ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   V9 CRANKSHAFT?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/720188-v9-crankshaft.html)

adzer 22 October 2008 05:28 PM

V9 CRANKSHAFT??

hi can anyone help me out, engine needs a new crank, is there any advantage from a v9 crank over a v4 crank?

the engine is for a classic impreza, building a forged cdb.

both are centre thrust so should fit???? :wonder:

or would i just be best to buy a second hand crank?

merlin24 22 October 2008 06:19 PM

Version 9 crank is Nitrided and REAR thrust,so you will to have your CDB machined to take the V9 crank.
Buy yourself a New Center thrust crank from the likes of API,Lateral etc - and seeing as the crank is a major critical component, it can be a bit of a gamble buying a second hand one.

Mick

Lateral Performance 22 October 2008 06:41 PM

Agree with Mick about used cranks, although you could get one checked by an engineer.

If you're prepared to get the block machined, the STi9 crank is a good option.

I have both in stock.

Mark.

overlord 22 October 2008 07:21 PM

what do you do about the bearings do you have to buy two sets?

STI_Baly 22 October 2008 07:25 PM

Mark from Lateral can supply the bearings to.

And as mentioned above given the option i would definitely go for the V9 crank especially on a forged engine as it is the strongest option.

I Believe the machining of the CDB for rear thrust is in the 150 to 190 bracket. Mark from Lateral can also sort this out. Best to probably give him a call.

Baly

adzer 22 October 2008 10:03 PM

hmmmm there is a company offering me a v9 centre thrust crank.
:wonder:

STI_Baly 22 October 2008 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by adzer (Post 8216626)

I have seen these too, and to be honest with you do not know much about them except for i don't think they are genuine V9 cranks but i believe just centre thrust cranks which have been nitrided possibly V4 cranks. :wonder:

So do double check any info on these centre thrust cranks and feedback would be appreciated.

Baly

stoneface 23 October 2008 10:54 AM

I have a brand new v7/8 crank for sale is cross drilled as per v9 but not nitrided.

APIDavid 23 October 2008 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by adzer (Post 8216626)

We've seen one of these. I think it is a genuine Subaru crank, but is not a twin thrust - it just looks like it is. so when you fit it in the alternative [ centre thrust ] position there is too much endfloat and it wrecks itself in no time at all.

Steel cranks are usually genuine twin thrust from the point of view that the maker can cover many models from one forging.

Our steel crank range, available in the New Year, will be like that.

David APi

Agents for:
Simtek, the most exciting new Ecu for years
Buddy Club exhausts
Scoobysportexhausts
Eibach suspension
Hybrid front mount intercooler kits
AP Racing brakes and clutches
And of course; the well known APi Performance Exedy organic clutch

www.apiengines.com

01926 614333

172sport 23 October 2008 03:14 PM

I cant believe they are not nitrided from the factory.........

stockcar 23 October 2008 03:38 PM

the V9 is, nothing else...................

alyn

172sport 23 October 2008 04:05 PM

All the Integrales where from the factory, and they started in 1988...........

TonyBurns 23 October 2008 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 172sport (Post 8218151)
All the Integrales where from the factory, and they started in 1988...........

Shame about the rust proofing though ;)

Tony:D

joz8968 23 October 2008 04:19 PM

I want my old Blu Madras HF Integrale Evoluzione I :luvlove:... back :cry:. Damn! Damn! :brickwall

APIDavid 23 October 2008 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by stockcar (Post 8218101)
the V9 is, nothing else...................

alyn

Alyn, you can buy a cross drilled factory crank, that is not nitrided, We got them from APi Holland until the price became unworkable.

David APi

APIDavid 23 October 2008 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 8218164)
Shame about the rust proofing though ;)

Tony:D

Yeah :lol1: All there will be left in a few years time is a nitrided crank in the middle of a pile of brown stuff....:mad: :D

David

I'm gettin' me coat - honest

joz8968 23 October 2008 04:46 PM

David, I've heard - albeit tenuously - that Lancer Evos in particular, can suffer engine failure due to a phenomenon known as 'crank walk' :wonder:.

I'm sure you'll be able to explain...

APIDavid 23 October 2008 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 8218249)
David, I've heard - albeit tenuously - that Lancer Evos in particular, can suffer engine failure due to a phenomenon known as 'crank walk' :wonder:.

