ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Classic RA, sti ra or just sti???? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/721467-classic-ra-sti-ra-or-just-sti.html)

NAY93WRX 28 October 2008 09:49 PM

Classic RA, sti ra or just sti????

Guys,

after selling my 93 WRX a while ago and buying a skyline...........I know I know:rolleyes:, I want another classic Impreza.

Anyway,

im going to sell the Datsun Skybarge (its an R32 GTS-t, its specced to the tits from Japan and very fast......in a straight line:lol1: )

im thinking either WRX RA, sti RA or an sti version 3 or 4.

What would you guys recommend out of the above? after having a WRX I do fancy an STI......

Oh yeah my budget will be about 4k

thanks peeps:thumb:

taffyboyo 28 October 2008 10:25 PM

rather than narrow your search down, why not just get the best car for your budget, any of the above would be a good bet as long as you get the best one you can ;)

Jay m A 28 October 2008 11:21 PM

v3/4 STI RA :)

Mystik Journeyman 28 October 2008 11:53 PM

It depends on what you want from the car; if it's an everyday machine with ABS and other such luxuries, go for the STi.

winker 28 October 2008 11:59 PM

hthttp://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q138/jachim1950/my2cars004.jpgtp://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q138/jachim1950/my2cars005.jpg.

perhaps something like these

tath 29 October 2008 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jay m A (Post 8229897)
v3/4 STI RA :)

:thumb:

You've got the intercooler, injectors and 4 pots already, nicer front end and STI suspension, as opposed to a V1/2 RA which often has WRX struts.

itzjoolz 29 October 2008 01:33 AM

How about mine its up for sale and well within your budget. Need a quick sale unfortunately.
https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f...olz/sub3-1.jpg

djmisio85 29 October 2008 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mystik Journeyman (Post 8229956)
It depends on what you want from the car; if it's an everyday machine with ABS and other such luxuries, go for the STi.

I thought STi's didn't have ABS due to the DCCD.....

tath 29 October 2008 03:47 AM

STIs don't have DCCD.

djmisio85 29 October 2008 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by tath (Post 8230115)
STIs don't have DCCD.

What are you on about?!?!? Of course STi's have dccd....

jayallen 29 October 2008 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by djmisio85 (Post 8230132)
What are you on about?!?!? Of course STi's have dccd....

No they dont its only the RA version.

If you can live with no electric windows,ABS,central locking,electric ariel and sitting on the motorway at 65mph due to the very low ratio box then the STI RA wins hands down.:thumb:
I wouldnt give mine up for a normal STI but i dont mind having none of the luxuries because the car is about more than that.

M535I 29 October 2008 07:43 AM

don't sti ra's have dccd ? upto a certain reg then the normal sti's get it aswell ?

djmisio85 29 October 2008 09:16 AM

So normal STi's dont have dccd :eek: the only subaru's ive owned have both been STi RA's...:lol1:

What about type R STi's? (the two door ones) Im sure they have DCCD :wonder:

djmisio85 29 October 2008 09:28 AM

Haha, yep, thats where I got lost :brickwall

Normal STi's (the 4 door ones) don't have DCCD but do have ABS
STi Type R's (the 2 door ones) do have DCCD, but don't have ABS
STi Type RA's also have DCCD and don't have ABS

What about the WRX type RA's (non STi)??
And what other impreza's or subarus have DCCD?

EDIT: having scanned the japanese used adds, it appears normal sti's from the blobeye onwards also have DCCD, does that mean they dont have ABS?

NAY93WRX 29 October 2008 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by itzjoolz (Post 8230067)
How about mine its up for sale and well within your budget. Need a quick sale unfortunately.
https://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f...olz/sub3-1.jpg

Thanks anyway mate,

I think its an STI for me.

The car ill get will be my everyday car and I don't do many motorway miles so having an RA with the differentials would'nt be an issue.

I went out in the boss of Forresters Subaru(:notworthy ) STI 5 RA V-limited and it was factory standard and it was the quickest thing ive been in!

Ill go hunting when I sell the Skybarge :thumb:

tath 29 October 2008 09:55 PM

Only classic with DCCD is STI RA/R. RA prob has front diff as well whereas the R doesn't iirc.

Every other classic WRX, WRX RA, STI, STI 555 and all the Vlims (unless STI RA) have normal diff and presumably ABS.

I wouldn't have an STI unless it was a bit special when the STI RA is the same price region. You can get an STI RA with C/L and EW if that's your thang, the compromises aren't that severe but the benefits are considerable. Early RA has the crazy gearing, the later ones aren't too bad unless you're planning to commute, in which case you should be driving a Focus diesel.

NAY93WRX 29 October 2008 11:44 PM

It would be my daily car but as I car share with a mate an RA is'nt a problem:D

Ginge ! 31 October 2008 08:43 PM

i was gonna get a sti ra and a mate actually owns one too, i went for a normal sti in the end, ONLY reason was due to the gearbox as i cant stand sitting on a empty motorway at less that 130 especially on the autobahn when i go to the ring,,,,, and i would have been left behind this year following 2 evos, 2 M3's and a few cpssies if i did get a RA

shame about the dccd,, wanna look a retro fitting it as its a VERY good tool to have IMO for a track car !

millzy555 31 October 2008 08:45 PM

Any pics of the skiyline dude?

millzy555 31 October 2008 08:46 PM

Woops i meant datsun

Ginge ! 31 October 2008 08:48 PM

im tempted to get a R32 gtr for some reason,,,,, though i know ill be just as poor in a few months if not more than when i owned a cossie

the impreza is the best performance car ive ever bought,,, the only complaint is the fuel tank needs to be bigger ( or car better on fuel)