ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   My internet browser keeps taking me to blinkx.com or findit.com? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/720361-my-internet-browser-keeps-taking-me-to-blinkx-com-or-findit-com.html)

timmy2take 23 October 2008 01:43 PM

My internet browser keeps taking me to blinkx.com or findit.com?

Received a virus the other day through facebook and ever since when I type in something to search in google I keep getting taken to either blinkx.com or findit.com and neither of them have any relevance to what I searched for.

I've had the viruses removed via AVG anti virus and ran a spyware program and cleaned everything up. I've also reset the computer to a time when it was running properly a few weeks ago.

I'm still getting the same problem, anymore ideas?

MrNoisy 23 October 2008 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by timmy2take (Post 8217885)
Received a virus the other day through facebook and ever since when I type in something to search in google I keep getting taken to either blinkx.com or findit.com and neither of them have any relevance to what I searched for.

I've had the viruses removed via AVG anti virus and ran a spyware program and cleaned everything up. I've also reset the computer to a time when it was running properly a few weeks ago.

I'm still getting the same problem, anymore ideas?

It's probably installed a browser toolbar or add-on mate - have a look in your Internet Explorer - Tools - Options - Manage Add-Ons in the programs tab. Disable anything that you don't think belongs there that isn't signed by Microsoft / Adobe / usual suspects.

Also I'd recommend downloading and running Lavasoft Ad-Aware on your system as it's often been good at finding items AVG won't necessarily dig up.
Good luck.

Boro 23 October 2008 02:06 PM

They can be a bitch to get rid of sometimes, but do-able, best of searching google for a fix.

Have you ran your spyware/AV in safe mode as ive found this works best.

GC8 23 October 2008 10:01 PM

Malwarebytes will be the best option in my experience. Ad-Aware was the first anti-malware program, but its pretty average now, at best.

MJW 24 October 2008 09:38 AM

The virus might be restoring itself by exploiting system restore. To turn it off, right click on My Computer and select the System Restore tab. Tick the box to turn it off then run your anti-virus and anti-spyware software. You can turn it back on again when you're satisfied the virus has been flushed out.

Midlife...... 24 October 2008 11:33 AM

GC8

Is it this one ?

Malwarebytes.org

Just always wary of downloading stuff...I guess I just click the green download button on the left :D

Shaun

pimmo2000 24 October 2008 01:16 PM

Sounds like a static DNS ... couple of spyware application force this ... check it out

timmy2take 24 October 2008 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by MJW (Post 8219681)
The virus might be restoring itself by exploiting system restore. To turn it off, right click on My Computer and select the System Restore tab. Tick the box to turn it off then run your anti-virus and anti-spyware software. You can turn it back on again when you're satisfied the virus has been flushed out.

I'm not entirely sure here what your telling me turn off? I can't seem to do a system restore it keeps coming up with an error message saying the system can't do it.

Any more help would be greatfully appreciated.

I also downloaded that malwarebytes program, something in that stopped me accessing the internet. Have just restored everything it quarantined and now I can access the net again. I know it was nothing else as i've been able to get on xbox this AM and download from an ftp site also.

pimmo2000 24 October 2008 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by timmy2take (Post 8220158)
I'm not entirely sure here what your telling me turn off? I can't seem to do a system restore it keeps coming up with an error message saying the system can't do it.

Any more help would be greatfully appreciated.

I also downloaded that malwarebytes program, something in that stopped me accessing the internet. Have just restored everything it quarantined and now I can access the net again. I know it was nothing else as i've been able to get on xbox this AM and download from an ftp site also.

When system restore backs up your files it can include the virus as part of the backup. Windows them potects these files and wont allow access from your Virus Scanner.

By turning off restore and deleting any previously stored backups you can remove the virus..

I still reckon its a DNS

GC8 27 October 2008 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 8219891)
GC8

Is it this one ?

Malwarebytes.org

Just always wary of downloading stuff...I guess I just click the green download button on the left :D

Shaun

It is. :thumb: