ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   No of course they're not profiteering (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/721346-no-of-course-theyre-not-profiteering.html)

f1_fan 28 October 2008 01:42 PM

No of course they're not profiteering

BBC NEWS | Business | High oil prices lift BP's profits

:mad: :mad: :mad:

TelBoy 28 October 2008 01:46 PM

Why don't all the people who moan about BP's profits send off a job application to them and share their success?

Will you have a major outbreak of Schadenfreude when their Q4 profits are halved from the recent oil price collapse? What would you do if the price of your product surged? Sell it for more money or say "no no i couldn't possibly"? Well then, BP are doing what anybody else in their position would do!

Gear Head 28 October 2008 01:48 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if a barrel of oil is under $30 by xmas. I read somewhere that the hikes in June/July were just to 'test' the market so they could see where the breaking point was. :wonder:

Little did they know that it would actually help 'break' the entire world economy! :razz:

davegtt 28 October 2008 01:50 PM

Well said Tel. Christ, jealousy because you buy their product and they're making profit from it. Doesnt make any sense to me

Gear Head 28 October 2008 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8228403)
Why don't all the people who moan about BP's profits send off a job application to them and share their success?

Will you have a major outbreak of Schadenfreude when their Q4 profits are halved from the recent oil price collapse? What would you do if the price of your product surged? Sell it for more money or say "no no i couldn't possibly"? Well then, BP are doing what anybody else in their position would do!

I'm sorry, but the world runs on the stuff. It isn't like buying a pair of jeans is it? :thumb: I know business is business but that amount of profit is just crazy.

I'd like to see their nett % profit compared to turnover. I bet you it is a wee bit more than 15%. :thumb:

f1_fan 28 October 2008 01:53 PM

I have actually defended the petrol price hikes in the past, but this is blatant money making. Are you seriously telling me that the price of petrol now is coming down at the same rate it was put up when the price started to climb?

Of course I understand that they will make more money when the price is higher, my problem is with the rate they put the pump prices up to the rate they drop them when the price comes down and that currently the pump price does not reflect the oil price.

f1_fan 28 October 2008 01:54 PM

Funy isn't it, if I had posted about the government making more money through the VAT you'd have all been falling over yourselves to condemn them :D

davegtt 28 October 2008 01:56 PM

I wouldnt, as Ive proved numerous times on other petrol price threads ;)

TelBoy 28 October 2008 01:59 PM

fi fan, nope, i wouldn't say they are, but again, i'd challenge you, if you sell a product and your costs reduce, would you genuinely reduce your product price by the same amount at the same time? I defy anyone on here who is in business to hand-on-heart say that they would. It's human nature i'm afraid.

Gear Head 28 October 2008 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8228446)
fi fan, nope, i wouldn't say they are, but again, i'd challenge you, if you sell a product and your costs reduce, would you genuinely reduce your product price by the same amount at the same time? I defy anyone on here who is in business to hand-on-heart say that they would. It's human nature i'm afraid.

Would love to know who you work for! :thumb:

Doesn't it entirely depend on the type of product you are selling? I.E. If you have any competition. :thumb:

Obviously, the Oil cartels don't have to worry about that do they! :D

TelBoy 28 October 2008 02:11 PM

Yes of course, Chris, it depends a lot on the product, and the world oil cartel doesn't help. But that's the way it's evolved, like it or loathe it, and one of the prices we pay for choosing to live in a capitalist society. Them's the rules, as they say.

speedking 28 October 2008 03:12 PM

If its that easy, how come my Shell shares are in the doldrums :confused:

PS buy your fuel from Shell to show your objection to BP's profits ;)

Terminator X 28 October 2008 07:20 PM

Telboy.

I think that the BP etc megaprofits annoy most people (except you of course - do you work for BP?) as it's a product that the world can't do without; making $Billions on the back of same seems a tad OTT. Charge a fair price & they may see their popularity increase however I'm not holding my breath in anticipation. When oil was last $70-80 a barrel we were paying miles less than £1 a litre :wonder:

Quick to increase prices then slow to decrease + prices never seem to return to where they were back then either :mad:

TX.

