ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   launch control (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/720958-launch-control.html)

stealthy55 26 October 2008 03:05 PM

launch control

via ecu, how does it work and can it cause any damage apart from clutch?

JimmyBFC 26 October 2008 03:15 PM

lot of transmission stress if overused, you'll need a twin plate or better if on standard clutch.

Really only applicable to sprinting or occaisonally bit of fun.

JimmyBFC 26 October 2008 03:17 PM

It sets a rev limit, so when you fully depress the gas it will only rev to mapped in figure, ie; 5k revs, or whatever your tuner thinks is best.

If you have an aftermarket ECU it can build boost from sat stationary.

dynamix 26 October 2008 04:12 PM

I've got launch control on my std OE ecu and it will build boost very nicely when standing still :D

Huge stresses with launch control - prepare for something to break at some point.

stealthy55 26 October 2008 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 8224280)
I've got launch control on my std OE ecu and it will build boost very nicely when standing still :D

Huge stresses with launch control - prepare for something to break at some point.

what will break?

dynamix 26 October 2008 04:52 PM

Have you thought about what is happening when you launch ?

stealthy55 26 October 2008 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 8224340)
Have you thought about what is happening when you launch ?

apart from clutch, no:confused:

JimmyBFC 26 October 2008 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by stealthy55 (Post 8224348)
apart from clutch, no:confused:

did you read any replies :wonder:

Its harsh on transmission, you will need or Id advise, a twin plate clutch, just as a fail safe more than anything, standard clutches can last, but they weren't made to be launched a lot, if at all.

stealthy55 26 October 2008 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC (Post 8224371)
did you read any replies :wonder:

Its harsh on transmission, you will need or Id advise, a twin plate clutch, just as a fail safe more than anything, standard clutches can last, but they weren't made to be launched a lot, if at all.

ok :) stress and brake i wanted to know what brakes, surely question aint too difficult? did ask apart from CLUTCH.

dynamix 26 October 2008 05:13 PM

In a way it is cheaper if your clutch is weak as it will just burn and slip.

If the clutch manages to survive and transmit the power then ALL of the force and shocking loading of dragging the car off the line is going through the gearbox and diffs.

If all the cogs stay on the gears and no other bits break in there then all the force and shock is going to the driveshafts. They can and do break too.

And so on......

Launches are incredibly harsh.

stealthy55 26 October 2008 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 8224385)

If the clutch manages to survive and transmit the power then ALL of the force and shocking loading of dragging the car off the line is going through the gearbox and diffs.

If all the cogs stay on the gears and no other bits break in there then all the force and shock is going to the driveshafts. They can and do break too.

And so on......

thank you dynamix this was the answer i was looking for:thumb:

JimmyBFC 26 October 2008 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 8224385)

And so on......

:thumb:

Austrian Impreza 27 October 2008 09:31 AM

What about the valves, turbo and headers?
Ignitioncut (launchcontrol) will be hard to these parts, isnīt it?