ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The Body Farm (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/719776-the-body-farm.html)

lozgti 20 October 2008 03:59 PM

The Body Farm

I never knew what the expression 'he bought the farm' meant until I read it in a book.Still wondered if it was a fictitious place.

It then popped up in a Steven Fry thing last night.Anyone see it?

For anyone who doesn't know,its where they have corpses littering a garden and they use them to give an idea of time of death by things like which insects/maggots are having a chomp on them:freak3:

rbaz 20 October 2008 04:05 PM

Yeah I have seen the place on Discovery discovery channel I think :wonder: very gruesome program.
Where they train people to become real CSI's in America to give them an idea on how bodies look in different situations over different time scales people volunteer there body’s to science to gain entry to the farm:freak3:

Scoobychick 20 October 2008 04:07 PM

I saw it and like Stephen Fry would happily donate my body (once I've finished with it ;)) to them for the sake of developments in anthropological forensic science. If it helps to catch more murderers then it can only be a good thing :thumb:

University of Tennessee Anthropological Research Facility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

stilover 20 October 2008 04:39 PM

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

:)

Lee247 20 October 2008 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 8210795)

I know you live in Darlington and I live in Newcastle, but there is no need to shout :D

_Meridian_ 20 October 2008 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by stilover (Post 8210795)

It's not the same without the smell though.

M

stilover 20 October 2008 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 84of300 (Post 8210801)
I know you live in Darlington and I live in Newcastle, but there is no need to shout :D

Pardon?

boxst 20 October 2008 04:51 PM

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/...b__200x297.jpg

From Life on the farm - Health - Specials - smh.com.au

Steve

Simon C 20 October 2008 05:16 PM

Thought we had a few of them as well.

Dave Bullock 20 October 2008 07:49 PM

The worst one was the 'Stew' in the wheely bin. Yuk!!!!! :eek:

Bet it STANK!! :(

fast bloke 20 October 2008 08:25 PM

"bought the farm" comes from much earlier than the body farm though. I thought it came from insurance payouts related to death in service. Someone dreams of growing old and retiring with his wife to a farm with some chickens and a cow, then gets wiped out in an industrial accident. Company pays out and his widow gets to buy the farm with the proceeds........ maybe I just made that up though

HankScorpio 20 October 2008 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti (Post 8210721)
I never knew what the expression 'he bought the farm' meant

Bought the farm

Specific references to 'the farm' come a little later. There are reports of the phrase being in use in the US military from 1955 onward. Here's a citation from 1963, in Ed Miller's Exile to the Stars:

"The police dispatcher says a plane just bought the farm."

There are a few suggested derivations for the phrase. One, put forward in a 1955 edition of American Speech, is the idea that when a jet crashes on a farm the farmer may sue the government for compensation. That would generate a large enough amount of money to pay off the farm's mortgage. Hence, the pilot paid for the farm with his life.

The second theory is that military men might dream of returning from the battlefront and settling down with a family to a peaceful life down on the farm. If someone were killed his colleagues might say, 'well, he bought the farm early', or similar. Well, yes they might, and there are numerous sentimental US films where dialogue like that wouldn't be out of place. That's not to say the phrase was coined that way though.

A third suggestion is the idea that, if a serviceman was killed in action, his family would receive a payout from the insurance that service personnel were issued with. This would be sufficient to pay off the family mortgage.