ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   PDF Files (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/720096-pdf-files.html)

David Lock 22 October 2008 07:57 AM

PDF Files

Why do govt departments and agencies, such as unis, supply course application forms in PDF format?

I know it looks all nice and neat but few folk have the software to fill in the forms and they have to be completed manually and posted. A nuisance for everyone.

Why can't they send them in Word format? I tried using some Adobe freeware but this was a complete disaster. Am I missing a trick here?

dl

DJ Dunk 22 October 2008 09:35 AM

I guess its desgined for you to print them out and complete them manually, saves having to send them to you physically. Although, yes it would be quicker to be able to complete them digitally and email them back.

PDF's need to evolve to allow completion without extra software whilst still retaining their integrity . . . perhaps there's a gap in the market for a universal digital form format?

JackClark 22 October 2008 09:59 AM

Unless it's disabled you can cut and paste from a PDF with some success. I refuse to buy a printer so have a fair bit of experience.

IanW 22 October 2008 10:58 AM

I hve had some PDF's where i have been able to fill them in using Acrobat and send them back without having to print them out.

DJ Dunk 22 October 2008 11:28 AM

But with the free reader or the pay-for full product? The full product allows it if correctly configured, but not the reader AFAIK.

IanW 22 October 2008 01:11 PM

With the reader, i dont have the Fullt Acrobat on my Laptop.

jaytc2003 22 October 2008 01:24 PM

worst case scenario, do a screen copy and paste it into paint.
Then use the text function to complete the form, then save it as a jpg or tiff

David Lock 22 October 2008 01:38 PM

OK guys, thanks.

I expect we'll end up doing it manually but it won't look as tidy. Why they can't send the damn thing in Word remains a mystery!! d

DJ Dunk 22 October 2008 01:44 PM

Thats good to know.

Looks like you can complete the form when the capability is enabled by the document author in Adobe LiveCycle software.

Adobe - Reader: New features

JackClark 22 October 2008 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 8215346)
OK guys, thanks.

I expect we'll end up doing it manually but it won't look as tidy. Why they can't send the damn thing in Word remains a mystery!! d

Word Macro Viruses.

boomer 22 October 2008 10:13 PM

It isn't the technology that is the problem, but the Techno-tards who are trying to use it!!

Even with Word there are people who will manually type in underscores in fields on forms that you have to fill in :mad:

...but there is another reason to hate PDFs - the fact that Acrobat Reader is becoming becoming more of a bloat-ware than even Uncle Bill's finest applications ;)

mb