ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Girls Aloud - The Promise. Is it a cover? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/721645-girls-aloud-the-promise-is-it-a-cover.html)

skoobidude 29 October 2008 06:33 PM

Girls Aloud - The Promise. Is it a cover?

Is the new single from Girls Aloud a cover version of an old song? I'm sure I've heard it before somewhere.. :wonder:
Anyone know?

Nick

itr786 29 October 2008 06:46 PM

have they ever made a sond that isn't a cover! :wonder:

least talented bunch of so-called singers ever.

TelBoy 29 October 2008 08:27 PM

Apparently not...

The Promise (Girls Aloud song - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

TelBoy 29 October 2008 08:29 PM

That link doesn't work? Here's the text anyway....

[edit] Release and reception
"The Promise" premièred on Switch on BBC Radio 1 on 14 September 2008,[4] and has been described by the band's website as a "stormer of a track".[2] Originally scheduled for release on 27 October 2008,[2] the release was inexplicably brought forward a week.[3] Girls Aloud performed "The Promise" on Jo Whiley's Live Lounge, as well as a cover of Timbaland and OneRepublic's "Apologize".[5] Nadine Coyle was not present, as she was ill with shingles.[6] "The Promise" was also remixed by Dave Audé and Jason Nevins. The album version of "The Promise" is around fifteen seconds longer.[1]

The song is notable for its 1960s influence.[7] "The Promise" has been called "a 60s-influenced pop gem given a contemporary Girls Aloud twist",[8] and "more interesting than the average retro-pop nugget."[9] It has also received comparisons to Girls Aloud's previous single, "Can't Speak French".[7] Digital Spy referred to the single as "a cute, wistful pop song" with "some nice Spectorish touches in the production and a lovely, classic-sounding melody" that "grows more persuasive with every listen."[7][9] The Guardian, however, felt the song was "disappointing" because "Girls Aloud's producers have always been capable of making exciting and innovative pop music".[10]

TelBoy 29 October 2008 08:30 PM

Probably familiar because it was written by the Pet Shop Boys i believe....

leeroywrx 29 October 2008 10:02 PM

its familiar to me as it sounds like the blankety blank theme tune:lol1: :lol1:

Torquemada 29 October 2008 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by skoobidude (Post 8231435)
Is the new single from Girls Aloud a cover version of an old song? I'm sure I've heard it before somewhere.. :wonder:
Anyone know?

Nick

I definitely think that's the idea of the song to a certain degree, it's supposed to sound kinda old in style, maybe even familiar, without actually being a cover. It's clearly supposed to get the hooks in that way, not really worked for me though.
Not my cup o tea musically but I like their vids :) :thumb:

dpb 29 October 2008 10:10 PM

Apparently the women off x-factor comes from this group ....!"
thank-god for multi trac , high tech computers ..!