ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Hks induction kit noise or leaking dump valve? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/720487-hks-induction-kit-noise-or-leaking-dump-valve.html)

Northy 7 23 October 2008 09:58 PM

Hks induction kit noise or leaking dump valve?

Hi im not that clued up with scoobs so here it goes.

I have a HKS racing suction kit on MY00 CLASSIC UK TURBO and it looks like a standerd recirculating DV but the car makes sssshhhhhhh noise when im on the throttle and then a swoosh noise similer to a dump valve?

I thought it may of been a leaking DV but ive heard that makes more of a moooo noise and also its a recirculating DV so it wouldnt make the noise of a atmoshpheric DV?

Do you think its the racing suction kit as the noise comes in at around 2000-2500 rpm before the boost?

Thanks guys

Adam

Jolly Green Monster 23 October 2008 10:02 PM

difficult to be 100% without hearing it but sounds like DV..

Simon

debbiesonic 23 October 2008 10:14 PM

Is it the HKS mushroom type with the green foam?

If it is, i can confirm that you have probably the noisiest filter available :lol1:
My electrolux turbo 1500w vacuum does not make as much din as those things! Unfortunately they don't do a very good job of filtering, which is a shame considering it only has that one job to do.

You can hear every bit of engine noise through them!

Northy 7 23 October 2008 10:28 PM

Yellow foam mushroom racing suction kit.

Sounds like its coming from that side of the engine and yes it is very noisy and it makes the sshhhhhhhhhhh noise before you even get into boost?

Northy 7 23 October 2008 10:30 PM

I use the 2 layer wet yellow foam as HKS told me thats the best to use for this kit and change it every 2500 miles when i change the oil and oil filter.

T4YLOR 83 23 October 2008 11:13 PM

i have the racing suction kit too and it is loud but it means you get a bit of a dump valve noise without all the hassle that comes with fitting vta dump valve :norty:
ps where do you get the wet filters from?:confused:

T4YLOR 83 23 October 2008 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Northy 7 (Post 8219206)
Yellow foam mushroom racing suction kit.

Sounds like its coming from that side of the engine and yes it is very noisy and it makes the sshhhhhhhhhhh noise before you even get into boost?

oh yeah by the way it perfectly normal :)

debbiesonic 23 October 2008 11:39 PM

A wet layer will filtrate alot more than a dry element, unfortunately it may not be so kind to the MAF sensor.

The Maf element must be dry and clean in order for it to do it's job. If you are going to be using a wet layer continuosly, i would check and clean the MAF on a regular basis.

Northy 7 24 October 2008 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by debbiesonic (Post 8219342)
A wet layer will filtrate alot more than a dry element, unfortunately it may not be so kind to the MAF sensor.

The Maf element must be dry and clean in order for it to do it's job. If you are going to be using a wet layer continuosly, i would check and clean the MAF on a regular basis.

Thanks m8,it had a new MAF fitted 2 years ago and this one seems to be just fine(touch wood)

Northy 7 24 October 2008 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by T4YLOR 83 (Post 8219301)
i have the racing suction kit too and it is loud but it means you get a bit of a dump valve noise without all the hassle that comes with fitting vta dump valve :norty:
ps where do you get the wet filters from?:confused:

Part code-1504-SA013 Welcome to Sumopower - Number 1 for Japanese Tuning Parts

290 AND READY 24 October 2008 01:34 PM

I bought one off ebay and does exactly the same
I love it