ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Boost Solenoid Pipes (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/721124-boost-solenoid-pipes.html)

jr758774c 27 October 2008 12:34 PM

Boost Solenoid Pipes

After having my car mapped by JGM last week, I thought it would be a good idea, for some reason, to go playing around under the bonnet by replacing all manner of vacum/boost pipes for pretty Samco items, including the 2 pipe's to my boost solenoid :brickwall
It all looks very nice now, but I'm now only making 1.2Bar or boost rather than the 1.3 I was before, and the power delivery seems to be a bit slower/smoother... By that I mean, before it used to kick you in the @rse and now it seems to feel a bit slower!

So I guess my question is, would a smaller Internal Diameter pipe cause these type of symptoms, or have I moved/unplugged/generally buggered something else up?? :wonder:

Cheers in advance

Mark

burbling1 27 October 2008 12:53 PM

Dis you take the restrictor pill out of the old hose and put it in the new one?

andyxros 27 October 2008 01:17 PM

i once did this and put a slightly bigger tee piece in cos other broke and am talking millimeter in size diffrence, so am sure the pipes and everthing will need to be bang on..even lengths cut to size ,,o and cheak that you have put tee piece in the same way as this too caused me problems and restricor pill needs to be in the pipe off turbo to tee piece

jr758774c 27 October 2008 03:08 PM

the restrictor pill is still there, although I must admit, I did cut the pipe's a bit longer as I wanted to re-route around the FMIC pipes. Hmmm... didn't think it'd make that much of a difference!

rob73 27 October 2008 08:20 PM

mate...keep the boost pipes as short as possible. This means boost has a more direct hit & has less to travel through the pipe work & also i changed my standard boost pipes for samco silicone one & it felt less visious when it went on boost,thing is standard pipes are hard & dont swell like the squishey squashey samco stuff.

Jay_ 27 October 2008 10:51 PM

Changing boost pipes after you've been mapped can have a major difference on the map etc depending on the changes in pipe length and internal diameter.... it can upset the map as you will now be flowing air to the solenoid differently:wonder:

If you replace pipes, always make sure you use identical lengths and internal diameters to that when mapped.

Wulsey 27 October 2008 10:57 PM

What are the internal diameters of the standard boost hoses?

Jolly Green Monster 27 October 2008 11:33 PM

Mark,

if you are sure there are no leaks etc..

you should be able to increase the duty to get back to where you were as long as we were not at max already.. I will check the map..

I can explain how to do, or I can meet you when next nearby to adjust.

Simon

jr758774c 28 October 2008 09:15 AM

I've swapped them back - best to be on the safe side - Not had a chance to test it yet but thanks for the input guys.
You learn something new every day! :)