ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Fingernail dropped off - will it regrow? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/721312-fingernail-dropped-off-will-it-regrow.html)

angrynorth 28 October 2008 10:16 AM

Fingernail dropped off - will it regrow?

I trapped my finger in the bin chute in our apartment about 3 weeks ago. It had a huge build up of blood behind it so I went to hospital so they could relieve the pressure with a hot needle. They x-rayed it and said it wasn't broken and there didn't seem to be much more damage other than the fubarred fingernail.

Anyway, 3 or 4 days ago, my fingernail dropped off and there was a little stubby fingernail growing underneath. It hurts like fook if I catch it on anything, but the most worrying thing is a friend of mine who is a doctor came round for dinner tonight, took a look at it and said it didn't look like it would regrow fully! :eek:

Has anyone had a fingernail drop off that didn't regrow? I hope mine does it looks rancid!

Coffin Dodger 28 October 2008 10:19 AM

Might as well have the whole finger removed mate, doesn't sound like it's going to be much use to you in future :(

davegtt 28 October 2008 10:20 AM

it'll be fine. will grow back no problems. Doctors know fek all now a days :D

Nat 28 October 2008 10:26 AM

Will grow back fine :)

angrynorth 28 October 2008 10:28 AM

Thanks for the words of confidence. My girlfriend is repulsed by the sight of my finger at the moment so I'm buggered if it doesn't come back.

Fingers crossed and all that. :)

David Lock 28 October 2008 10:34 AM

Yes.

I had an ingrowing toenail removed. They said that they had removed the nail bed itself so it wouldn't grow back. Ha, fecking ha!!

Tip of the week. If you have a toenail removed don't look down :D :D

Scoobychick 28 October 2008 10:37 AM

I used to lose my big toenails regularly (too much dancing in high heeled shoes) and they always grew back.

The best one was when I was on holiday in Greece, the toenail had all but come off and was hanging by a thread at the bottom. I stood in the sea and as the waves gently washed over my feet it was flapping the nail right up and back, every time it did it me and my sister were screaming like girls :D

davegtt 28 October 2008 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by angrynorth (Post 8228041)
Thanks for the words of confidence. My girlfriend is repulsed by the sight of my finger at the moment so I'm buggered if it doesn't come back.

Just put it where she cant see it then ;)

Midnight Runner 28 October 2008 10:43 AM

Nah, first your fingernail, then your finger - LEPER!!! ;)

Nat 28 October 2008 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by angrynorth (Post 8228041)

Fingers crossed and all that. :)

Good excuse for some bum-fingering :)

StickyMicky 28 October 2008 10:50 AM

pmsl, do pokey bum wanks take your nails off ??

cookstar 28 October 2008 10:56 AM

I had a similar injury during a fight while a lot younger, about 15 years ago, it went all bloody then dropped off, the nail grew back but it has a big kink right down the middle and will have forever, its quite horrible really. :D

So you're not guaranteed it will grow back 100%

RoShamBo 28 October 2008 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobychick (Post 8228055)
I used to lose my big toenails regularly (too much dancing in high heeled shoes) and they always grew back.

The best one was when I was on holiday in Greece, the toenail had all but come off and was hanging by a thread at the bottom. I stood in the sea and as the waves gently washed over my feet it was flapping the nail right up and back, every time it did it me and my sister were screaming like girls :D

LOL I used to lose my big toe nail every so often because of playing squash and one time it went all black and started to fall off. I couldn't wait for it to drop off so called the kids and said "watch this - ever seen The Fly" and pulled it off. It made that crunching / squelching sound and there were still a few threads attached.......think I scarred them for life !
Always grow back though - quite interesting to see it too - goes all soft then hardens up, I found it fascinating.

Lydia72 28 October 2008 01:23 PM

I lost the whole of my thumbnail (push bike + recently gravelled road when I was about ten) and it grew back completely, it does look odd compared to all my other nails but not odd enough for anyone else to notice.

J4CKO 28 October 2008 02:29 PM

I twatted mine with a hammer a couple of months back, went all black, I removed the damaged bits cos it looked yak and the new nail grew behind it.

TelBoy 28 October 2008 02:32 PM

My big toenail is regrowing as we speak. Also squash-related. This will be about the third time i think. :)

RMA26 28 October 2008 02:37 PM

Caught my left thumb in a car door about 10 yrs ago, it's grown back but it still doesn't look very nice

davegtt 28 October 2008 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by RMA26 (Post 8228527)
Caught my left thumb in a car door about 10 yrs ago, it's grown back but it still doesn't look very nice

Thats because its attached to you :D

RMA26 28 October 2008 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 8228533)
Thats because its attached to you :D

:hjtwofing Wont be long before something of yours falls off :D

davegtt 28 October 2008 02:44 PM

Youre one to talk :freak3:

RMA26 28 October 2008 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 8228541)
Youre one to talk :freak3:

:iamwithst Stop stalking my threads and get one with some work slacker:lol1:

davegtt 28 October 2008 02:48 PM

Your thread :wonder: Just cause I have work to get on with, Mr Jobless ;) (and yes, Im talking to you, not CoB) :lol1:

RMA26 28 October 2008 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt (Post 8228555)
Your thread :wonder: Just cause I have work to get on with, Mr Jobless ;) (and yes, Im talking to you, not CoB) :lol1:

Yeah, cheers for that:mad:

SiPie 28 October 2008 02:52 PM

I lost the whole of my thumbnail (push bike + recently gravelled road when I was about ten) and it grew back completely, it does look odd compared to all my other nails but not odd enough for anyone else to notice.
Snap :thumb:

Grew in fine

Removed. 28 October 2008 09:30 PM

I had both my big toe nails removed as they were ingrowing, and I've lost 3 or 4 finger and thumbnails due to various mishaps, including the whole end of my finger going septic and the nail rotting thanks to a girl at school stabbing me with a compass. They've always grown back.

HankScorpio 28 October 2008 09:32 PM

I regularly pull out my toenails, the little buggers always grow back.

BLU 28 October 2008 09:40 PM

Yep, I trapped mine, and my 3 year old daughter trapped hers as well, both went black and dropped off. Both have grown back fine :luxhello:

mart360 28 October 2008 10:57 PM

Aw come on:D:D:D

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICS :eek::eek: :D:D

Mart

Lisawrx 28 October 2008 11:56 PM

Years ago, I lost my thumb nail. Got slammed in a locker door, and bruised straight away. Before long, it was black, and fell off as the new nail began to grow in. Grew in fully.. eventually after a fair bit of pain. Anyhow, doubt anyone would even notice anything wrong now, it's just a bit weaker than the rest.