I'm sure you'll be able to explain...

Evo's suffer from excess crank endfloat and wreck the block casting. Definitely bad news, as the swarf generated from the block machining itself takes most of the rest of the engine with it.

In our experience it is Evo 4/5/6 that suffer the worst.

Ask me another:smug:

joz8968 23 October 2008 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 8218270)
...In our experience it is Evo 4/5/6 that suffer the worst.

Typical! They're the best looking versions! :rolleyes: lol.

Percentage wise, how many suffer? (Not as many as Subaru big end failures I'll wager?! :lol1:)

APIDavid 23 October 2008 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 8218284)
Typical! They're the best looking versions! :rolleyes: lol.

Go wash your mouth out !!:mad: Foul language on an open Subaru forum:lol: Where are the mods when you need 'em :p

Percentage wise, how many suffer? (Not as many as Subaru big end failures I'll wager?! :lol1:)

Dunno mate, we see a few - but there are nothing like so many Evo's in the country as there are Subarus.

David

adzer 23 October 2008 06:08 PM

ok guys so what kind of crank can i use without any modifications or trouble?

any recomendations?

standard v4 stand the power of 400bhp?

merlin24 23 October 2008 06:29 PM

It's not normally the crank which is the "weakest link" - it's the rods.

adzer 23 October 2008 06:35 PM

v4 crank with eagle rods and wiseco pistons and full acl bearings?

bullet proof??

joz8968 23 October 2008 07:36 PM

So David, you are very much a died in the wool Suby man then... and would NEVER go over to the dark side, no?

stockcar 23 October 2008 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 8218238)
Alyn, you can buy a cross drilled factory crank, that is not nitrided, We got them from APi Holland until the price became unworkable.

David APi

yep i know the x-drilled crank came in the V8 cars, i replied to the query about nitriding and that only apples to the V9 cranks hence my post

cheers, alyn

p.s. generally speaking the only EVO that suffered c/walk was the EVO4 due to a poor design subsequently solved from EVO5 onwards........

burble1234 23 October 2008 07:48 PM

not necessarily bullet proof my friend. iv had many problems in the past. whatever you do, NEVER USE a second hand or regrinded crank! make sure you use an uprated oil pump and clean out or replace the standard oil cooler attached to the block where the oil filter sits, as it can collect alot of debris prior to re-build.

im doing a re-build at the moment using eagle conrods, cp pistons, acl competition bearings. had the liners replaced in my cdb and using a v9 nitrated crank (cross drilled AND centre thrust) bought from a company in bristol called advanced automotive. i dont know whether this crank has been modified to centre thrust but all i do know that its bang on!

make sure that you use proper assembly lube on all internal engine parts where oil take a few seconds to circulate on initial start up and use proper running in oil or mineral oil for the first 800 miles or so... AND whatever you do, don't be blasting the balls off your car initially coz ul be sorry!

also make sure you clean ur heads properly before putting them back on, make sure you clean all oil passages thoroughly.

ok sorry for the SA, as im stood in the apple shop in trafford centre writing this and people givin me weird looks... well what can i do, i don't know the first thing about womens shoes... and frankly my dear.. i dont give a damm!

cheers

APIDavid 24 October 2008 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by adzer (Post 8218485)
v4 crank with eagle rods and wiseco pistons and full acl bearings?

bullet proof??

Largely, but nothing is customer proof.:D

David APi

Standard V4 new crank with balanced flywheel and clutch is plenty good enough.

APIDavid 24 October 2008 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 8218618)
So David, you are very much a died in the wool Suby man then... and would NEVER go over to the dark side, no?

I've had 3 or 4 Evo's over the years. Nice little runabout with the turning circle of the Titanic.

But totally soul-less in my opinion compared to a Subaru.

Effective and with good performance and they turn in better than a Subaru ever will, but not engaging in the drive.

Anyway, I am about to emigrate to nowhereland just so the Evo guys cannot find me. :eek: ... See y'all

Sounds of footsteps running, door slamming, tyre squeal, etc etc

David

adzer 24 October 2008 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 8219696)
Largely, but nothing is customer proof.:D

David APi

Standard V4 new crank with balanced flywheel and clutch is plenty good enough.

:thumb: