ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Easy MOT on a saturday! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/721351-easy-mot-on-a-saturday.html)

skittle 28 October 2008 02:16 PM

Easy MOT on a saturday!

Hey,

I had my Scoob MOT'd weekend just gone.

Done on a satuday, they fitted a cat ;) , it passed, pipe put back to normal, and home again.

All done for the bargain price of £95! Macarthy's of Newbury if you need the same service.

Think this might only be a saturday thing as they do sooo much trade stuff during week.

RLE 28 October 2008 02:19 PM

Ouch..........glad I have a friendlier MOT station who does exactly the same for much less.

bluenosewrx 28 October 2008 02:20 PM

Dont think putting thier name up will help though, some right roasters read this and might Tout on you.

Mac

chrisUK300 28 October 2008 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by RLE (Post 8228490)
Ouch..........glad I have a friendlier MOT station who does exactly the same for much less.

could you PM me details im looking for a friendly local one

chocolate_o_brian 28 October 2008 03:43 PM

No offence to the O.P. but putting their name up and saying they fiddled your cat pipe isn't very clever - for them.

:nono:

StickyMicky 28 October 2008 04:02 PM

lol @ windup thread

Eddie1980 28 October 2008 04:04 PM

Why is that fiddled?

MOT is an "at the time" test, they are not ensuring its okay for 12 months, the screen wash might run out before then. As long as the work is carried out before the test starts and then backed out after the tests ended its fine.

scoobynutta555 28 October 2008 05:24 PM

£95 a 'bargain'? That's nearly twice what my MOT garage charges.

chocolate_o_brian 28 October 2008 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie1980 (Post 8228686)
Why is that fiddled?

MOT is an "at the time" test, they are not ensuring its okay for 12 months, the screen wash might run out before then. As long as the work is carried out before the test starts and then backed out after the tests ended its fine.

I'm taking a guess it being a fiddle as the M.O.T. station are knowingly fitting a decat exhaust to the owners car, and knwo and indeed watch the car drive away on the road and not off road 9what decats are suaully for legal wise). Thats not me nit picking, just explaining my p.o.v.

StickyMicky 28 October 2008 05:43 PM

i still pay 25quid for my MOT`s ;)

thesyn 28 October 2008 08:11 PM

Is there an official price for MOT, I keep paying 50 in SW London, mine wife and son's cars in quick succession, price seems to be somewhat inflation busting IMO

Mikkel 28 October 2008 08:47 PM

I pay £30 and that is with a "tip" to save me any hassle shall we say.

p12mem 28 October 2008 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 8228897)
I'm taking a guess it being a fiddle as the M.O.T. station are knowingly fitting a decat exhaust to the owners car, and knwo and indeed watch the car drive away on the road and not off road 9what decats are suaully for legal wise). Thats not me nit picking, just explaining my p.o.v.

hi choc! i'm an mot tester and as long as it passes the test at the time, it's up to the owner if he wants to pay to have it changed it's him or her that could get a pull and tested at the side of the road!

chocolate_o_brian 28 October 2008 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by p12mem (Post 8229603)
hi choc! i'm an mot tester and as long as it passes the test at the time, it's up to the owner if he wants to pay to have it changed it's him or her that could get a pull and tested at the side of the road!

Point taken. All I'm saying it the o.p. is daft for admitting the m.o.t. station knew the car wasn't technically road legal. I know we all do it, but we don't all name the station and possibly drop them in the sh1t. Thats all I was trying to say. :thumb:

p12mem 28 October 2008 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 8229611)
Point taken. All I'm saying it the o.p. is daft for admitting the m.o.t. station knew the car wasn't technically road legal. I know we all do it, but we don't all name the station and possibly drop them in the sh1t. Thats all I was trying to say. :thumb:

i'd agree, maybe should have just said was a good service

scooby(puppy power) 28 October 2008 10:38 PM

mine passed with no cats, thats how it was when i got it from the garage, took it the garage i take my cars to for mot, he put it on his emissions tester and it passed, i've had numerous cars over the years and soem have really struggled on the emissions, cant believe the will pass with no cat and my mot inspector was stumped as well.

skittle 29 October 2008 06:31 PM

The responsibility of running a car with no cat's is mine, as is asking someone to take it off for me.

As said before an MOT is 'at the time' , so when I run out of washer fluid, change my bulbs to ultra bright non legal ones, and have a blown tail light, I'm just as much at fault - cos all of those are failures too. At time of test, it was legal, cos they made it legal, I then requested, taking full personal responsibility, for them to take it off.

i'll take my other road car there when its needs its MOT done, normal MOT price, just the ease of a saturday! End of.

JimmyBFC 29 October 2008 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by skittle (Post 8228485)
Hey,

I had my Scoob MOT'd weekend just gone.

Done on a satuday, they fitted a cat ;) , it passed, pipe put back to normal, and home again.

All done for the bargain price of £95! Macarthy's of Newbury if you need the same service.

Think this might only be a saturday thing as they do sooo much trade stuff during week.

pmsl...£95

you've been framed I think bud ;)

JimmyBFC 29 October 2008 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by scooby(puppy power) (Post 8229785)
mine passed with no cats, thats how it was when i got it from the garage, took it the garage i take my cars to for mot, he put it on his emissions tester and it passed, i've had numerous cars over the years and soem have really struggled on the emissions, cant believe the will pass with no cat and my mot inspector was stumped as well.

was he also stumped when he removed it from the exhaust of the car next to yours....:lol1::lol1: