ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Plastic under Engine Panel (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/721729-plastic-under-engine-panel.html)

HUSNAIN 29 October 2008 11:45 PM

Plastic under Engine Panel

Thought I'd do the oil change myself and removing that plastic under engine panel was a PITA. Just can't be bothered to put this back.
Does anyone thing there might be any issues, my blob is standard ride height.

older cars never used to have these sorts of panels...

stiscooby 30 October 2008 12:30 AM

My car doesn't have one, well not any more. It use to but was removed by the previous owner to bring the oil temps down a little during the hotter days of the summer.

Never put one back on so can't see it causing you any problems. My car is lowered but not by silly amounts so don't have any problems.

Oskar 30 October 2008 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by HUSNAIN (Post 8232434)

My MY00 classic had a platic "sump guard" and some smaller guard for the transmission, ive removed both though, and it makes some difference to the oil tempature when driving.

his-n-her-scoobs 30 October 2008 06:07 AM

Had 4 uk scoobs, 1 pre facelift, 2 facelift and 1 blob.

All had the undertray and transmission cover apart from the earliest car.

These undertrays are not a cheap component, fitting them either increases the price of the car or cuts into their profits. Subaru must have fit them for a reason. Anyone know the reason?

chrisUK300 30 October 2008 02:02 PM

Im sure someone mentioned on here (David from API??) that removing it upsets the airflow under the bonnet and under the car. Pretty sure he recommended it not to be removed

chrisUK300 30 October 2008 02:06 PM

was in this thread
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...nder-tray.html

stevenhiggster 30 October 2008 02:24 PM

I don't have one and it doesn't cause any issues. :)

[-(o)-] 30 October 2008 02:40 PM

I tried removing mine on holiday in France this year as I was worried the engine was getting too hot. I'm convinced it ran (and smelt :Suspiciou ) hotter without it, so put it back the next day.

The scooby engine relies on air being drawn out the back from underneath, and would guess that removing the undershield messes up any venturi effect or creates a stagnant condition in the engine bay.

I'd leave it on.

APIDavid 30 October 2008 06:03 PM

[quote='[-(o)-];8233432']I tried removing mine on holiday in France this year as I was worried the engine was getting too hot. I'm convinced it ran (and smelt :Suspiciou ) hotter without it, so put it back the next day.

The scooby engine relies on air being drawn out the back from underneath, and would guess that removing the undershield messes up any venturi effect or creates a stagnant condition in the engine bay.

I'd leave it on.[/quote]

Hear Hear for the common sense crowd:luxhello:

lianneWRX 30 October 2008 06:07 PM

They are a pain in the arse to get on and off but i have always left mine on!

PeeVee 30 October 2008 06:28 PM

One more vote to leave it in place.

Subaru didn't design & fit an undertray because they were bored and flush with cash.

Just because YOU don't notice a difference does not mean that it has not had a detrimental effect on the car. :Suspiciou

HUSNAIN 04 November 2008 09:22 PM

> It helps protect the engine bay from debris and stuff on the road
> It's supposed to improve aerodynamics/air flow under the car
> Keeping it helps cool the engine

or,

> It's a ploy just like other manufacturers to make DIY servicing more and more difficult, so over the years cars are getting more plastic covers
> Removing it helps cool the engine
> aerodynamics under the car only come in to play if you were driving F1 speeds

Based on some of your discussions, I'm leaning towards putting the under tray back on then..... (oh well better figure out where I placed those damn bolts & clips!).

JohnD 05 November 2008 10:42 AM

4 bolts, 2 clips, 4 push-in trim thingies! - If you've enough knowledge to do a proper oil/filter change, surely replacing the undertray is not such a major challenge? Just check that the 2 "hooks" on the front of the tray go over the front crossmember.

JohnD

martwrxsl 05 November 2008 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by HUSNAIN (Post 8232434)
Thought I'd do the oil change myself and removing that plastic under engine panel was a PITA. Just can't be bothered to put this back.
Does anyone thing there might be any issues, my blob is standard ride height.

There a small flap for the oil on my blob splash guard. :wonder:

Speech 05 November 2008 05:28 PM

Yep, was away to say that on my blob there's a small hatch that swivels out the way to allow access to the oil filter. :wonder:

But as already been mentioned, it's not exactly a mammoth task to take off and put back on, have done it plenty times myself and never once thought it was as much of a PITA as it's being made out to be.

JonMc 05 November 2008 09:04 PM

Did UK bugeye WRXs have these on - only askking because my car doesn't, it has one for the gearbox but not the engine, never has since I bought it!

scooby(puppy power) 05 November 2008 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 8247798)
Did UK bugeye WRXs have these on - only askking because my car doesn't, it has one for the gearbox but not the engine, never has since I bought it!

my bugeye wrx has one 5 bolts and six plastic clips to take it off wouldn't fancy doing an oil change with it on i spilt enough with it off and a oil drain tray :lol1: