them... but not necessarily ALL :wonder:

I'm sure if you ask David, then he'll proffer that Subaru's 'forged' pistons aren't really worthy of the name i.e. not all that good, in any case. :confused: :(

David?! Where are you when we need you? :lol1:

tath 07 November 2008 09:33 PM

it's the other way round iirc, the 7 onwards has hypereutectic?

psigeek 07 November 2008 10:11 PM

V7 was the last one with forged pistons. Blob onwards for hypereutectic.

tath 07 November 2008 10:22 PM

blob is v7 :wonder:

172sport 07 November 2008 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by tath (Post 8252648)
blob is v7 :wonder:

Bug

tath 07 November 2008 10:27 PM

:gets coat:

psigeek 07 November 2008 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by tath (Post 8252660)
:gets coat:

:lol1:

Yup V7 Bugeye STi - last with forged pistons and very good strong block as standard
V8 Blobeye STi - hypereutectic pistons

tath 08 November 2008 12:22 AM

It's Friday night, I have a 6hr stupidity licence.

psigeek 08 November 2008 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by tath (Post 8252890)
It's Friday night, I have a 6hr stupidity licence.

That made me laugh. Hey at least you're honest. There are those on here who would have backtracked or fought their case all the way.

tath 08 November 2008 11:38 AM

I have no problem admitting my retardedness, it's just something i have to live with unfortunately.

vaguely back on topic, there is probably the usual mix an' match of parts present, so I wouldn't guess at a clear cutoff. Someone who strips a lot like David at API could probably tell us better.

Interested in an above posters comments about the quality of OE forged pistons though - anymore gen?

APIDavid 08 November 2008 12:41 PM

Right you lot - pin your ears back:lol1:

STi limited editions from 1994 quite often have Subaru brand forged pistons fitted. This may be where the " option " tag has come from, but it may also be that they originally had forged, but have had a rebuild at sometime/ somewhere and the wrong pistons were fitted then. It is a bit too far back in time to be definite about that.:wonder:

Sti vers 2 RA has the Subaru produced forged pistons fitted as standard MOST Vers 2 RA have have Closed deck block [ let's not go there for the minute ]

Then all STI and STi RA up to Vers 7 [ Bug eye ] have Subaru Forged pistons as standard.

Blob eye & Hawkeye [ & EJ257 ] have hyperEutectic [ usually spelt bullsh*t ] pistons fitted - which are an extremely good product for a manufacturer to use - but totally crap for any sort of performance engine.

The Subaru forged type look similar to a cast piston in shape and design and do not at all look like the billet types that you get from: Cosworth, Omega, Mahle CP, Ross, Wiseco, Wossner, Jun [ cosworth] et al.

Cleared that up then ? ;)

David APi

Agents for:
Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Scoobysportexhausts
Eibach suspension
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches
And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com

01926 614333

APIDavid 08 November 2008 12:56 PM

Just one more point. Sti 3/4/5/6/7 Forged Subaru brand pistons are OK up to circa 400 hp depending upon their mileage.

I would have no hesitation in leaving them in [ assuming good condition generally ] for a 400 hp conversion.

David

jd5217 08 November 2008 01:08 PM

others on here have stated that the ver8 engine had forged aswell.

Ste RB5138 08 November 2008 02:30 PM

Good thread! You learn something new everyday :)

M535I 08 November 2008 02:59 PM

so my sti ra v2 engine is a cdb and has factory forged pistons then lol

scooby46 08 November 2008 04:28 PM

i have a v2 sti. From what your saying this has forged pistons? Im going for 380bhp using bolt on bits. Will the internals handle this on an sti v2? I thought the gearbox was the weekpoint. Soz to hijack thread. :norty:

psigeek 08 November 2008 04:59 PM

Thanks David :thumb:

tath 09 November 2008 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by scooby46 (Post 8253829)
i have a v2 sti. From what your saying this has forged pistons? Im going for 380bhp using bolt on bits. Will the internals handle this on an sti v2? I thought the gearbox was the weekpoint. Soz to hijack thread. :norty:

Should do, but or at least would do on a new one. Impossible to say how much abuse a 100k engine will take obviously.

I'd guess at your gearbox popping before your engine.

joz8968 09 November 2008 12:30 PM

I told you that David would come up with the goods, didn't I?! :lol1: :D

rentonone 09 November 2008 01:30 PM

Lol, i thoght i had opened up a new can of worms then. :lol1:

Thanks for the info.

James:thumb:

APIDavid 11 November 2008 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by jd5217 (Post 8253513)
others on here have stated that the ver8 engine had forged aswell.

Version 8 are hyper-eutectic. repeat after me........

APIDavid 11 November 2008 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by scooby46 (Post 8253829)

Vers 2 RA forged pistons are big ugly old mothers. I don't think I'd like to run them at that power level.

The vers 3 STi on are more modern design pistons and do a good job.

I'd be wary of upping the power too far on something of outdated design and old fashioned manufacture.

Update I reckon.

David APi

joz8968 11 November 2008 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 8261107)
...hyper-eutectic...

What on earth does this mean? :wonder: (Sounds like poor Mr Piston has some kind of anxiety disorder :D)

APIDavid 11 November 2008 11:23 AM

It's one of those words that companies use to make something sound good like they do with womens cosmetics. You know, ' It has hyaluronic betones' OR ' co-ordinated enzymes' That sort of crap - that makes you feel good, but is no better than anything else.

The pistons run NO clearance. If you measure the new bore and the new piston with the sort of equipment that we have in the aftermarket they are exactly the same size.

Dropping names; I had a conversation with Matt Clark when they first came out; relating to ' what do reckon to this ' and we had no firm idea except - that it worked, but shouldn't .

But also that they looked just like the cast pistons from a WRX and therefore couldn't really be trusted as a high performance piston.

It seems that the alloy for the piston has been created to expand at exactly the same rate as the block - so that there is no need for a clearance at first build and therefore should last longer because the surfaces will start off from a lower point, than an engine with a 1 thou clearance.

IN OUR OPINION - Don't ask any more about the damn things I don't really know, :lol: I just work here........

David