ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries (https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-and-third-party-supplier-queries-3/)
-   -   Northants Subaru (https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-and-third-party-supplier-queries-3/719953-northants-subaru.html)

Jukesy007 21 October 2008 01:53 PM

Northants Subaru

Hello all

I need to get my subaru serviced and have recently moved to the nothants area and was wondering if anyone had heard of these and if they were recommended.

Thanks for your help

ash002004 21 October 2008 02:07 PM

where abouts in our region are you at mate? I think theres on in Spratton nrea northampton, then again lookin at the northants subaru website i think thats the same place. If your nearer to me (wellingborough/rushden/ketterting) area then Zenn are your best bet :thumb:

Zen Performance

Jukesy007 21 October 2008 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ash002004 (Post 8212952)
where abouts in our region are you at mate? I think theres on in Spratton nrea northampton, then again lookin at the northants subaru website i think thats the same place. If your nearer to me (wellingborough/rushden/ketterting) area then Zenn are your best bet :thumb:

Zen Performance

Thanks for that, my brother actually lives in Wellingborough so that could be a good bet.

I dont trust my old Subaru servier as they said the car was leaking oil, power steering fluid and everything yet the dealer i took it to 5 months before that which was Days in Chelmsford said it was a great condition with no leaks unfortunately that shut so had to take it elsewhere and supposedly it had developed all these so called "leaks" so dont trust them as none of the levels had dropped and have not had to refil anything even though i check it regularly, so am looking for someone who will give honest advice and only tell me genuinely what needs doing

Also one other thing my car has only done 45k iles. its a 2000 classic and had the cambelt done about at 23000 now in terms of time its due another one but has only done 22000 miles since the last.

Now i was told off the record by a mechanic that if genuine parts were used dont worry that it was done 4 or 5 years ago as its all to do with milage.

Can anyone shed any light on this or is it age

Thanks once again

ash002004 21 October 2008 02:20 PM

Would of thought it didnt need doing til its mileage now mate, i wouldnt worry yet. Mine needs doing its on 49,000 now so next service soon will include a new cambelt think need to pick up the phone and call Zenn :thumb: lol

Jukesy007 21 October 2008 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ash002004 (Post 8212987)
Would of thought it didnt need doing til its mileage now mate, i wouldnt worry yet. Mine needs doing its on 49,000 now so next service soon will include a new cambelt think need to pick up the phone and call Zenn :thumb: lol

Thanks for that :)

I was quoted about £900 for a cambelt service, so will be interested in finding out what Zen would charge.

ash002004 21 October 2008 04:10 PM

bloody hell that aint cheap!!!!

try sourcing cambelt urself and get them 2 service & fit

SC008Y_MAD 21 October 2008 04:56 PM

Northants Subaru

I heard about them from a good mate on here and he spoke highly of them. The owner, Steve, used to work for a Subaru main dealer, but went bust, so he brought all their equipment of them and set up is own business. My dad has been to him a few times and as a mater of fact when to see him Steve today to try and diagnose the knocking. He did and is going back in next week to fit the part as it had to be ordered from Subaru. Steve, seems the type of guy that will do a personal service/maintenance on your Scoob, whereas a dealer will treat it as another Subaru.

Zen are bloody good to. Bit nearer that NS, but that are highly recommended on here.

Jukesy007 21 October 2008 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by ash002004 (Post 8213148)
bloody hell that aint cheap!!!!

try sourcing cambelt urself and get them 2 service & fit

I know i couldnt believe it.

The car is probably only worth 4-5k at a push in the current cliamte and that maybe pushing it

Will definitely have a word with Zen

Jukesy007 21 October 2008 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD (Post 8213240)
Northants Subaru

I heard about them from a good mate on here and he spoke highly of them. The owner, Steve, used to work for a Subaru main dealer, but went bust, so he brought all their equipment of them and set up is own business. My dad has been to him a few times and as a mater of fact when to see him Steve today to try and diagnose the knocking. He did and is going back in next week to fit the part as it had to be ordered from Subaru. Steve, seems the type of guy that will do a personal service/maintenance on your Scoob, whereas a dealer will treat it as another Subaru.

Zen are bloody good to. Bit nearer that NS, but that are highly recommended on here.

Thats good to know there are couple as was struggling to find one that could be recommended.

Thanks for your help

ash002004 21 October 2008 05:35 PM

yup were pretty lucky here in our parts of the woods boys! NS, Zenn and scoobyparts in bedford! well its not even in bedford, just outside rushden to me :thumb:

JonnyUK1980 22 October 2008 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jukesy007 (Post 8213020)
Thanks for that :)

I was quoted about £900 for a cambelt service, so will be interested in finding out what Zen would charge.

£900 for a cambelt service!!!!! jesus christ is that really what it costs? :eek:

I was reckoning on about £300 lol :brickwall

My service book shows a subaru dealers in peterborough (Donalds garage) which is about25 miles from Rushden if you live over the best side of the county ;) lol

Jonny

Jukesy007 22 October 2008 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by JonnyUK1980 (Post 8214999)
£900 for a cambelt service!!!!! jesus christ is that really what it costs? :eek:

My service book shows a subaru dealers in peterborough (Donalds garage) which is about25 miles from Rushden if you live over the best side of the county ;) lol

Jonny

I know i couldnt believe it, thats why im looking for a decent independent.

That was from an offical subaru dealership so is probably bumped up but will see if i can get some quotes from Zen and Northants

ash002004 22 October 2008 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyUK1980 (Post 8214999)

Jonny

lol and what side of the county is best?

Im originally from Raunds, not too bad there. just past rushden, live in wellinboro now though

Jukesy Zenn use official subaru parts and if im correct, they use an official subaru stamp in the service book aswell so its still classed as subaru service history :thumb:

movi-star 22 October 2008 02:17 PM

If you have a Impreza and live in Northants then Zen is the best place to take it to, I had the 90k service + cambelt change done last year there, cost about £400. Good price and top knowledge.

ash002004 22 October 2008 04:25 PM

yeah cambelt and service sounds about right for 400 what a bargain :) was that service, parts, cambelt & labour for £400?

scoobyboy 22 October 2008 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jukesy007 (Post 8212981)

Also one other thing my car has only done 45k iles. its a 2000 classic and had the cambelt done about at 23000 now in terms of time its due another one but has only done 22000 miles since the last.

Now i was told off the record by a mechanic that if genuine parts were used dont worry that it was done 4 or 5 years ago as its all to do with milage.

Can anyone shed any light on this or is it age

Thanks once again

rubber perishes with age more so if it's not being used so avoid who ever told you that and get it done

Mother Theresa 22 October 2008 06:16 PM

Steve is excellent and ridiculously cheap - once you have found the place.

Andy T 22 October 2008 07:21 PM

Steve is awesome, used him for years, top bloke and great knowledge.

Another vote here for Zen, we are really spoilt in the Northampton area.
Would never use a main dealer again.

ash002004 22 October 2008 07:49 PM

lol I have never seen the actual unit but know its there and the reputation. Will have to search for it soon!

rooferman 22 October 2008 09:57 PM

Zen Performance would get my vote.........

Jukesy007 23 October 2008 09:04 AM

Thanks for all the advice.

Actually spoke with Zenn yesterday and were very helpful so will definitely be using them.

Just need to sort out some time off work and will get it booked in.

Thanks again for all the replys