ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   The truth (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/719545-the-truth.html)

wrx9181 19 October 2008 02:33 PM

The truth

What are the best tyres for fast road and track for a scooby abviously:)
Everyone seems to have different ideas
bridge, toyo, dunlop, mich, yoko and falken etc etc
Obviously for the english climate so dry wet and damp conditions
Also weight is always a factor when choosing the wheel so how come noone seems to bother with the tyre weights
Or are they the same ?
I need some 235/40/18s what should i buy where from and what price
thanks to all that reply:)

ukdave 19 October 2008 03:30 PM

Youre not going to get a good allrounder but toyo 888`s for the track.
suppose it depends which you want to sacrifice youre track experience or road as ones going to be at the expense of the other.

RA Dunk 19 October 2008 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ukdave (Post 8208435)
Youre not going to get a good allrounder but toyo 888`s for the track.
suppose it depends which you want to sacrifice youre track experience or road as ones going to be at the expense of the other.

R888`s for the road and track gets my vote, there ok in rain as well as long as theres a bit of temperature in them, hopelss in standing water though so be warned if you do decide to go down this road, downside is they dont come with deep tread in them and being a reasonably soft compound they dont tend to last very long lol :nono:

Pete 19 October 2008 05:54 PM

EagleF1 Asymmetric imo, great allrounder..........

NUTTYNICK 19 October 2008 06:03 PM

There isn't one, it's all down to your own driving style and preferences:)

Do you want outright grip from pulling out of your drive or after a few miles of spirited cornering?

Wet, dry or all round grip?

Do you want them to last for 6000miles or 2000miles?

Is money no object or do you have a budget?

The questions are limitless which is why I went for the Toyo's - so far, so good:)

wrx9181 19 October 2008 06:32 PM

always prefere quality so will pay more if its worth it though
dont care how long they last
dont mind warming them up
but want a progressive tyre not loads of grip loads loads then lets go and hello hedge if you now what i mean
dont think by whats been said that ill bother with the 888s as it rains most of the time in the uk so if its no good in the wet whats the point
Dont really drive hard on the road so prepaired to sacrifice road rather than track if this helps narrow it down:wonder:

NUTTYNICK 19 October 2008 07:11 PM

Certainly does:)

I can recommend the Toyo T1's or the Goodyear GSD-3 tyres for good all rounders at a reasonable cost with good quality.

Others have tried the Bridgestones as well which sound good but as I've not tried them personally, can't say either way:)

Whatever tyres you get, drive easily on them for a good couple of hundred miles to allow them to scrub in and 'harden' properly, otherwise you may get a false indication of how they really are or wear them out too fast.

MrMajic 19 October 2008 07:24 PM

I've got the Bridgestone RE 070S, which I like. They're coming toward the end of their lifest around 7000 miles or and was planning to go with the same again. What do people think about these tyres?

bighead 20 October 2008 02:31 AM

goodyear assymetric f1

corradoboy 20 October 2008 03:18 AM

I loved the RE070's. Can be nervous in the wet, but in the dry they are simply awesome on both road and track. I did 3 trackdays at Blyton Park (very abrasive surface) on mine, and another 16k road miles. They tramline quite badly on uneven surfaces due to the very rigid side-walls, but it is this which makes their cornering abilities so outstanding. On a roundabout near me they managed over 30mph more than the Toyo's which broke loose at 50, whereas it was my nerve which told me not to go any quicker on the RE070's, with not a hint of squeal or drift setting in.

Others worthy of consideration are the Vredestein Ultrac, or their new Sessanta which are very well respected on here, although I haven't driven them. I now run Hankook RS2's on my Fabia, which for a budget road/track tire are very good, especially at the price. My mate with an Ariel Atom recommended them to me as he preferred the progressive break-away and better wet grip they offered over his previous R888's.

The perennial favorites of GY Eagle F1 and Toyo T1R/S are always OK. I wasn't too impressed with the Toyo's TBH, finding them no better or worse than other budget rubber.

Ciaran 20 October 2008 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by bighead (Post 8209792)
goodyear assymetric f1

I will agree with that super tyres yet to find better

T5NYW 20 October 2008 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by corradoboy (Post 8209798)
I loved the RE070's. Can be nervous in the wet, but in the dry they are simply awesome on both road and track. I did 3 trackdays at Blyton Park (very abrasive surface) on mine, and another 16k road miles. They tramline quite badly on uneven surfaces due to the very rigid side-walls, but it is this which makes their cornering abilities so outstanding. On a roundabout near me they managed over 30mph more than the Toyo's which broke loose at 50, whereas it was my nerve which told me not to go any quicker on the RE070's, with not a hint of squeal or drift setting in..

Totally agree ^^^^ spot on

I reckon although quite twitchy, the Re070's still handled better in the wet than 18"s Toyo's T1r's

I wasn't too impressed with the Toyo's TBH, finding them no better or worse than other budget rubber.

I love my 18's T1R's because they don't tramline as Bridgestones notoriuos for tramling but strong tyrewalls :D

but my 18's T1R's I was totally underwelmed by the lack of grip :mad: :nono: (they might be good on 17"s) i could never recommend them although I can recommended Pirrelli Pzeros and Mich Pilotsport 2's

Others worthy of consideration are the Vredestein Sessanta .

Heard they are good value for the money but not tried them myself ;)

Tony

PantsUK 20 October 2008 02:54 PM

I found the re70s were great on lovely smooth tarmac but on everything else utter crapola they tramlined and twiched all over the place!

Scotsman 20 October 2008 04:15 PM

I've been happy with both Toyo T1's and Avon ZZ3's in the past.

The Chief 20 October 2008 04:28 PM

When i had my Classic i bought Toyo T1's due to recommendations, to be honest and i'm gonna stick my neck out here i found them rubbish, well ok in the dry and crap in the wet. A mate had some cheapo tyres and i swear grip was better and sliding was more progressive with those on.

A lot of people swear by Goodyear Eagle F1's

vash 20 October 2008 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by staffi (Post 8208735)
EagleF1 Asymmetric imo, great allrounder..........

+1

wrx9181 20 October 2008 06:56 PM

so most people who have replied say goodyear eagle f1 s ill give them a try but any other thoughts are very welcolme thanks to all who have replyed

wrx9181 20 October 2008 07:27 PM

Is this about right £119 each goodyear f1 assymetric been on a review site and these are def one of the best scoring tyres so much so that they out score the old eagle f1 s easy