Terminator X 28 October 2008 07:24 PM

Good grief!

BP chief executive Tony Hayward said that oil prices could decline further as the world enters a recession.

"I believe that BP is well-positioned to cope with such volatility," he said.
$10Bn Profit in a Quarter will certainly help keep them warm this winter.

TX.

andys 28 October 2008 07:30 PM

so who is after a job

Jobs careers | Oil gas energy | BP

Terminator X 28 October 2008 07:33 PM

http://i35.tinypic.com/jl2wjs.jpg

Seems we should be paying less than 90p p/l :wonder:

TX.

Terminator X 28 October 2008 07:35 PM

We're in a recession, they'll be getting rid of staff ;)

TX.

Originally Posted by andys (Post 8229151)

Gordo 28 October 2008 09:48 PM

FFS - what a load of nonsense being posted on here.

a) it's a massive global business - of course it's profits are big, it's enormous and therefore it's return on capital has to be commensurate with that

b) making record profits when the oil price is high is precisely why these businesses exist, and can take the risks and costs involved in finding the stuff in the first place

c) oil exploration is a very risky business - yields are hard to predict and there is high political risk

d) BP is spending more than £13bn this year in exploration, refining and shipping - suddenly the profit doesn't look so big, particularly as it's not sustainable (the oil price is dropping again). This business needs to make returns across the cycle to even survive. Shame our wondrous government didn't apply the reverse logic to help us all survive the credit crunch!

e) only about 4% of BP's sales are in the UK, with these contributing less than 2% of profits. i.e. petrol sales here are tiny for this business - terrific that a British company can reside and pay taxes here and make massive profits. what a great success story that most of our pension funds are almost certainly invested in, and getting dividends from.

A large profit number grabs headlines, but criticising it or (god forbid) suggest a windfall tax would ultimately send this business overseas, costing tax and jobs here in the UK.

Gordo

fatherpierre 28 October 2008 11:47 PM

I drove past a BP near me yesterday that was charging 110.9 for normal unleaded.

Less than half a mile down the road the Shell place was 96.9 for the same stuff.

Greedy buggers.

The BP forecourt was empty, thankfully and I hope that place goes under. The other BP in town was 97.9.

Terminator X 28 October 2008 11:53 PM

Gordo.

BP make almost 21% gross profit. Despite what you say that's a lot for any company let alone one that turns over Billions a year ...

BP Company Financial Information

TX.

Gordo 29 October 2008 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 8229955)
Gordo.

BP make almost 21% gross profit. Despite what you say that's a lot for any company let alone one that turns over Billions a year ...

BP Company Financial Information

TX.

They make 11.7% profit before tax (not that great when you consider the risk they take - their return on capital probably only just delivers their risk adjusted cost through the cycle - and remember that this is probably as good as it gets for them - i.e. their 24.7% return on equity is the peak in the cycle for them - at times it is likely negative).

Gross profit for this business is not that relevant as you don't know what their fixed costs are below that line and depreciation in particular will be huge for a business that has to constantly be investing in massive long term capex projects.

Gordo

fatherpierre 29 October 2008 06:30 PM

Do you work for them?

Nothing wrong with making a profit......

fivetide 29 October 2008 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100 (Post 8228414)
Little did they know that it would actually help 'break' the entire world economy! :razz:

Daily Mash Agrees!

BP HAS ALL THE MONEY - The Daily Mash

5t

Gordo 29 October 2008 07:24 PM

haha - no, I don't work for them - it just galls me when people are ill-informed and rail against success in this country.

jaytc2003 29 October 2008 07:30 PM

shame they wont have much in the uk soon........

f1_fan 29 October 2008 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 8228446)

Cheers, so they are profiteering then :thumb: ;)